Gavin Skelton departs Queen of the South

19 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

I'm not the roaster that thinks Morton are some kind of force in Scottish football. Got to hampden and received a swording at the hands of the Dons in first gear. Well done though a semi final appearance in the league cup is probably the greatest achievement by a Morton side in your lifetime. Maybe on a par with climbing back up from the third division to a second place finish runs it close though ? 

Hard lines champ, thanks for playing. Gutted for you. 

Bless: I see that you've tried to play the much thumbed "in your lifetime" card, used by permadiddies to try and shout down historic successes. 

Unfortunately for you, not only have we already established that Morton in the 2012/13 campaign easily surpassed every Queen of the South league finish over the past sixty years - Morton have also won more league titles in my lifetime than Queen of the South have won in the club's all-time history. The last quarter-century of Morton's glorious history being sufficient to surpass pretty much everything that your club has 'achieved' in its entire existence

Back in your box then. 

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Bless: I see that you've tried to play the much thumbed "in your lifetime" card, used by permadiddies to try and shout down historic successes. 

Unfortunately for you, not only have we already established that Morton in the 2012/13 campaign easily surpassed every Queen of the South league finish over the past sixty years - Morton have also won more league titles in my lifetime than Queen of the South have won in the club's all-time history. The last quarter-century of Morton's glorious history being sufficient to surpass pretty much everything that your club has 'achieved' in its entire existence

Back in your box then. 

Counting the third division :lol:. What an absolute diddy you are. 

I believe he is being considered for a bigger job than this. Time will tell.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You'd think Pressley's stock would be rock bottom just now considering the mess he made at both Coventry and Fleetwood. Fortunately for them they worked him out quickly and gave him the boot , something we should've done after his woeful short term appointment in the top flight. 

On 08/11/2016 at 12:22, KingfaetheSooth said:

Interesting that Queens have brought in Graeme Robertson to help JT. I used to play golf with him as a youngster, many moons ago and touted him to head up Youth Development at Queens on here a few years ago. He was well thought of as a Youth coach at Livingston and Stenny and has good coaching credentials and the right badges. Not sure if he is the right person to be manager but will a good short-term option as part of the coaching staff and may well be worth a permanent role if he does well and gels with the club and the squad. 

He's only here for a month helping out voluntary.

Over 2 weeks on and still feel the club has lost a very good, young enthusiastic manager well liked by both fans & players (obviously not the board tho).

The board must appoint the right person and allow them to bring an assistant with them to help day to day running of the first team affairs, allowing Jim Thomson to get back on with the development manager role.

The new man needs the backing of the board first and foremost. The board need to decide as to where they want the club to be in Scottish football and how nice it would be to be in the top tier for the club's centenary year, really canny see this happening tho. 

The lowest we averaged in these years was a stunningly low 599 and we dipped to 586 in the early 90s, so sub 400 sounds conceivable and does tie in with my own memories.  Regular gates of a quarter of our lowest ever averages sound less likely though.

Im convinced they were the odd 150-250 crowds.
Must have been around 1981 onward, I was still at primary. Days of the Bukta strip, Alan Ball, Cloy, Dickson, etc

Over 2 weeks on and still feel the club has lost a very good, young enthusiastic manager well liked by both fans & players (obviously not the board tho).

The board must appoint the right person and allow them to bring an assistant with them to help day to day running of the first team affairs, allowing Jim Thomson to get back on with the development manager role.

The new man needs the backing of the board first and foremost. The board need to decide as to where they want the club to be in Scottish football and how nice it would be to be in the top tier for the club's centenary year, really canny see this happening tho. 

Great post but I fear the usual culprits will be shouting you down very soon [emoji23]

Im convinced they were the odd 150-250 crowds.
Must have been around 1981 onward, I was still at primary. Days of the Bukta strip, Alan Ball, Cloy, Dickson, etc

I do recall attendances of around 300 in the early 80's and to think the missing punters missed watching the likes of Tommy Nolan, Billy McLeod and Gerry Philips rag dolling defences lol

11 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

What makes you say that Gavin Skelton was obviously not liked by the Board? Have you any evidence? The guy left for personal reasons, did he not? Why don't we all just accept and respect what has been said?

What makes you say that Gavin Skelton was obviously not liked by the Board? Have you any evidence? The guy left for personal reasons, did he not? Why don't we all just accept and respect what has been said?

I posted an interview with Thomson in our club thread last week. In that, he used the wording that Skeleton "felt that he could not continue" in the role.

That, to me, implied that any of the "personal reasons" came from within the club, not from his life outwith football.

12 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Over two weeks on ? The news broke 10 days ago. 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I posted an interview with Thomson in our club thread last week. In that, he used the wording that Skeleton "felt that he could not continue" in the role.

That, to me, implied that any of the "personal reasons" came from within the club, not from his life outwith football.

Thats a pretty massive leap

23 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Is it, really? I may have interpreted it incorrectly, but the context and tone of the comment seemed pretty telling to me.

Well, on the face of those 6 words, yes it is a massive leap.

What in the context and tone made you come to that conclusion?

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Just don't see how you draw that conclusion from those words.

Well, on the face of those 6 words, yes it is a massive leap.

What in the context and tone made you come to that conclusion?

I've just gone back and listened, I had recalled the wording incorrectly.

http://aliveradio.net/jim-thomson-interview-10-11-16-audio/

Right at the start of the interview. What Jim actually said was "Gavin could not see himself going on". To me that implies that he could not see himself working in the role, rather than a problem outside of football dictating that he couldn't carry out his duties.

I may be reading it completely incorrectly, none of us know. It's still frustrating.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I've just gone back and listened, I had recalled the wording incorrectly.

http://aliveradio.net/jim-thomson-interview-10-11-16-audio/

Right at the start of the interview. What Jim actually said was "Gavin could not see himself going on". To me that implies that he could not see himself working in the role, rather than a problem outside of football dictating that he couldn't carry out his duties.

I think the fact that you recalled the words incorrectly, yet still jumped to a conclusion on the meaning behind them speaks volumes on how these kinds of rumours start and propagate - and thats not a personal comment just a general observation.

Again, from that wording I'd be interested to know how you make the leap to it implying an issue within the club rather than outside.

2 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I may be reading it completely incorrectly, none of us know. It's still frustrating.

Well, thats only true if you believe there is some grand conspiracy within the club to lie, and keep "the truth" from the fans.

Archived