Paintings

Bold Rover

2 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Jan Gossaert, The Adoration of the Kings/ Magi (1510-15)

Yip, found it earlier. Wiki says it was once thought to be a Durer, but was probably a collaboration of Gossaert and someone else? I've downloaded it to show my grand-daughter when she arrives, she having been in her P1nativity last week!

On 22/12/2016 at 23:55, Eednud said:

Another of his. "A City Garden". Anybody know what part of Dundee this is? Think there was a mill or calendar workd so could it be looking towards the Perth Road?

City Garden

I'm pretty sure that's looking up from Magdalen Yard Road up towards Perth Road. I think that's the high mill on Shepherd's Loan on the left.

8 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I'm pretty sure that's looking up from Magdalen Yard Road up towards Perth Road. I think that's the high mill on Shepherd's Loan on the left.

Thanks TTD, I was thinking in the right area then.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

'What was The Lady of Shallot thinking?

image.jpg

two answers:

Either as she's the Lady of Shallots so she's thinking "I could fair go an inginininaa"  or '

"when the mirror crack'd she saw him".

So she's thinking "f**k me, it's David Dodds and the ugly b*****d has cracked my good mirror"

mucha.thumb.jpg.c725b7b9f6995cdc75059affc5356e69.jpg

I rather enjoyed the recent Mucha exhibition at Kelvingrove- "cor, all them willowy birds 'arold" as old man Steptoe might have said. This one is advertising the French railways- the round floral wreaths are meant to remind you of the train's wheels. 

• 1 month later...
On 24/02/2017 at 23:52, tamthebam said:

mucha.thumb.jpg.c725b7b9f6995cdc75059affc5356e69.jpg

I rather enjoyed the recent Mucha exhibition at Kelvingrove- "cor, all them willowy birds 'arold" as old man Steptoe might have said. This one is advertising the French railways- the round floral wreaths are meant to remind you of the train's wheels. 

What's the lobster claw meant to remind me of? 

15 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

I'm just back to our hotel having spent the afternoon at Vienna's Kunsthistorisches Museum. Load by Breugels the elder; this was my favourite.

image.jpg

I remember buying a print of that for my folks when I was a kid, stuck it on some hardboard and in a frame. It all bubbled up but they pretended not to notice.

13 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

If you ever frequent Prague on an Edinburgh City away day in the Uefa Cup in a few years time, be sure to stop by the Mucha Museum.

I was fortunate enough to visit Prague when the IvanLendl:AlfonsMucha exhibition was on

Dynamo_design_LENDL_MUCHA_05.jpg

"On 10th of April 2013 was presented unique exhibition of posters by Alfons Mucha from the private collection of Ivan Lendl in the Municipal House in Prague. He began to collect works of Art Nouveau artist during his tennis career, from the beginning of the 80’s. He managed to amass more than 150 artifacts and art of Mucha and that makes it the most complete collection of the author."

Absolutely brilliant.