Unpopular opinions - movies edition

DA Baracus

I enjoy Adam Sandler films too, although it's mostly the Little Nicky/Waterboy era ones, his newer ones arent the same.

I also think Sandler could've been a respected serious actor if he wanted too, as he clearly has talent.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I enjoy Adam Sandler films too, although it's mostly the Little Nicky/Waterboy era ones, his newer ones arent the same.

I also think Sandler could've been a respected serious actor if he wanted too, as he clearly has talent.

Talent, i'd agree with that. But i think he is lazy. 

On 9/29/2016 at 01:13, KingQuerrey said:

Martin Scorcese only has one good film. Which is Goodfellas.

Wolf of Wall Street, The Departed, Shutter Isand are all dreadfully overrated, predictable bores.

The Departed really grew on me. I think it gets a hard time as its not Goodfellas. 

So mods ban holocaust deniers but not Adam Sandler fans.....world's gone mad etc. I'll admit to being bitter as an ex cinema mgr when one week we were showing the dish (Sam Neill a veritable 9.9/10) and only 3 people watched it all week whilst whatever god awful Sandler monstrosity was sold out every showing and the cinema was full of barely evolved knuckle dragging scummers. Even worse I got a bonus that year due to the amount of popcorn guzzled by those shell suited primates......blood money. Which I spent ....i still feel guilty now. Anyway watch the dish. It's excellent. Adam Sandler blows.

On 18/09/2016 at 20:33, Stellaboz said:

The 2nd and 3rd Matrix films are actually good to watch, as long as you don't stand them up against the original and treat them slightly differently especially the 3rd.

Football Factory, like Green Street, is a brilliant comedy.

Zulu is far too long.

Any film involving Superman is sh*t.

A Shot at Glory is a decent watch, if only to see some cameo roles from the likes of Owen Coyle and Andy Smith.

Restless Native's has sadly not aged well no matter how good the soundtrack and seeing locations you've been to on film.

Spot on about about Football Factory and Green Street.

Comedy genius and numerous great lines to repeat with your mates in an an ironic and highly entertaining manner. 

On 9/28/2016 at 19:13, yoda said:

You've got the wrong end of the stick RG: The Dark Knight was an amalgamation of two original scripts written as sequels to Batman Begins. That was either just before or just after Batman Begins was made.

The Dark Knight gets some undeserved stick on here. It's a good film let down by the rushed Two Face plotline (Goyer originally wrote a script for a third film involving Harvey Dent's turn into Two Face, it was used for the one film because initially Christopher Nolan had no plans for a trilogy). I think all three are decent films (although not without a number of flaws), with Batman Begins being comfortably the best "comic book movie" of all time.

Its the best Batman film no doubt, followed closely by the first of the Tim Burton Batman's. While not as well written as Nolan's batman, TB's Batman has an amazing soundtrack, a better villain, amazing aesthetics, the best Batmobile by far and a pretty solid performance by Michael Keaton, the whole scene between him and The Joker in Vicky Vale's apartment in particular is outstanding. Keaton is a greatly underrated actor in my opinion and this is one of his better performances.  The only reason i dont rate it higher than Batman Begins is the Origin story, having the Joker be the killer of Bruce's parents was kinda stupid and they never flesh out any of how Bruce becomes batman, they just open with him already being.

My only real criticism of Bale's Batman was the dry voice he would use. The final scene between him and The Joker in The Dark Knight was ruined by that fucking voice.

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I had no idea anyone liked Tim Burtons Batman films, tbh

The second one isn't as good, really didn't like Danny Devito as Penguin, i think he was a superb casting for the role, but the version they made was awful. Did enjoy Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman though :wub:

latest?cb=20120508235505

My only real criticism of Bale's Batman was the dry voice he would use. The final scene between him and The Joker in The Dark Knight was ruined by that fucking voice.

I'm positive I've had this discussion elsewhere, but Nolan's 'Batman voice' is what makes him stand out as the best portrayal IMO. Keaton was good, but his voice hardly changed from his Bruce Wayne persona to Batman. I'm confident I would recognise someone I know with a mask on if they didn't change their voice. I wouldn't recognise someone if the did a Baleesque Batman voice :lol:

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm positive I've had this discussion elsewhere, but Nolan's 'Batman voice' is what makes him stand out as the best portrayal IMO. Keaton was good, but his voice hardly changed from his Bruce Wayne persona to Batman. I'm confident I would recognise someone I know with a mask on if they didn't change their voice. I wouldn't recognise someone if the did a Baleesque Batman voice :lol:

Im really not a fan of the voice, it just doesn't fit Batman. It sounds more like a parody

Utter dross;
Every Spiderman film
Every Superman film
Every Indiana Jones film
Every Aliens film
Every Fast&Furious film (is that unpopular? Must be, there's fucking 8 of them)
Birdman
There Will Be Blood
Gladiator

- - - - - - - - - -

Most Nicolas Cage films are great if viewed as spoofs.

2 hours ago, Mik said:

Utter dross;
Every Spiderman film
Every Superman film
Every Indiana Jones film
Every Aliens film
Every Fast&Furious film (is that unpopular? Must be, there's fucking 8 of them)
Birdman
There Will Be Blood
Gladiator

- - - - - - - - - -

Most Nicolas Cage films are great if viewed as spoofs.

16539.jpg

Blasphemy! 

The Force Awakens is the second best Star Wars film. Indeed the order from best to worst is;

The Empire Strikes Back

The Force Awakens

Return of The Jedi

A New Hope

The Phantom Menace

Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones

Batman Returns is dreadful. I used to be a fan but it was on ITV4 a few months back and I found to be unwatchable garbage. It might be worse than both of Schumacher's films, at least they're fun (even if they're objectively terrible, terrible movies) and have a couple of redeeming features.

I'd actually agree with DA Baracus regarding Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones is comfortably the worst.

Archived