Old Firm Colts in L2

. We have a youth system that has produced, in recent times, Martin Boyle (Hibs) and Aaron Taylor-Sinclair (Partick Th, but never really made it down south).

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair is at Plymouth now but was out for a while at Doncaster with an injury. He's interesting because in some ways it highlights some of the shortfalls of our youth development. Being 6ft plus and naturally athletic I think teams looked at him thinking they could make a good footballer out of him as the physical build was there. Obviously not a bad player as he's making a career of it but here in Scotland we put so much emphasis on physical attributes and start you off in a position if you fit the mould. 6ft plus? Centre half mate. Pish.
Really think the best players produced here and abroad don't fit any formula of the perfect player that clubs have. I think there is an argument for the 'coaching the x-factor out of players'. Another discussion i guess.
Anyway how this is supposed to improve youngsters is beyond me. Ill thought out and conveniently keeping an OF presence in Scotland before the snore fest that is Champions League goes full blown Euro League.

Following queries from supporters on the subject of colt teams inclusion in SPFL League 2, the club can confirm that the idea, originating from two Premiership clubs, has now been discarded.

At no time did the SPFL formally engage with clubs on this idea. Had the club received a formal proposal, a consultation with supporters would have been carried out before any official response was returned.

Nevertheless, the club noted the concerns received from individuals and supporter groups following recent press reports around the idea.

The club remains open to considering any proposal for positive change in Scottish football, that is in the best interests of all clubs and the wider game, and formally put on the table by a governing body.

This position has also been communicated to the SPFL and all other League 2 chairman.

Statement from Clyde.

1 hour ago, Fred said:

I'll give you an example. Kerr McInroy, Jack Aitchison, Euan Henderson, Robbie Deas. All current U20s at Celtic. If they were at Hearts, Motherwell etc they'd likely be playing in the first team. They'd want these boys playing and developing to get a couple of years out of them and then sell them. However, they are currently not good enough for the celtic first team. So, if Scottish football is to benefit, where's the best place for these kids development. Celtic U20s or Hearts/Motherwell/Hibs first teams..?

Rangers, Zak Rudden etc would probably be first team at a lesser light in the SPFL by now. Not hoping to be part of a colts team in league 2.

For me football is about levels and players want to play at the highest level possible within THEIR own ability,the demand to get into celtic's first team is the highest in Scotland.
 I agree there is players in Celtic U20's  that could play in other teams first 11,i'm sure there will be U20 players at Aberdeen,hearts and hibs etc that can play in other clubs first teams.
The loan system is in place for players that are on the verge of first teams.

2 hours ago, David W said:

Statement from Clyde.

Presumably the Clyde statement is genuinely from the club so well done to them for making their position clear. The fact that clubs were never officially approached about the whole sorry affair sums up the arrogance of the clubs pushing it. As mentioned the situation needs to be kept an eye on as the idea was never going to achieve what they said it was supposed to so there must another reason behind it. 

it took Celtic years to get into this position and loving every minute of it.

Oh dear, if ever there was a post to move me to point out the arrogance of the OF supporter this was it...well done, I've been hooked.

Disaster if Celtic or Rangers go a season without winning at least one trophy. Try following a community based club that engages with the local supporters to raise awareness of mental health issues, physical health issues, needs a hard core support who will continue to organise fund raising events to keep their clubs alive in the forlorn hope that a lower league promotion or extended cup run might help them continue with their youth team development or be able to serve their local community in any way they can.

But no, f**k it, as long as you can totally wipe out your biggest rivals to chase 10 in a row, Scottish football can go f**k itself unless we need them to give our youngsters a chance to play against the joiners and sparkys of L2.

f**k the lot of you, I'm done.

Definitely a bit of barely-concealed irritation in that Clyde statement, as there should be.

We still haven't said anything, as far as I'm aware; I presume the reason would be that we haven't been approached, so there's nothing to say. Weak sauce excuse for anyone who uses it.

15 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You are going off on a tangent here!Celtic's challenge is in Europe,as far as the league goes Celtic set the bar it's up to the other teams to come up to celtic's level not the other way round.
Hearts came up finished 3rd,rangers 2012 came up finished 3rd,Hibs came up this season could finish 3rd, what about the other 9 happy just to be in the league,killie and motherwell are having a decent season,it took Celtic years to get into this position and loving every minute of it.

Where are you from willy?

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Prepare yourself for a speech about how he supported Celtic through the "brutal years" of finishing in the top three of the top flight, once dropping to 5th! And how that means he understands what its like to support teams in the bottom tier. 

