Paintings

Bold Rover

Does anyone pretend to understand Jackson Pollock or any of his work?

I mean it's literally a guy fucking about with splashes.

Number 17A - $200m

Number_17A.jpg

No. 5 1948 - $140m - Now valued at $300m

No._5,_1948.jpg

Mural on Indian Red Ground - Valued at $250-$300m

Mural_on_Indian_Red_Ground.jpg

Autumn Rhythm value $150m upwards:

Autumn_Rhythm.jpg

I mean, what the f**k is going on in any of those? A literal garbled mess worth upwards of $1 billion and that's just a few of his several, several pieces. No real skill or technique required, anyone who can 'interpret' this in anyway is quite simply blowing smoke up folks arses as much as Mr Pollock was himself by creating these.

4 hours ago, Killie Zenit said:

Have a print of this by Hiroshi Yoshida in my room. Check that water effect out.

p1400-yoshida--hiroshi-sailing-boats---m

Also like Nikolai Kopeikin, a contemporary St Petersburg artist who does a lot of satirical stuff about modern Russia.

8022606.jpg 

slony_11.jpg

in regard to the third picture I hope the Tories paid Kopeikin good money for ripping off his painting...

tories.jpg

31 minutes ago, Theo Snelders said:

My Uncle was an art historian in America and taught history of art in Fresno. He loved Degas

Hi Theo - good to see you back! I'm only an enthusiastic, untrained observer, but I think that Degas shows wonderful depth, perspective. It's as if you're in the room. I wish I could draw.

On 19/12/2016 at 14:24, djchapsticks said:

Does anyone pretend to understand Jackson Pollock or any of his work?

I mean it's literally a guy fucking about with splashes.

Number 17A - $200m

Number_17A.jpg

No. 5 1948 - $140m - Now valued at $300m

No._5,_1948.jpg

Mural on Indian Red Ground - Valued at $250-$300m

Mural_on_Indian_Red_Ground.jpg

Autumn Rhythm value $150m upwards:

Autumn_Rhythm.jpg

I mean, what the f**k is going on in any of those? A literal garbled mess worth upwards of $1 billion and that's just a few of his several, several pieces. No real skill or technique required, anyone who can 'interpret' this in anyway is quite simply blowing smoke up folks arses as much as Mr Pollock was himself by creating these.

If there's anyone likely to know what Jackson Pollock was all about, it has to be the Stone Roses - without him they'd have been fked for record sleeves.

7 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Hi Theo - good to see you back! I'm only an enthusiastic, untrained observer, but I think that Degas shows wonderful depth, perspective. It's as if you're in the room. I wish I could draw.

Thanks for that- I should spend more time on here, get far too fired up on other threads :lol:

Agree re: Degas, stunning artwork. His series of 'ladies at toilet' are also very good. My Uncle did a lot of paintings of the San Francisco Ballet, I swear they were like huge time lapsed photos. If I had any digital copies I would upload them for you to see, but alas I don't. Last time he was over here (many years ago) we all went to the Burrell collection and saw the paintings and sculpture of Degas there.

None of this talent has rubbed off on me unfortunately- I cannot draw/paint either- complete rubbish and I greatly admire those that can.

Edited by Theo Snelders

1 hour ago, Bold Rover said:

That's beautiful. I haven't seen it before. I wondered if it was durer - because Mary looks like him! I looked it up and it's not, of course. Wonderful picture.

Jan Gossaert, The Adoration of the Kings/ Magi (1510-15)