Raith v Queens (4th v 3rd) Alba Live 29th October @ 1715 hours.

37 minutes ago, MC_Lachlan said:

How's Grantie getting on at Queens? One of my favourite players for us in recent times, will be good to see him back at Starks (as long as he doesn't score a backwards flick header to win the game). 

Started like a house on fire but his drop in form has coincided with our slump. 

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Raith at Palmerston seemed to respect us way too much and focused on stopping us play  by shitfesting the midfield rather than trying to take the game to us. Whereas when I watched them at Falkirk they were getting in Mark Kerr's face and being  positive away from home though Falkirk being a fairly narrow team and reverting to long balls certainly played into their hands. Hopefully we are able to keep it on the deck and be fairly quick against big units like Mvoto and non defenders like McHattie. Praying for King Derek to return and get Dykes/Anderson/Brotherston out wide. The great injury crisis of October 2016 can't end soon enough.

Barr is one of my favourite non Queens players in Championship over the past couple of years, so him missing or not being 100% would be welcome. 

I'd hope Davo is still at right back coz every game he has played in the midfield we have dropped a better player to accommodate him and we have not done as well. Think McManus could do with some time on the bench we works hard but not been as good as his first few starts so would also like to see if Vaughan and stewart could strike up their partnership of before. And think McManus would be a better option of coming from the bench if we need to change things. 1st goal will be massive so whoever gets that will prob win

Big game.

A win here would see us have cancelled out the the two previous defeats against Falkirk and Queens (competitors for play off spots) - and the head to heads are vitally important IMO. Six pointers and all that.

I also don't think its a coincidence that we started picking up (very good) points as soon as Davo vacates the midfield. I hope he is at RB or on the bench on Saturday. 

If Derek Lyle is missing that would be a big bonus for us. Queens fans, any news?

Work is preventing me from attending this one so for selfish reasons the fact its on alba is splendid.

No real idea about how the game will go. Hopefully we play well and pick up what would be a huge 3 points.

52 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

If Derek Lyle is missing that would be a big bonus for us. Queens fans, any news?

He was ruled out for a further 3-4 weeks last midweek. Even if he makes a sudden Lazarus like recovery he's not going to start out of the blue. I wouldn't expect to see him but even if by some miracle we did it would surely be from the bench.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He was ruled out for a further 3-4 weeks last midweek. Even if he makes a sudden Lazarus like recovery he's not going to start out of the blue. I wouldn't expect to see him but even if by some miracle we did it would surely be from the bench.

Ah I see. Shame for the boy and a shiter for you lot. It does however help us!

8 hours ago, Raithie said:

A winnable game imo. I'll plump for a 2-1 Rovers win.

Interesting one if Smith is fit for this. Does Locke disrupt a winning team and change things around or stick with the same team that beat Falkirk? Anyhoo if Smith is fit then this game will be his last (unless we speak to Hearts about extending his loan) as he was only meant to be here til the end of October. 

If the loan isn't going to be extended, bench. If it is, play him.

Ultimately, Smith is a right back and it's daft to leave him out when we have a player out of position there instead. If there's a place you can make a case for change after last week, it's in defence. 

BBC Alba love this fixture for some reason. Looking forward to watching it - a much better time to be playing Queens than the last time. 

1 hour ago, Michael W said:

If the loan isn't going to be extended, bench. If it is, play him.

Ultimately, Smith is a right back and it's daft to leave him out when we have a player out of position there instead. If there's a place you can make a case for change after last week, it's in defence. 

BBC Alba love this fixture for some reason. Looking forward to watching it - a much better time to be playing Queens than the last time. 

I'm rather bemused to admit this, but Davo looked absolutely assured at right back against Falkirk. I was worried when Hippolyte started on the wing, but he totally controlled the game and didn't look out of sorts there. I said to Renton at the game, it's almost Ellis-like how he'll just try to adapt to any position. 

1 hour ago, rw89 said:

I'm rather bemused to admit this, but Davo looked absolutely assured at right back against Falkirk. I was worried when Hippolyte started on the wing, but he totally controlled the game and didn't look out of sorts there. I said to Renton at the game, it's almost Ellis-like how he'll just try to adapt to any position. 

He may well have done, though over time it'll likely cause issues. Smith will offer a lot more going forward, which we miss when Thomson isn't available. 

On the basis of the highlights, I'd play him at CB instead of M'Voto next week, if I'm honest. It is a short clip of the game which no doubt misses the better defensive moments, but I thought we looked vulnerable at the back. M'Voto looked the weaker individually (done for their first, fell on his arse prior to Kerr's miss) and was like the rest posted a bit missing for Falkirk's second. I may be being unfair to M'Voto on the basis of the highlights, but a change at the back wouldn't go amiss I don't think. 

Locke might throw us all a huge curve ball.

A back 3 of Davo, Mvoto and Bene

5 across the middle with Matthews, Barr, Callachan, Thomson and McHattie/Coulstrain/Johnston

Up front Stewart & McManus/Vaughan..

Nah can't see it either, it'll be 4-4-2 and hopefully with Smith back in.

I'd be for Locke keeping an unchanged side for this one.

M'Voto had a bit of a nightmare start on Saturday but he came on to a game and overall he's been pretty solid for us. You can sort of see why he was at PSG and Sunderland and why he's now at us, but for me, he's good enough.

I would agree that Davidson looked comfortable at right back against a decent enough winger. However, I've not seen Liam Smith play. If he's the better option then I wouldn't be against a change, but being old school, like Locke, I don't see the point in changing a winning team as there is no substitute for confidence.

Tough game - both sides capable of winning this one and both capable of meh.

We defended very very well for 90% of the game on Sat vs Falkirk, but I'm still not sure about M'Voto.  All it takes is one bad mistake, and a player like Dobbie will punish that. 

Point would be fine, but a win would be absolutely brilliant and really set us up for the derby.

I'd be for Locke keeping an unchanged side for this one.

M'Voto had a bit of a nightmare start on Saturday but he came on to a game and overall he's been pretty solid for us. You can sort of see why he was at PSG and Sunderland and why he's now at us, but for me, he's good enough.

I would agree that Davidson looked comfortable at right back against a decent enough winger. However, I've not seen Liam Smith play. If he's the better option then I wouldn't be against a change, but being old school, like Locke, I don't see the point in changing a winning team as there is no substitute for confidence.

I never realised M'Voto was at Paris Saint Germain and Sunderland.

Came through the youth system at PSG

I don't think I've seen him lose a header to anyone yet. Wouldn't drop him. He makes mistakes when the ball is on the deck but a lot of teams at this level tend to resort to long balls if things aren't going their way. He's the perfect centre half for that.

Neither did I until I looked at his Wiki page. A whopping no appearances for either. But he was still signed by these clubs so they must have seen something.

Evidently the big man is more affectionately known as The Animal.

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nosworthy-is-backing-mvoto-4501267

38 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Came through the youth system at PSG

I don't think I've seen him lose a header to anyone yet. Wouldn't drop him. He makes mistakes when the ball is on the deck but a lot of teams at this level tend to resort to long balls if things aren't going their way. He's the perfect centre half for that.

IIRC when Brian Graham came on as a sub for Ross County he was bossed a couple of times.

Archived