Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

Mmmmmm.... not convinced by that from Willie Miller. I did think he got a little better second half tbf but a 7 would make him the 2nd best player on the park for Scotland, along with McCarthur and behind Robertson (which is probably correct at an 8, played very well) and doesn't sit well with me. Thought Bannan and Ritchie did okay but by and large, outwith Robertson, I'm struggling to give any of them anything higher than a 6.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big unit of a laddy who can throw a ball quite far.

Superb, should get a 9 at least for that. Away from his shot-put potential and back on to football, Paterson was gash.

I actually rate him as a prospect but he's nowhere near there yet. Feel a bit sorry for the likes of him and Martin. It's not their fault that they're being played well above their level.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Arguing that forrest n Martin are better than Burke n fletcher? ?? Burke did more v Malta than Forrest has in all his caps combined. Martin being so static is hilariously bad for entire team....except it's not funny....after 18 years maybe we should stop picking cloggers when we have have better available would be a shout

As I said in my post, I'm not saying you are right or wrong, I'm saying that you arguments were based on utter bollocks.

Burke did f**k all against Malta, whoa are absolutely fucking shite. All I've seen him to is run past his man and then run it straight out, lose possession or fail to find a pass/cross/shot. Fletcher has been equally static for Scotland in the last few years, generally contributing nothing and his touches consist of the ball bouncing wildly off of his foot. There is more to Martin's game than that but he was evidently told by Strachan to act as a target man, hold up the ball and try to bring Ritchie, Burke and Snodgrass into play. That is the work of a pathetic tactician, not a poor striker.

What would your squad, or even first 11 be, pray tell?

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Willie Millers ratings...

Marshall - 6

Paterson - 7

Martin - 6

Hanley - 6

Robertson - 8

Fletcher - 5

Bannan - 6

Burke - 6

Snodgrass - 5

Ritchie - 6

Martin - 6

McArthur - 7

Forrest - 5

Griffiths - 5

Take 10 off and then work out the less work shy, less embarrassing, less than Lithuania shower of shite.

1 minute ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Big unit of a laddy who can throw a ball quite far.

Superb, should get a 9 at least for that. Away from his shot putt potential and back on to football, Paterson was gash.

I actually rate him as a prospect but he's nowhere near there yet. Feel a bit sorry for the likes of him and Martin. It's not their fault that they're being played well above their level.

Yeah, agree on that - do think that Paterson has it in him to progress, possibly while still at Hearts, possibly with a move to Celtic or a low-tier English Premiership side but certainly only if he gets the right coaching, and he *could* end up being first choice right back for the full national team, but Martin isn't going to ever be of use against anyone other than the diddiest of diddy sides, and even then there's still better options.

The good news is that Slovakia were beaten tonight by a team who struggled from behind to draw with Lithuania. Clearly, the points are in the bag.

(you can use that one for free, Gordon)

Slovakia are short of half a first team, but they've faced two of the three toughest games in the group. They'll be very pleased to realise that Scotland earned just four points outfit from an absolutely piss-easy, six point start.

We are in one of the easiest groups that we could possibly have hoped for - on top of that our other second place rivals keep cutting each others throats to our advantage. In typical Scottish fashion we yet again contrive to be the masters of our own downfall with an abysmal performance for about 70 minutes of that match. That was a match that we absolutely had to win but we start off with a reserved cautious approach which made it easy for Lithunia to settle into the match. If we had played with the same tempo as we did when we were chasing the match we would have won that game comfortably. Surely we have to pile on the pressure in these home games from the word go , get the crowd behind us and the goals will inevitably come.

An overly cautious set up allied to poor tactics - not starting Leigh Griffiths was a big mistake when we see what he gave us in last few minutes.

3 hours ago, eckthearab said:

Sorry forgot to add, Hanley can do one, as much as I hate the boy surely Berra should have been in. Playing regularly for a better team than Hanley and someone who might actually give a f**k

I thought you said "rant over" in your last post.

Guest DAVIDB69
Hmmm. Unless something rather miraculous happens, I don't see us finishing above 4th this campaign #wherewebelong

4th is our level that it's been that way for some time now

3 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

We are in one of the easiest groups that we could possibly have hoped for - on top of that our other second place rivals keep cutting each others throats to our advantage. In typical Scottish fashion we yet again contrive to be the masters of our own downfall with an abysmal performance for about 70 minutes of that match. That was a match that we absolutely had to win but we start off with a reserved cautious approach which made it easy for Lithunia to settle into the match. If we had played with the same tempo as we did when we were chasing the match we would have won that game comfortably. Surely we have to pile on the pressure in these home games from the word go , get the crowd behind us and the goals will inevitably come.

An overly cautious set up allied to poor tactics - not starting Leigh Griffiths was a big mistake when we see what he gave us in last few minutes.

Spot on

We are still guilty, at least for the home games, of giving the opposition too much consideration. That reflected the formation, selection and overly cautious approach which played right into their hands

It was a night for 3 at the back sitting there, and let guys like Anya, Snodgrass, Maloney etc go at them with Fletcher and Griffiths up front. On the front foot early, ball players, cut them open, not just reverting to high balls into the box which suited Lithuania

We all know to qualify, even in second, you need to get as many points as possible. You need to go for it, especially at home. Unless we change the mindset and quickly, we've no chance qualifying. Even more of a shame when we've been in harder group's but have better players now

Willie Millers ratings...

Marshall - 6

Paterson - 7

Martin - 6

Hanley - 6

Robertson - 8

Fletcher - 5

Bannan - 6

Burke - 6

Snodgrass - 5

Ritchie - 6

Martin - 6

McArthur - 7

Forrest - 5

Griffiths - 5

Willie Miller is a fucking idiot tbf. He should've been put into a retirement home years ago yet he's still being allowed to appear on open all mics and commentates on games when he doesn't even know any other sides players out with Aberdeen. p***k.

Archived