Unpopular opinions - movies edition

DA Baracus

You've got the wrong end of the stick RG: The Dark Knight was an amalgamation of two original scripts written as sequels to Batman Begins. That was either just before or just after Batman Begins was made.

The Dark Knight gets some undeserved stick on here. It's a good film let down by the rushed Two Face plotline (Goyer originally wrote a script for a third film involving Harvey Dent's turn into Two Face, it was used for the one film because initially Christopher Nolan had no plans for a trilogy). I think all three are decent films (although not without a number of flaws), with Batman Begins being comfortably the best "comic book movie" of all time.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've got the wrong end of the stick RG: The Dark Knight was an amalgamation of two original scripts written as sequels to Batman Begins. That was either just before or just after Batman Begins was made.

The Dark Knight gets some undeserved stick on here. It's a good film let down by the rushed Two Face plotline (Goyer originally wrote a script for a third film involving Harvey Dent's turn into Two Face, it was used for the one film because initially Christopher Nolan had no plans for a trilogy). I think all three are decent films (although not without a number of flaws), with Batman Begins being comfortably the best "comic book movie" of all time.

Fair enough, just remember reading about it somewhere

Batman Begins is just an excellent film IMO. I'm not one for superhero films but am Batman daft. I think the reason for this is because of all the major superheroes he's the one that is the most realistic*. Batman Begins is a film showing how a (absolutely minted) man can go from nothing to a successful vigilante. It's a cracking backstory film IMO and I'd probably rate it slightly ahead of DKR.

* I'm aware it's still an unrealistic thing but the point is that it's more believable than a spider bite or a man flying around the sky.

I think Adam Sandler produces predominantly good films (based on the ones I've seen below). Jack and Jill is the exception, brutal. No idea what he was smoking when he did that one.

Going Overboard - Fail
Billy Maddison - Pass
Happy Gilmour - Pass
The Wedding Singer - Pass
Big Daddy - Pass
Mr Deeds - Pass
Anger Management - Pass
Spanglish - Pass
50 First Dates - Pass
The Longest Yard - Pass
Click - Pass
Chuck and Larry - Pass
Reign Over Me - Pass
Grown Ups/2 - Passes
Just Go With It - Pass
Jack and Jill - Fail
Blended - Pass
The Cobbler - Pass

I've seen That's My Boy but I genuinely can't remember anything from it. Also put Funny People on for about 15 minutes but turned it off so can't really judge it based on 15 minutes.

7 hours ago, KingQuerrey said:

Martin Scorcese only has one good film. Which is Goodfellas.

Wolf of Wall Street, The Departed, Shutter Isand are all dreadfully overrated, predictable bores.

I'd disagree with that. I'm not a fan of Goodfellas. The King Of Comedy is my favourite Scorsese film, closely followed by Mean Streets and Taxi Driver.

Goodfellas is comfortably my favourite gangster film. I've still to watch a couple of 'classics' yet though.

The Lion King is my favourite Disney film and is probably in my Top 10 favourite films as well. So I'm not yet sure how I feel about this https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37494861?client=safari

Grown Ups is an abominable piece of shit. Hateful even. I'm not saying this is an unpopular opinion mind; more it's just a retort to the person who said it was a decent film. 

I've not seen the sequel, and I have no plans to.

19QOS19 is the only person I've ever seen or heard who's claimed to be a fan of Adam Sandler's movies in general, as opposed to just liking one or two. Considering how popular they are, it must be one of those great guilty secrets that nobody talks about, like buying Coldplay albums or feeling safer when DA Baracus is hiding in the tree outside the house.

I'd add The Last Temptation of Christ to the good Scorsese film list. I haven't enjoyed anything he's done in the past twenty years, although I haven't seen that Wall Street film yet, as I can't stand the exceedingly-popular DiCaprio.

19QOS19 is the only person I've ever seen or heard who's claimed to be a fan of Adam Sandler's movies in general, as opposed to just liking one or two. Considering how popular they are, it must be one of those great guilty secrets that nobody talks about, like buying Coldplay albums or feeling safer when DA Baracus is hiding in the tree outside the house.

I'd add The Last Temptation of Christ to the good Scorsese film list. I haven't enjoyed anything he's done in the past twenty years, although I haven't seen that Wall Street film yet, as I can't stand the exceedingly-popular DiCaprio.

I'm also a big Coldplay fan :lol:

Fight the power!

I used to quite like his Hanukkah songs, to be fair to him. Still can't believe that he turned down the Bear Jew role in Inglourious Basterds; Eli Roth was OK, but Sandler pimping out with the baseball bat would have brought the house down, and his brand of scary rage would have worked perfectly.

2 hours ago, Saigon Raider said:

Big Daddy and Mr Deeds are two of the worst things to ever happen in history.

Nonsense. They're both great films.

19QOS19 seems to have missed out Little Nicky and You Don't Mess With The Zohan, two fantastic films (especially the latter).

Nonsense. They're both great films.

19QOS19 seems to have missed out Little Nicky and You Don't Mess With The Zohan, two fantastic films (especially the latter).

Not missed them out, just haven't watched them so can't give my assessment of them.

Archived