General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

Also, how many games are going to be out of reach of people if they don't have these top-end GPUs?  Are there any?  Or is it just that you can't play some major titles at the top possible settings?  With the way gaming is nowadays, with all kinds of weird, low-spec indie titles getting made and receiving rave reviews, I'm not sure there's going to be the same need to have the best hardware for most.

On 05/01/2023 at 18:59, BFTD said:

Aye, but most folk are more concerned with being able to afford heat and food these days, never mind extravagances like gaming PC upgrades. No doubt the industry knows their sales are fucked for the foreseeable, so they needed to squeeze more money out of the people who still have some, as people on lower wages aren't customers anymore.

Most people surely consider a £400/500 PS5 to be an extravagant purchase, let alone a £1500 4090 so you can get 300+ FPS on some games.

18 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Most people surely consider a £400/500 PS5 to be an extravagant purchase, let alone a £1500 4090 so you can get 300+ FPS on some games.

While having a 144hz monitor…definitely makes sense. 😂

I’m more than content with my 12gb 3060; cost £500 and runs everything perfectly at 1080/1440p.

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/01/2023 at 17:34, Scott-Replay said:

I’ve developed an addiction to Euro Truck Simulator 2. Always dipped in and out from time to time but I’m racking up the hours (supported by a few map mods).

help pls x

Have you considered the environmental upgrade to Euro Train Simulator 2. Take all those filthy trucks off the road and luxuriate in a nice electric train cabin…

Was it yourself who played Subnautica @DA Baracus? I was looking for your post on it as I thought it was you who was talking about it. Started it yesterday and am about 9 hours in. I'm certainly enjoying it even if I feel I'm making little progress! 

I've had to look on YouTube at times as I had no ide what I was supposed to be doing. 

Just built a half-decent base now and have the wee submarine; MK III as the first two were fecking eaten by two different big b*****d creatures. 

I'm enjoying plodding away for now but does there come a point where they point you in the right direction for actually getting a conclusion? 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Was it yourself who played Subnautica @DA Baracus? I was looking for your post on it as I thought it was you who was talking about it. Started it yesterday and am about 9 hours in. I'm certainly enjoying it even if I feel I'm making little progress! 

I've had to look on YouTube at times as I had no ide what I was supposed to be doing. 

Just built a half-decent base now and have the wee submarine; MK III as the first two were fecking eaten by two different big b*****d creatures. 

I'm enjoying plodding away for now but does there come a point where they point you in the right direction for actually getting a conclusion? 

Yeah it was! It's a great game, absolutely love it. Thinking of having a second play through soon.

You need to keep exploring and you'll get more and more clues that point you in the right direction. There is a conclusion that you eventually build to but it takes time. Start with exploring ad much as you can, including going as deep as you can. You'll eventually find blueprints and materials to make things to help with that.

Give me a shout if you want any pointers!

P.S. The big scary as f**k monsters are called 'leviathans'. There's only a few of them in the game and they all have their own wee 'zones' they patrol, like the one in front of the crashed ship. They usually won't leave their zones. Usually...

Edited by DA Baracus

Here's the link to the thread.

Just saw that I said in that thread to scan everything. That's solid advice still. Rocks, plants, animals, wreckage; everything! 

Edited by DA Baracus

42 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Yeah it was! It's a great game, absolutely love it. Thinking of having a second play through soon.

You need to keep exploring and you'll get more and more clues that point you in the right direction. There is a conclusion that you eventually build to but it takes time. Start with exploring ad much as you can, including going as deep as you can. You'll eventually find blueprints and materials to make things to help with that.

Give me a shout if you want any pointers!

P.S. The big scary as f**k monsters are called 'leviathans'. There's only a few of them in the game and they all have their own wee 'zones' they patrol, like the one in front of the crashed ship. They usually won't leave their zones. Usually...

Excellent cheers! Aye it took me a good while to figure out I had to scan for blueprints! Enjoying it though. 

