Gavin Skelton departs Queen of the South

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

Can someone explain what actually happened?

I don't think anyone can at the moment.  There certainly doesn't appear to be anyone who's in the know and is willing to share, which is fair enough.

SD's absence at such times is conspicuous, but entirely understandable.

9 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I have absolutely no idea what happened, but I think it's fairly clear there has been a breakdown in relationships behind the scenes and there is a common denominator from the last time this happened.

Is this breakdown clear though?  

I'm not saying you're wrong; you're very possibly right, but unless you're being dishonest in saying "I have absolutely no idea what happened", then I don't see how you can have reached your conclusion about relationships behind the scenes with such certainty.

What's it based on?  It seems to me that JT is an unpopular figure among lots of Queens fans and that his noisy, sweary performance on Saturday did nothing to boost his reputation with this group.  I'm really not sure what else we've got to go on here though - a rumour that they had words after the Raith game perhaps?

Based on what we do know so far - a cryptic club statement, I think talk of relationships breaking down is just speculation.  As I said, you're maybe spot on here, but I don't see how anyone on the outside can be at all sure at this stage.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Is this breakdown clear though?  

I'm not saying you're wrong; you're very possibly right, but unless you're being dishonest in saying "I have absolutely no idea what happened", then I don't see how you can have reached your conclusion about relationships behind the scenes with such certainty.

What's it based on?  It seems to me that JT is an unpopular figure among lots of Queens fans and that his noisy, sweary performance on Saturday did nothing to boost his reputation with this group.  I'm really not sure what else we've got to go on here though - a rumour that they had words after the Raith game perhaps?

Based on what we do know so far - a cryptic club statement, I think talk of relationships breaking down is just speculation.  As I said, you're maybe spot on here, but I don't see how anyone can be at all sure at this stage.

I genuinely don't know what's happened.  I am not "in the know" and never have been.  Like my previous post stated it is just a theory.

I think it's a pretty convincing one though.

34 minutes ago, overthetop said:

No manager of any ability will touch Queens. Far too much baggage comes with the job. No doubt another cheap option by the board will be the outcome. 8th place the target then. Happy days. emoji3.png

Really? I would have thought the Queens post would have been a reasonably attractive one - attracting plenty of interest.

I suppose the downside of life at Palmerston might be that it's difficult for a smaller full-time club to get into the Premiership, whilst relegation is unacceptable, which leads to clogging up the same few league positions in the Championship year after year after year.

Is Thomson the big baldy guy who used to come into the supporters bar pre match to sell raffle tickets for a bottle of whisky? If so what was his role prior to being assistant? Raffle ticket salesman?

That's him. He used to be the commercial manager. And obviously before that he was a player (and Scottish cup final goalscorer).

His current role is football development manager (or words to that effect), I'm not sure what else it incorporates.

17 minutes ago, Consolidate said:

Really? I would have thought the Queens post would have been a reasonably attractive one - attracting plenty of interest.

I suppose the downside of life at Palmerston might be that it's difficult for a smaller full-time club to get into the Premiership, whilst relegation is unacceptable, which leads to clogging up the same few league positions in the Championship year after year after year.

It will attract plenty of interest, it always does.

McIntyre was the last external appointment, though. Fowler was his assistant and Skelton Fowlers assistant.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

Did Skelton choose Thomson to be his assistant?

I dont think thats ever been said one way or the other

4 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is Thomson the big baldy guy who used to come into the supporters bar pre match to sell raffle tickets for a bottle of whisky? If so what was his role prior to being assistant? Raffle ticket salesman?

I cant remember his exact title but he did hospitality stuff on match days. Outside of that he did all of the community stuff, visiting schools etc

That's him. He used to be the commercial manager. And obviously before that he was a player (and Scottish cup final goalscorer).

His current role is football development manager (or words to that effect), I'm not sure what else it incorporates.

I imagine he also helps the players with their use of English Language![emoji3]

Archived