Unpopular opinions - movies edition

DA Baracus

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Phantom Menace is shit but it's the best of the prequels. Qui Gonn was good and was really wasted. Darth Maul was alright. And it featured the least annoying version of Anakin. Obviously there's loads of absolute pish in it as well and it's by no means a good film, but it's better than Revenge of the Sith and Attack of the Clones.

Return of the Jedi (only just) beats A New Hope due to the dynamics between Luke, Vader and The Emperor. And Ackbar shouting "Its a trap!"

1 hour ago, yoda said:

Batman Returns is dreadful. I used to be a fan but it was on ITV4 a few months back and I found to be unwatchable garbage. It might be worse than both of Schumacher's films, at least they're fun (even if they're objectively terrible, terrible movies) and have a couple of redeeming features.

I'd actually agree with DA Baracus regarding Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones is comfortably the worst.

Batman Forever is actually a pretty decent film, better than Batman Returns no doubt. It was before Schumacher went full batshit crazy with the camp. Val Kilmer was a decent Batman, not great but for the film he did a good enough job. Jim Carrey as the Riddler was actually pretty fun. 

If i was to rate the Batman films it would go

Batman Begins,
Batman (1989)
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises (I actually think these 2 are as good as each other)
Batman vs Superman
Batman Forever
Batman Returns
Batman and Robin. 

And if i was to rate Batman's/Bruce Wayne's it would go

Bale - Best Bruce Wayne - Good Batman, great look but the fighting style is hammy looking and the voice is annoying. Bale nails the smug rich kid/playboy Bruce Wayne. The Duality between Batman/Bruce is very well done here.

Affleck - Best Batman - I know this one will surprise, but in terms of his look, the fighting style and such he has it spot on. The scene in BVS where he saves Martha, the use of gadgets and traps when he is fighting, everything its just how Batman should be. Okay Bruce Wayne, could be better admittedly but its early days, think its much more important to nail the Batman first and thus far he has had the least screentime of any of the Movie Batman's. Add to that you have an amazing Joker and Harley Quinn to bounce off, it just gets better.

Kilmer - Decent Batman, Decent Wayne - Not really anything noteworthy here

Keaton - Great Batman, Good Wayne - As i said earlier i love Keatons Batman and while he doesn't really do the duality justice his Wayne is still good.

Clooney - Worst Batman, Worst Wayne. just awful. Could have been a great Bruce Wayne but he phones it in.

19 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

The Lemon Popsicle films are far better than most Hollywood teen comedies and deserve more credit.

Jackie Chan would square Bruce Lee right up.

Slapshot is the best sports movie of all time.

Cobra is Stallone's finest film.

Not really controversial or unpopular that one. 

There's no way Return of the Jedi is a better film than A New Hope.

The correct order is:

Empire Strikes Back
A New Hope
Return of the Jedi
The Force Awakens

The Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith

Attack of the Clones.

I'd even put Caravan of Courage ahead of Attack of the Clones.

I'd agree with The Force Awakens in second behind Empire Strikes Back. And then A New Hope. As far as the prequels go, I think episodes 2 and 3 have a fair number of enjoyable scenes among the gash that surrounds it, while Episode 1 really lacks and I think it's far and away the worst of the lot.

Episode 1 has arguably the best lightsaber fight of them all with Maul v Qui Gon & Obi Wan.
Attack of the Clones has zero redeeming features. The bit in the droid factory in particular is like a bloody terrible computer game.

8 minutes ago, munro7 said:

Episode 1 has arguably the best lightsaber fight of them all with Maul v Qui Gon & Obi Wan.
Attack of the Clones has zero redeeming features. The bit in the droid factory in particular is like a bloody terrible computer game.

Literally the only reason to ever watch Ep 1. Darth Maul had so much potential as a bad guy, but then they gave him one line of dialogue and killed him off immediately to be replaced by Christopher Lee in probably his worst role in his career and eventually replaced by a fucking robot with a Jamaican accent. The Prequels did so many things wrong but i agree there are a couple of decent scenes. This and Obi Wan vs Anakin are the highlights. 

There's a channel on Youtube that goes through how movies should've happened, and they done it for the Star Wars prequels. Basically it revolved around Darth Maul escaping in TPM, as opposed to being cut in half. This then led to Obi Wan hunting him down over possibly two films, being consumed by rage and neglecting Anakin, which would make him much more susceptible to being enticed by the Dark Side of the Force. Would've been far better than trade embargoes and politics, that's for sure.

10 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

There's a channel on Youtube that goes through how movies should've happened, and they done it for the Star Wars prequels. Basically it revolved around Darth Maul escaping in TPM, as opposed to being cut in half. This then led to Obi Wan hunting him down over possibly two films, being consumed by rage and neglecting Anakin, which would make him much more susceptible to being enticed by the Dark Side of the Force. Would've been far better than trade embargoes and politics, that's for sure.

Whilst the prequels certainly could have been done better, if they'd followed that route people would have just said they'd copied the originals. Older mentor (Qui-gon/Obi-Wan) killed by Sith Lord, who then gets pursued by their apprentice. Then again, The Force Awakens just copied the originals and everybody seemed to lap it up.

The correct order is:

Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
A New Hope
The Phantom Menace
Revenge of the Sith
The Force Awakens
Attack of the Clones

PS. The Lion King is massively over-rated.

13 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

And what if Padme was turned to the Dark Side between Ep 1 and 2 and was used by Palpatine to influence and coerce Anakin and further his fall to the dark side?

Archived