Paintings

Bold Rover

I was in the National Gallery in Edinburgh recently. The one at the bottom of The Mound. The paintings in the rooms with the red painted walls were very impressive. Next time I'm in I'll name check the ones I liked.

I think it might have been a Caneletto I liked. Pretty sure it was a scene from Venice. Just had a look in the NMS website but they don't see to have photographed it.

7 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Kind of- the Museum of 11 October in Prilep, Macedonia, where the uprising against fascist occupation began.

Yeah, I thought it would be somewhere like that. It does look kinda Balkan/eastern European.

I quite like some of the art from former communist countries, particularly when it's loaded with political imagery.

Left-Gustav-Klutsis-Workers-Everyone-mus

7 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

GL_GM_2315.jpg

Edward Baird Unidentified Aircraft 1942 (it's on show at the Kelvingrove- the first painting that really capitvated me)

the town behind the figures is Montrose where the artist was born. I've seen a similar picture without the figures in it.  

13 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

GL_GM_2315.jpg

Edward Baird Unidentified Aircraft 1942 (it's on show at the Kelvingrove- the first painting that really capitvated me)

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

AG002162.JPG

Monros 1939, in Aberdeen Art Gallery

I gotta say, Montrose looks far cooler in these paintings than it does in real life.