The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Like it's their fault?!

This is what puzzles me.

I fully admit to having not followed this area of politics very closely so I am probably misunderstanding a huge part of this but it looks to me that until Trump came in, whilst things weren't great with North Korea, there hadn't been an imminent threat.

Trump seems to have come in and started this war of words. I notice him criticising China for not controlling them but why is it entirely up to China? Trump seems to be massively escalating things yet North Korea seem to be getting most of the criticism (from other world leaders/China etc)

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

This is what puzzles me.

I fully admit to having not followed this area of politics very closely so I am probably misunderstanding a huge part of this but it looks to me that until Trump came in, whilst things weren't great with North Korea, there hadn't been an imminent threat.

Trump seems to have come in and started this war of words. I notice him criticising China for not controlling them but why is it entirely up to China? Trump seems to be massively escalating things yet North Korea seem to be getting most of the criticism (from other world leaders/China etc)

He's fucked on so many fronts that this is his only chance of deflection.  Of course on a complete idiot would use the threat of nuclear war to deflect from other issues but, hey, that's what we've got.

Mind you if anyone had said a couple of years ago that the potential for nuclear war involving North Korea would be down to a megalomaniac with a dodgy hair style most folk would have opted for Kim Jong-un.

This is what puzzles me.

NK have just or are just about to acquire fully functioning nuclear weapons, capable of hitting targets such as Guam and maybe even the west of the USA. This is new but has been coming for years - Obama, Bush and even Clinton could/should have done more to stop it. Not really much to do with Trump, although of course having a buffoon in charge when the crisis actually hits is pretty much the nightmare scenario.

China are the only country in the region who are 'allies' of NK and won't let up - an estranged, lunatic NK on their border is preferable to a united, capitalist Korea in their eyes, which they'd fear in the event of the Kim dynasty falling. If they pulled support (economic mainly, NK can't feed or sustain itself) the regime and therefore country would collapse. US policy at least since Bush got distracted in Iraq has been to apply UN sanctions that have achieved little or nothing - now we have a maniac with nuclear weapons (and no, not Trump, who is clearly a buffoon but there is a massive, massive difference between the two).

A basic summary. This isn't Trump's doing. It'd be kicking off regardless of who was President right now, albeit granted I doubt there'd be threats of nuking Guam.

It's not too late to sort this out diplomatically, but the Americans are too stubborn and arrogant to be seen to make concessions to a diddy nation like North Korea. Even when NK state media make a new cartoonish threat about the imminent destruction of America, they usually say it's unless the US backs down their aggressive stance toward them - specifically the troops and military drills in the South.

It was reported the other day that NK said their nuke program was non-negotiable, but they actually said it's non-negotiable until the US stops threatening them. It's understandable the US doesn't want an unfriendly nation with nukes. Now maybe it's just me, but I'd have thought the obvious thing would be to improve relations with that nation rather than nuke it. As seems to be increasingly the case nowadays, China and Russia are the ones talking sense with their calls for both sides to de-escalate, but it seems neither side wants to be the one to blink first.

9 hours ago, Jambomo said:

This is what puzzles me.

This is from a few weeks ago and it might be mumbo jumbo anyways, but Scott Adams has a theory behind Trump's strategy. 

1. He made a big public announcement about how great China is and he was convinced they could handle this situation.

2. China's still great, but I guess they just can't handle something this big.

The end goal is to make China handle the situation in order to save face.

28 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

This is from a few weeks ago and it might be mumbo jumbo anyways, but Scott Adams has a theory behind Trump's strategy. 

1. He made a big public announcement about how great China is and he was convinced they could handle this situation.

I think you might be right on that part.

Is that the guy that wrote Dilbert?

1 hour ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Lol

If he's joking, that's one of the weirdest jokes I've ever heard.  If he's being serious, he doesn't even understand basic business.  There's no good way to interpret that.

50 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Is that the guy that wrote Dilbert?

Yes.  Fox News seems to have appointed him an international relations scholar, for some reason, and he gets free air time to voice utter nonsense on foreign affairs, in lieu of actual experts.

Yes.  Fox News seems to have appointed him an international relations scholar, for some reason, and he gets free air time to voice utter nonsense on foreign affairs, in lieu of actual experts.

Does this mean Henry Kissinger is going to write pithy three panel cartoon strips?

47 minutes ago, mjw said:

He did say he would bring jobs back to the US.
I wonder if anyone has told the returning staff they will be signing on when they get home.

Most of the staff cuts will be Russian locals, so he might have a point.