St Johnstone v Motherwell

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
f**k knows how we didn't win that.

We didn't take our chances. MacLean, Muzz and Alston all missed absolute sitters.

It's not bad luck or anything, it's a recurring theme with this team.

Pissed myself laughing at BBC sports view of the game, absolute joke journalism.

The suggestion that 'Well "just about deserved the lead" when they got the goal on what was their first real foray up the park, minutes after Davidson missed a sitter and Kane put one just wide is pretty special.

Thought there were some good performances today - special mentions for Kane, Wotherspoon and Foster in particular for me. When Cummings came on I'd have been inclined to take off Maclean instead of Kane.

We give ourselves an uphill battle by chucking that first goal in. That gave Motherwell something to work with and less impetus to need to attack us. We kept them pretty quiet throughout and I don't think Clark had a real save to make after his error early on. Samson, on the other hand, made excellent stops late in each half. That was the difference.

The suggestion that 'Well "just about deserved the lead" when they got the goal on what was their first real foray up the park, minutes after Davidson missed a sitter and Kane put one just wide is pretty special.

Thought there were some good performances today - special mentions for Kane, Wotherspoon and Foster in particular for me. When Cummings came on I'd have been inclined to take off Maclean instead of Kane.

We give ourselves an uphill battle by chucking that first goal in. That gave Motherwell something to work with and less impetus to need to attack us. We kept them pretty quiet throughout and I don't think Clark had a real save to make after his error early on. Samson, on the other hand, made excellent stops late in each half. That was the difference.

It should have Started with Tam Cowan reporting from Mc Diarmid Park.

I thought overall we battered Motherwell today.

We started reasonably well but after their goal for the next 45 mins or so we were the better team though our play was a bit disjointed; the midfield was offering no support for the strikers at all, and Millar - whilst he played well, was holding onto the ball far too long.

We got a break with the equaliser but thereafter played really well. Spoony, after playing poorly upto that point pushed higher up the park and showed some real class on the ball, Muzz pushed on leaving Midge sitting and Alston added a lot of drive and energy.  Brian Easton was excellent.

Disappointed not to get the win, but the last half hour performance was pretty positive. Murray and Millar back together in central midfield is a beautiful thing.

Think it's a wee bit strange with Alston that he was a regular in the team at the start of the season when he wasn't really playing that well, but since finding his form at ibrox he's been out the team as often as in it.

Finally, 2 mil in the bank is great, but we're still crying out for a pacy striker who can offer something a bit different. Wouldn't £1.6m in the bank but top 3 sound even better Mr Brown?!

I can only repeat what others have said. We started off brightly, before being hit by a sucker punch. We had been passing the ball around unusually well (in comparison to many of our recent home performances) and there was a decent pace to our general play. Having said that, we were obviously lacking the additional incisiveness which Danny Swanson tends to provide.

Zander Clark has to take the blame for Motherwell's goal. It was an uncharacteristic error. However, I daresay that many Saints fans would absolutely slaughter Alan Mannus if he made a similar mistake.

Following Motherwell's goal, our confidence seemed to take a knock. The game disintegrated into a scrappier affair. Chris Kane eventually reaped the rewards for his hard-working performance and we were revitalised from that point onwards. We could have won the match. I'm not really a fan of two particular footballing cliches: 'better team' and 'deserved to win'. The 'better team' is the team which scores most goals. The 'most deserving team' is the team which scores most goals. We weren't the better team today, but we were certainly the dominant side.

Like others, I feel that Blair Alston's recent form merits a starting place. I reckon that he offers more than Michael Coulson.

It's a shame that we didn't take full advantage of Aberdeen and Hearts dropping points. At the same time, it's good that we're now a point closer to Aberdeen and it's good that we haven't fallen further behind Hearts. A frustrating afternoon, but there's also plenty to be positive about.

Ironically that is probably the worst we have played in the few years since we last won and yet got a draw.

We had isolated moments of good play, but in the main we were rank rotten. We let St Johnstone cross the ball in our box with impunity if that is the correct term. Go on fire in another cross and another. How St Johnstone failed to take an advantage was a mystery to me. 

We are playing kids and some players seem unfit or injured or both. Our midfield is powder puff. The amount of times Lasley and Clay misplaced a pass was embarrassing. 

Happy with a draw, but more performances like that will see us relegated !!!

Only going by the highlights but shitfest aspects aside that looked like another game where Tait seemed to be involved in a lot of the more positive things for us.

His 'goal' aside, his involvement in the penalty shout is worth noting in so much as he's our right back pressing and winning the ball midway in Saints half. I've said it before but its refreshing to see us actually have someone who plays like a full back there, getting up and down the park.

14 minutes ago, The Woolshed said:

How did Millar and Scobbie both play yesterday? Assuming neither Maclean or Millar will be risked next Friday at Killie and hopefully we'll have Swanson back.

Both did fine. My guess is the plan was always 70 minutes for Millar. Scobbie and Shaughnessy were never put under much pressure.

Actually pretty happy with the performance yesterday, despite only picking up a point. You can't legislate for the opener and Motherwell really dug themselves in after. We struggled for inspiration a bit when chasing the game in the first half but managed some pretty intense spells of pressure after the break. Thought the standard of crossing was possibly as good as I can remember and the only fault in the performances of MacLean and Kane was that they didn't get on the end of anything.

It's taken a while but Wotherspoon seems to have found some form again and has developed into a player comfortable on the left, a position it looked like he didn't enjoy playing in when asked early on in his Saints career.

For Motherwell, the much-maligned Samson did the business for them today with the late save from Alston and was very unlucky with our goal, without seeing it back. You notice a difference in Cadden with what must be 30 or 40 first team appearances behind him, so it'll be interesting to note the progress of Ferguson, McMillan etc... Will this group develop into the new Pearson, Lawley, McFadden?

Looking at Saints goal again it was interesting to see that once again we'd conceded after making a sub (Lucas on for Ferguson 59, Kane scores 63). I'm guessing we went from a back 3 to a flat back 4 given it was a midfielder on for a centre half (and you can see in the clip we're obviously a back 4).

Heneghan tracks MacLean's run while McManus goes to contest the header. However in tracking MacLean Heneghan is pulled completely out of position, leaving the huge gap which is the area that Kane scores from. In dropping almost 10 yards behind the rest of his back 4 keeps MacLean onside. That's not a dig at Heneghan as such, he's man-marking and follows the runner fair enough but I can't help but think he's defending as if there's still a 3rd centre half covering.

That was our first goal and point on the road since McDonald's header earned us a point at Firhill back in September. Sounds like we were fairly poor yesterday and it didn't sound pretty but quite frankly any point away from home is welcome at the minute given our appalling away record this season. 

Our home form is decent, especially against those around us, so if we can keep that up and start shitfesting our way to a few more points on the road that should hopefully see us safe this season.

Archived