52 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I think Moonster's anticipating/hoping for a "Planet Zanussi" response, at which point the fog of incoherence will lift and everything will suddenly begin to make sense.

17 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You are going off on a tangent here!Celtic's challenge is in Europe,as far as the league goes Celtic set the bar it's up to the other teams to come up to celtic's level not the other way round.
it took Celtic years to get into this position and loving every minute of it.

See, Willy's kinda right and wrong

Celtic are the best team in Scotland, so of course they're setting the standard to beat.  But as for setting the bar and taking years for them to get into this position, the current team is the standard it was in the early 80's.  It's not they've progressed, others have fallen back.  Their realistic challenge in Europe is trying to compete at Europa level, they're miles off CPL.  Anyone with eyes can see they're average.

So the guy's right in a way, all of our clubs have been pulling our chains for the past 25 years, we all know the standard's gone down.  We keep giving them excuses to fail, it's the SFA, it's TV money, it's facilities, it's this, it's that....bullshit.  How much of this did Aberdeen have when they were beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid, or when Dundee Utd were in the final of the UEFA Cup ?   Think it's any coincidence the national team's not qualified for anything since 98 ?

This is where it ties into the thread, the Colts idea is farcical, won't deliver anything and dead in the water now.  In the early 80's there was reserve team football.  All the clubs know that's the solution to bringing on young players, and all of them should be held to account until they bring it back.   In those days we also had managers and coaches who knew what the hell they were doing and didnt constantly look for excuses to be second or third best.    

Reckon if Ferguson was sitting down with his Dons side today....and how much did that cost to assemble?.....he'd be saying "We'll be doing well to get a point today lads, they've got Armstrong and Forrest".  You being serious?!

Yeah, or Jim McLean leading his team down to Rugby Park hoping for a clean sheet and a point. That said, it was a very different world then and the blend of tactical genius and downright bullying / intimidation of players that both Fergie and McLean (and Brian Clough down south) had, just doesn't work with the modern player. The last echo of Jim McLean in club football was Paul Hegarty and John Holt at Montrose and whilst it worked for a short while, and kept us up in the most important game in our history, it really didn't in the long term.

The issue we haven't tackled is the abject failure in coaching education, both in terms of the volume of decent coaches produced and the standards to which they aspire.

Dismantling or re-gearing the Largs mafia is a major piece in the puzzle of getting the national team back to some level of occasionally-qualifying respectability. A lot of vested interests to be faed down there, however, and there's obviously no political will to do that at present.

12 hours ago, dee_62 said:

Oh dear, if ever there was a post to move me to point out the arrogance of the OF supporter this was it...well done, I've been hooked.

Disaster if Celtic or Rangers go a season without winning at least one trophy. Try following a community based club that engages with the local supporters to raise awareness of mental health issues, physical health issues, needs a hard core support who will continue to organise fund raising events to keep their clubs alive in the forlorn hope that a lower league promotion or extended cup run might help them continue with their youth team development or be able to serve their local community in any way they can.

But no, f**k it, as long as you can totally wipe out your biggest rivals to chase 10 in a row, Scottish football can go f**k itself unless we need them to give our youngsters a chance to play against the joiners and sparkys of L2.

f**k the lot of you, I'm done.

It is not arrogance it is confidence,Celtic have only lost 2 games in 80,every fan wants their team to do well, i make no apology for enjoy celtic's domestic dominance.
I go to games wanting my team to win not expecting my team to win there is a difference,you can't take anything for granted.
Every club has their place in the Scottish game and every club has it's own story.
Celtic came from humble beginnings and that has never been lost to Celtic giving 10's of thousands to charity every year.
I grew up in the east end of Glasgow so Celtic is my local team so don't pretend you know me by generalising the Celtic support where they're many different walks of life.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I grew up in the east end of Glasgow so Celtic is my local team so don't pretend you know me by generalising the Celtic support where they're many different walks of life.

That's nice, good for you. Unfortunately we can't say the same for every Celtic supporter.  Unfortunately many Celtic supporters probably haven't set foot inside Parkhead. Unfortunately these people aren't supporting their local team.  Unfortunately that means smaller clubs remain small whilst Celtic coin in money on merchandise/TV subscriptions.  Unfortunately that leads to Celtic being so dominant because they have all the resources and prize money.  Unfortunately that leads to pompous c***s like yourself telling the rest of Scottish football that they need to get better to challenge Celtic.  Unfortunately you're too fucking thick to understand why there is such a gap in quality and why closing that gap becomes increasingly more difficult.

So, kindly take your utter bullshit about the rest of Scottish football not being good enough and f**k yourself with it.