Old Firm Colts in L2

I don't recall saying that the loan system isn't better for development?

So you think Celtic and Rangers will continue to loan young players out when they have a development team playing within the league setup?

Sam Wardrop who is on loan with us just now is/was the Celtic development squad captain. He wouldn't be playing Championship football this season if Celtic Colts were competing in League 2.

There is zero evidence to suggest the colts joining League 2 will (or likely) aid the development of young players. Quite literally nothing.

3 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Well that's just your view really - the proposal I think actually meets your young players get better by gaining experience by playing with and against experienced pros criteria - they can have a couple of experienced players in their side. Youth v experience after years of just youth v youth will have some value. ,

It's not just mine it's widely held. I'd suggest the youth/experience ratio would need to be changed for the degree of development  to be achieved.

6 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

So if the colts idea is deferred for another year I think what the clubs should be doing now is to come up with better proposals to suit Scottish football and not just two clubs. Saying no will not be enough but saying well what about plan a or plan b might be in the sense of actually making Scottish football better, and not devaluing clubs or leagues or players. 

A nothing post I know but but should this be stopped for the time being it's just round 1. 

What exactly are these two clubs going to do if the answer they're given, by the league's governing body, is "we'll discuss whatever you fancy, but admitting 'B' teams into the league structure has been established as a red-line issue"?

A few folk seem to think it's going to be forced through anyway. How?

So you think Celtic and Rangers will continue to loan young players out when they have a development team playing within the league setup?

Sam Wardrop who is on loan with us just now is/was the Celtic development squad captain. He wouldn't be playing Championship football this season if Celtic Colts were competing in League 2.

There is zero evidence to suggest the colts joining League 2 will (or likely) aid the development of young players. Quite literally nothing.

Rodgers not say that in his article. Instead of loaning players out it would be better for them to play under the ‘Celtic banner’.

You are spot on. CC miles off as usual.

1 minute ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

Well  what the fcuk are you saying? 

We've been trying to establish that for about 93 pages now.

If it's anything less than "I'm eventually going to be happy to take the Old Firm shilling", or just pointless contrarianism, he's been an absolute failure at getting it across.

4 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Not a million miles from what I said

I got to admit and i not having a go i am not really sure where you stand on the issue of colts in the senior set up. 

I am not in favour of the current proposals. I am in favour of dialogue in how to make Scottish football better, get more from and for Scottish players, make Scottish football more enjoyable for us the fans and make Scottish football more successul with the national side and in Europe. The current proposal does not tick any of those points for me. 

8 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Rodgers not say that in his article. Instead of loaning players out it would be better for them to play under the ‘Celtic banner’.

You are spot on. CC miles off as usual.

How exactly am I miles off when I patently agreed it would be better to loan players out - sounds like I am spot on.   You don't seem to actually read anything properly without letting your preconceptions do the typing. 

How exactly am I miles off when I patently agreed it would be better to loan players out - sounds like I am spot on.   You don't seem to actually read anything properly without letting your preconceptions do the typing. 

You’re spot on? [emoji23]

Everyone thinks you’re speaking a load of shite incase you haven’t noticed.

You are by the way.

11 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

What exactly are these two clubs going to do if the answer they're given, by the league's governing body, is "we'll discuss whatever you fancy, but admitting 'B' teams into the league structure has been established as a red-line issue"?

A few folk seem to think it's going to be forced through anyway. How?

I think the bribe will be increased to secure more votes for example. So 15k doesn't seem enough increase it or add on other incentives. f**k knows but I do believe this is just the opening salvo. Rangers and Celtic need to secure their position in Scottish football before they jump to greener pastures. The risk is too great otherwise for them. 

5 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I got to admit and i not having a go i am not really sure where you stand on the issue of colts in the senior set up. 

I am not in favour of the current proposals. I am in favour of dialogue in how to make Scottish football better, get more from and for Scottish players, make Scottish football more enjoyable for us the fans and make Scottish football more successul with the national side and in Europe. The current proposal does not tick any of those points for me. 

I am not the least bit interested in Colts in the senior set up including the Lowland League - happy if they wish to compete in East of Scotland League along with other Colts sides.  I don't like the current proposal and don't see how I could ever be persuaded that Colts in the senior set up is good for lower league SPFL clubs, or the SPFL.  It might possibly be good for the clubs who field colts sides and possibly the SFA - but it would be an experiment that might not work.  The same sort of experiment promoted by the SFA when clubs who built up and invested in their own or regional youth academies at the SFA's prompting as to the way forward found that that was being junked and 'big' only was beautiful under Project Brave.  Once bitten twice shy in my view.  Can you come up with a system to give Colts meaningful regular  matches v League sides outwith the League system might be something to consider - it may not or may be possible.  In addition, it should be noted that the current play-off rules as best I recall mean that the bottom of L2 play off rules are that bottom team plays off against the winner of play offs already held between teams from approved Leagues which have a membership of clubs drawn from outside those of the 42 SPFL clubs -  thus if Lowland League accepted Colts teams from SPFL clubs that SPFL rule would need changed or the Lowland League to give up its play off right. 

9 minutes ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

I think the bribe will be increased to secure more votes for example. So 15k doesn't seem enough increase it or add on other incentives. f**k knows but I do believe this is just the opening salvo. Rangers and Celtic need to secure their position in Scottish football before they jump to greener pastures. The risk is too great otherwise for them. 

Again a view understanding this will be a dynamic situation

Just now, Doonhamer doon south said:

They'll have to provide enough cash to make up for the drop in attendances, and the other clubs would have to be stupid enough to believe that this cash will remain forever enshrined and protected. One of the sponsors of this can't even afford to pay their own wages without loans. It'll take a sudden outbreak of mental illness across our nation's boardrooms to think that they can afford to run their clubs without a customer base. It's possible, I suppose, but would require a remarkable amount of spine-growing.

Rangers and Celtic are going nowhere, more's the pity. UEFA have been very clear about clubs jumping ship for richer leagues, as it would cause chaos among their membership, with bigger clubs desperate to get into the English/Spanish/German leagues all over the place. They're not going to make an exception for Scotland - the only way I could imagine this could possibly happen would be if the rest of the SPFL voted to kick them out of our structure, as they could claim to have nowhere else to play. The idea of that, while hilarious, is beyond fantasy. And that's before you get onto the fact that nobody else wants them, which is why they keep trying to invent Northern European fantasy leagues, which clubs like Ajax and Anderlecht seem to realise would be massive failures in the long-term.

I've no doubt this is the "opening salvo", but each proposal will be met with the same response if 'B' teams are on the agenda. Outside of the realms of make-believe, I'm struggling to see why they'd think it's going to happen, other than "we get what we want".