General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

On 13/06/2020 at 18:04, Mackie The Staggie said:

There was a brief mention that "something" Mass Effect-y was being worked on a while back. EA are bound to have finished milking the Mass Effect 3 DLC, the money from which was probably putting them off doing it before now. If they have any more original games planned, this would be a good way to get people excited for it, rather than leaving Andromeda as the prevalent memory.

Will they fix the bugs in this one, though? Getting stuck on the scenery in certain areas? Conrad Verner reacting the same to you in ME2, no matter which action you chose in ME1? The fucking ending to the third game?

9 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

There was a brief mention that "something" Mass Effect-y was being worked on a while back. EA are bound to have finished milking the Mass Effect 3 DLC, the money from which was probably putting them off doing it before now. If they have any more original games planned, this would be a good way to get people excited for it, rather than leaving Andromeda as the prevalent memory.

Will they fix the bugs in this one, though? Getting stuck on the scenery in certain areas? Conrad Verner reacting the same to you in ME2, no matter which action you chose in ME1? The fucking ending to the third game?

Or they could just try making a good game :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Let's forget Andromeda ever happened. A nice idea that was executed extremely poorly. Absolutely no characters worth remembering whilst I could tell you the life story of everyone in the trilogy.

It was remarkably disposable; I can't really remember much about the plot either, although it was fun enough to play. Big underground robot machinery, destructive space tendrils taking over the galaxy...was any of that ever resolved? What was up with the giant robot Dune worm on that one desert planet? Still a bit annoyed we'll never find out what happened with the Quarian ark.

Andromeda seems a bit more understandable when you consider they basically started from scratch after years of fannying about. The original idea seemed decent; sounded more like Elite/No Man's Sky, only with gameplay and Mass Effect. Supposedly they couldn't get it working in EA's big game engine they were making everyone use, so it had to be ditched. You'd like to think lessons have been learned, but...

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It was remarkably disposable; I can't really remember much about the plot either, although it was fun enough to play. Big underground robot machinery, destructive space tendrils taking over the galaxy...was any of that ever resolved? What was up with the giant robot Dune worm on that one desert planet? Still a bit annoyed we'll never find out what happened with the Quarian ark.

Andromeda seems a bit more understandable when you consider they basically started from scratch after years of fannying about. The original idea seemed decent; sounded more like Elite/No Man's Sky, only with gameplay and Mass Effect. Supposedly they couldn't get it working in EA's big game engine they were making everyone use, so it had to be ditched. You'd like to think lessons have been learned, but...

All of that stuff would've been resolved in the rest of the proposed trilogy. Still hope it comes out as I wanted to see where they went with it. Oh, and the Quarian Ark stuff was apparently resolved in a book.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-initialised my PS4 and once done I downloaded my saved data from PS+ cloud to console and it's missing Uncharted 4 (not bothered) and Modern Warfare (bit of a nightmare).  Any suggestions for recovering the missing data somehow?

Currently over 100,000 people watching a countdown to a new Cyberpunk video. This is the biggest hype job in gaming history at this point, hope it's worth the wait.

Because there is absolutely ZERO chance that anything in the gaming world will ever not live up to hype, right?

I have faith in them, because they've continually knocked it out the park with the Witcher, but it's this kind of stuff that leads to people losing their shit at release when it doesn't reach heights they've invented.

17 minutes ago, forameus said:

Because there is absolutely ZERO chance that anything in the gaming world will ever not live up to hype, right?

I have faith in them, because they've continually knocked it out the park with the Witcher, but it's this kind of stuff that leads to people losing their shit at release when it doesn't reach heights they've invented.

Not having a go at CDPR at all. It's just been in development for over 8 years now and is subsequently anticipated to be great.

About a year abo I saw that I could download Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic for my Xbox 360 as it has been made backwards compatible.

I paid for it (think it was £8.99) and download it, but disaster! It didn't work! Was annoyed and left it and forgot it about.

A few months after that I picked up Halo 2 from CEX for a quid. It was the original Xbox disc but was seemingly backwards compatible as well. Went home and fired it on and...didn't work. Turns out that you need an official Xbox 360 hard drive in order to be able to download the software updates for backwards compatible games. Got a decent one online for a tenner and once it arrived was able to play Halo 2 and blasted through it (great game!). At this point I had still forgotten about KOTOR 

I then did a back to back Mass Effect trilogy playthrough, with all of the DLC. Took ages but was fun.

