Killer Clowns

ICTChris

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we have any actual coulrophobes on P&B? Don't think I've ever met one, although I suppose it's not the kind of thing you're going to admit until you turn into a blubbering mess in front of your mates at a McDonalds' birthday party.

I'm unfortunately well aware that coulrophilia is a thing. The internet contains horrors that no number of kittens and hugs can erase.

Do we have any actual coulrophobes on P&B? Don't think I've ever met one, although I suppose it's not the kind of thing you're going to admit until you turn into a blubbering mess in front of your mates at a McDonalds' birthday party.

I'm unfortunately well aware that coulrophilia is a thing. The internet contains horrors that no number of kittens and hugs can erase.

Me. I openly admit to becoming a shivering mess whenever I see one. Real life or virtual

Clowns are all virgins

Doubt it. There's bound to be a few rapey ones out there, those crying inside desperate to know what closeness and affection feels like before brutally murdering you, most likely using one of those fake guns with the "bang!" flag inside of it before pulling out the real deal and decorating the room with your brain detail.

That said, some might just be of the relatively innocent "hey, wanna see my giant twisty marshmallow flump?" happy flasher variety:

9fa13e960e497e393d8024f5095edf85.jpg

And now the clowns are pissed off.........

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-37611993

Creepy clowns' craze: Professionals hit out at pranksters

By Danielle HaydenBBC News
  • 29 minutes ago
  •  
  • From the sectionEngland
Media captionProfessional clown Mattie Faint has criticised the pranksters as 'idiots'

Professional clowns have hit out at pranksters who have been dressing up as"creepy clowns" to intimidate and frighten people across the UK.

Police have been inundated with reports of "clowns" jumping out, chasing people and even carrying "weapons" - and have warned them they could face action.

But the craze has left real clowns feeling frustrated their profession is being portrayed in a negative way.

A World Clown Association executive said the trend was "disappointing".

On Tuesday, more clown sightings were reported across England in areas including Norwich, Carlisle, Lancashire and Bristol.

Confessions of a 'killer clown'

The culprits are said to be following a trend that started in the US and has spread to other countries, including Canada, Australia and France.

'Idiot in a mask'

Media captionThis footage of a "creepy clown" was shot at a restaurant in Bracknell Clown masksImage copyrightGETTY IMAGES Image captionMost of the pranksters wear masks rather than traditional make-up

Andrew Davis, from Suffolk - otherwise known as Andy the Clown - said these type of incidents often happened around Halloween time.

Mr Davis, of the World Clown Association, said: "A genuine clown would not run up to somebody and make them jump and frighten them.

Clowns are something that should be enjoyed by people, not feared Pat the Clown, Professional clown

"That is an idiot dressed up in a mask trying to scare people.

"It makes me feel disappointed that the easiest way they can get a cheap thrill is to scare somebody."

But despite his anger, Andy said business was still good - and he is booked up until Christmas.

Why are we scared of clowns?

The Dark Knight Joker maskImage copyrightGETTY / YOSHIKAZU TSUNO

The fear of clowns, also known as Coulrophobia, is said to be one of the leading phobias in the UK.

Professor Mark Griffiths, a chartered psychologist at Nottingham Trent University, says clowns tend to be scary because of their exaggerated looks and evil representation in films.

"The vast majority of people are not scared of clowns day-to-day but a clown's face has become part of a scare culture.

"There is a stereotype of the nasty, evil, eerie clown. If you look at clowns facially what you tend to find is part of their face or feet are exaggerated, they have huge noses, scary mouths and wildfire hair.

"We also have a cinematic trope. If you look at everything from Heath Ledger in Batman to Stephen King's It, we've got these characters with clown faces that are either killing people or doing really nasty things.

Even if you have not come into contact with clowns, you're influenced by what you see in television and films."

Pat the Clown wearing traditional face paint and holding a balloonImage copyrightPAT THE CLOWN / BBC Image captionPat the Clown said he had been trying to play down "negative" clown stereotypes for 25 years

Pat the Clown, based in Birmingham, said the craze - which he believes is inspired by American films - could actually hit the clown industry.

"It's quite disgusting. It's potentially going to have an adverse effect on us if it persists," he said.

"I have been trying to play down the more negative aspects of clowns as somebody to be frightened of, for the last 25 years.

"Clowns are something that should be enjoyed by people, not feared."

Stephen King tweetImage copyrightMARK MCGREGOR

Horror writer Stephen King, who created one of horror's most iconic "evil" clowns - Pennywise form his novel "It" - is among those who have said the craze has gone too far.

He tweeted: "Hey, guys, time to cool the clown hysteria--most of em are good, cheer up the kiddies, make people laugh."

Nottingham-based clown Jolly Jingles is also feeling unhappy about the trend.

"I have been a clown for 16 years and I would not want to go around scaring people," he said.

"It makes me very sad because I like making people happy.

"People have asked me if I would go to their Halloween event and scare people - I always say no."

Andy the Clown puts on his make-up Image captionAndy the Clown dismissed the craze as people looking for "cheap thrills"

A number of police forces across the country have been called out to deal with "creepy clowns".

Ch Con Mike Barton, of the National Police Chiefs Council, said: "Police forces have been dealing with some instances of people who are dressing up as clowns in order to frighten others.

"While some might view this as funny, the act of frightening or threatening others may be enough to warrant public order criminal offences."

People with concerns are advised to call police on 101.

Share this story About sharing

Archived