Scotland v Lithuania

TheScarf

Martin has 7 starts this season, 5 of which he was subbed. 0 goals and 0 assists. Apart from a tap in and being the victim of a brutal assault in Malta he is bang out of form.

Fletcher has 10 starts, subbed off 4 times with 3 goals and 2 assists and looked decent against Malta. He is the logical choice here.

Fully expect WGS to throw a curveball tonight though

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

We have three good keepers, and Marshall is the number one until he does something to lose it.  If he keeps doing what he is doing, he'll probably never lose it despite arguably being the poorest of the three.

I'm assuming you're including McGregor and not Jack Hamilton?!

Tried picking my XI for tonight's game online. Our options at centre back are truly atrocious.

4 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

I'm assuming you're including McGregor and not Jack Hamilton?!

Tried picking my XI for tonight's game online. Our options at centre back are truly atrocious.

Yes, indeed.  Jack Hamilton's shite.  

Martin has 7 starts this season, 5 of which he was subbed. 0 goals and 0 assists. Apart from a tap in and being the victim of a brutal assault in Malta he is bang out of form.

Fletcher has 10 starts, subbed off 4 times with 3 goals and 2 assists and looked decent against Malta. He is the logical choice here.

Fully expect WGS to throw a curveball tonight though

There's a certain irony in wgs sticking with fletcher when he couldn't buy a goal and no club wanted him yet as soon as he hits some decent form drops him for a guy who has no goals or assists this season and only 7 odd goals in his last 50 matches....

We're not very good, but Lithuania are site and in a rebuilding phase. I don't think they have any players playing top flight football outwith footballing backwaters at the moment.

If we take a positive approach we'll have no problems taking two or three goals off of this mob.

The Euro campaign fell on its are in Tblisi but that was the only qualifier we failed to score in.

As mentioned the main worry for this campaign is keeping the ball out of our net not our ability to score, as we have goals in nearly every variation of the front four.

While no doubt we'll give our visitors a consolation goal I feel we should win by a couple. I'd go 3 or 4 goals to one inScotland's favour. I'd in some ways be just as happy with a 1-0 victory but that's unlikely in my book.

You would kill for a back four with Steven Pressley and 2006 Gary Naysmith in it? Robertson and Tierney are both comfortably better left backs than Naysmith was by that point in his career and while they have their weaknesses, Martin and Hanley are considerably better players than Pressley ever was. Dailly would be preferable to Paterson but he was a decidedly average player himself. Our squad now is stronger in every area of the park.

Are you serious???
I'll admit to perhaps Pressley being the week link of that back four but in 2006 he was Hearts' Captain, had just led them to 2nd in the league, had lifted the Scottish Cup that year and took them to the semis of the League Cup, he was arguably playing at the top of his game!!!
Naysmith was fully fit in 2006 playing in the top tier with Everton and was on his way to overtaking Maurice Malpas as our most capped left back ever, if his career hadn't effectively ended the following year when his cruciate got done. A distinction he would already have if he hadn't lost the previous two years to injury remember. And yes whilst I agree that Robertson and Tierney and both class options to have, as defensive fullbacks they can't lace Naysmiths boots (yet) their strengths are in the attacking side of their game not the dirty work, which is what we really need now!!!
You say that Dailly was average, but he would walk into our starting 11 now, he was also handy as being the "Utility Man" that WGS considers Mulgrew to be but with the difference being that Dailly could actually do a turn for us in various roles!!!
I note that you didn't mention Davie Weir so I take it you would agree with him being in the side???

Never rated Fletcher at all for club and international but would like to see Fletcher start this as his performances for Sheffield Wednesday have been fantastic this season giving his all in every game he's played in and he should be high in confidence because of his own performances. He's been winning balls in the air and holding up the ball very well and has been getting into good positions in the box. He's defeinatly the inform striker in the squad just now and should start because of that.

Team i'd like to see:

Marshall

Patterson  Martin  Berra  Robertson

Fletcher McArthur

Ritchie  Snodgrass  Burke

Fletcher

What I think we will get:

Marshall

Patterson  Martin  Greer  Robertson

Fletcher  Morrison

Forrest  Snodgrass  Ritchie

Naismith/Martin

Ssn reporting that Martin starts. Honestly can't see how anyone would think Martin should start ahead of fletcher. Hope that it ends up fine but at some point I think Strachan's stubbornness is going to waste another campaign.

I wasn't a fan of Bannan to begin with but he seems to make a big difference in unlocking stubborn teams with his passing. I might choose D.Fletcher alongside him with McArthur narrowly missing out. I would also pick S. Fletcher ahead of Martin but i'm not bothered either way there.

I've loved Bannan since seeing him against Lithuania the last time out :lol: I didn't think he was defensively good enough to play one of the holding roles, but I think we can risk it against Lithuania, Malta and (maybe) Slovenia.
I'd also like to see McArthur start, but he's not gonna drop the captain.

Archived