About a month ago I downloaded Mercenaries after seeing it online in the Microsoft store through the Xbox. Loved it way back when I had the original Xbox. Played it and it was as good as I remembered, although it did crash quite often. Still, I saved often and managed to complete it last week and it was great fun. I had Mercenaries 2 sitting around on disc, so thought I'd give it a go. It's fucking terrible. Like so many late 2000s games, it makes the main characters tragic edgelords with cringey dialogue. The gameplay is also fucking gash.

I was flipping through my non Xbox 360 hard drive (my default one and the one I need to watch Netflix and Amazon as that's where my profiles are stored) when I came across KOTOR. I transferred it to a USB and then to the official 360 hard drive. Booted it up for the first time on Sunday and it worked!

I've played just over 30 hours since (it tells you every time you save) and I'm only about half way through. I played this waaaaaayy back when but little bits are familiar whilst enough isn't so that I don't know all the planets and areas and quests etc.

Absolutely brilliant game.

36 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I then did a back to back Mass Effect trilogy playthrough, with all of the DLC. Took ages but was fun.

I've just started that again, for some reason. Apparently this is my sixth time through. I've only ever made it to the end of Mass Effect 3 once though, as the longer it goes on, the more it feels like a tremendous sexual encounter marred by the knowledge that your partner likes to stop and shit in your mouth before you climax. Then announce that she's never loved you and the kids aren't yours.

I wish I could quit you, you cruel bitch.

8 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I've just started that again, for some reason. Apparently this is my sixth time through. I've only ever made it to the end of Mass Effect 3 once though, as the longer it goes on, the more it feels like a tremendous sexual encounter marred by the knowledge that your partner likes to stop and shit in your mouth before you climax. Then announce that she's never loved you and the kids aren't yours.

There's a (free) DLC that makes the endings and the overall story better. 

Still not perfect but certainly a big improvement on picking your favourite colour.

One vagina? So, basically the same as any other game with female characters? Presumable the penis type thing is uncircumcised or not.

Anyway, that reminded me of a creepy-sounding role playing game called F.A.T.A.L., which featured all sorts of character creation options like anal circumference. Cyberpunk clearly has some ways to go.

11 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

I mind reading an article about some 'sexy' RPG where there were graphic sex scenes and they had a wee video blurred out with a guy coding what I think was a blowjob but I just kept thinking to myself this guy's going to be sat at his computer tweaking a wireframe sex scene for weeks and he must have constant "what the f**k am I doing with my life" thoughts intruding into his head all day.

There was a news article recently about game developers needing therapy due to the violence in the games they've been making. I can feel the "snowflake millennials" comments coming, but it wasn't to do with the games themselves, but the research that goes on in the background; apparently some software houses have animators and graphic designers watching hours of real-life footage of shootings, hangings, disembowelments, decapitations, suicides, and all sorts of other unpleasantness in order to make sure they make those elements in the games look as realistic as possible.

A wee glimpse behind the curtain into how the sausage gets made.

1 minute ago, Gerald Elbowdent said:

SWKOTOR is sublime. One of the best games of all time. 

It truly is superb. Absolutely loving it and loving that I've still got about half of it to go even though I've fired in just over 30 hours so far.

After I finish it, KOTOR2 is getting downloaded.

The 2nd has much better writing and generally makes the gameplay more balanced (although it’s heavy dated in 2020) but suffers from a lot of Obsidian guest features in that it’s clearly unfinished especially without the Restored Content mod.

Have you played it with the updated DLC and years distance? I didn’t mind it. They obviously sacrifice the pacing and the hook around your choices in favour of a big bombastic narrative but I think it’s mostly good. Viewing the whole game (particularly once you’re about a third in and start doing the major missions on places like Rannoch) as a conclusion to the series makes it a bit better as well. Also it plays really easily and a full run through gives you loads of nice surprises for returning characters. There’s so much in it as well. I think I’ve completed it maybe 4 times or something and I can’t even recall a single thing Grunt does in the third one or where he shows up. Replaying Mass Effect 2 atm to find that out.