Before you give it another run through give Stranded Deep a shot. That's pretty similar. There seems to be more to Subnautica though but I reckon you'd still enjoy Stranded Deep even for just a wee while. I sank hours into it during lockdown. 

• 2 months later...

Finally played some of Death Stranding and despite the usual Kojima bizareness i was quite enjoying the game but the menus in the game are genuinely the most infuriating of any game I've ever played. They make the simplest thing seem so convoluted. 

Ended up deleting the game it was annoying me so much. Thank goodness for playstation plus. 

13 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Finally played some of Death Stranding and despite the usual Kojima bizareness i was quite enjoying the game but the menus in the game are genuinely the most infuriating of any game I've ever played. They make the simplest thing seem so convoluted. 

Ended up deleting the game it was annoying me so much. Thank goodness for playstation plus. 

I’m really sorry to hear that. The first 3 or so hours are tedious, I’ll give you that. However once you hit chapter 3, all of the upgrades, story elements, and I cannot overstate this enough, the music, makes all the UI annoyances worth it. One of the best games I’ve ever played. 

14 hours ago, Rodhull said:

Have you ever tried Deathloop? I started it then got too busy, went back to it after a few months and couldn't remember how to start the game; was lost in the menus for about 25 minutes, and I wish I was exaggerating.

1 hour ago, SweeperDee said:

I’m really sorry to hear that. The first 3 or so hours are tedious, I’ll give you that. However once you hit chapter 3, all of the upgrades, story elements, and I cannot overstate this enough, the music, makes all the UI annoyances worth it. One of the best games I’ve ever played. 

Aye I think I was near the end of chapter 2 when I quit. I might go back to it at some point. As well as the menus I was finding the gameplay a bit tedious but thought it was an interesting story and world and it just being so odd endeared it to me for some reason.

Just now, Rodhull said:

Aye I think I was near the end of chapter 2 when I quit. I might go back to it at some point. As well as the menus I was finding the gameplay a bit tedious but thought it was an interesting story and world and it just being so odd endeared it to me for some reason.

If you do go back, I implore to stick to chapter 3, it’ll envelope you. The ending is legitimately incredible. 

58 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Have you ever tried Deathloop? I started it then got too busy, went back to it after a few months and couldn't remember how to start the game; was lost in the menus for about 25 minutes, and I wish I was exaggerating.

Can't say I have, I liked the Dishnored games but for some reason Deathloop didn't appeal to me even on ps plus/game pass.

I'm liking the look of the Horizon Forbidden West DLC but have the same fears of experiencing what you did with Deathloop. At this point I barely remember anything about the combat controls.

4 hours ago, LiviLion said:

I loved Deathloop. I also started it but left it and had to start again but the second time I thought it was relativley easy. Granted I didn't really use the menus or bother with upgrades or things like that and I did have to Google the way to complete the game...

Did you finish the game in the end? 

A question for Xbox owners. Been PS since 360 so am now clueless. Looking at getting an Xbox for the eldest as she keeps going on about this Roblox. I'll probably get fired into Game Pass titles tbh but PS5 will be my go to for my main games. I assume it's just as well me going for an S(?) series rather than the latest console and does a Yearly Live pass give you access to the Game Pass catalogue or are they two separate things? 

I've no interest in online gaming and she only plays Fortnite 'online'. 

14 hours ago, RuMoore said:

I loved Deathloop. I also started it but left it and had to start again but the second time I thought it was relativley easy. Granted I didn't really use the menus or bother with upgrades or things like that and I did have to Google the way to complete the game...

Did you finish the game in the end? 

I didn't, think I just forgot too much about what I had 'learned' and all that and put it back down. I was enjoying to begin with but I'm bitter as f**k so a game where you basically have to die a good few times to complete is asking for an aneurysm :lol:

Was planning on doing the same as you, a wee Google to point me to the ending to get it done without the dying to learn things.