Old Firm Colts in L2

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Next time someone gives it, "why are you meanies all so biased against poor Rangers and Celtic?", it ought to be enough to point out that they used a global pandemic to try and strongarm struggling wee clubs into accepting a few bawbees for turning their leagues into a glorified training exercise for their reserves.

Two vile clubs

16 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Spot on. Which is why from this day forward we shouldn't even be entertaining this notion with discussion, even that is too much a foot in the door for me. Shut down the debate by telling whoever mentions it to f**k off there and then. Job done. 

Definitely. Whenever any kind of reconstruction debate arises different clubs have different priorities and there have to be trade offs made to find something satisfactory to everyone, but equally there have to be red lines on issues that clubs will never agree to.

Colt teams are the red line - they will never be acceptable in any situation. They could be giving £1M to every lower league club every season and it still wouldn't be worthwhile. No amount of money can ever stop it being an appalling idea which will kill lower league Scottish football.

29 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Definitely. Whenever any kind of reconstruction debate arises different clubs have different priorities and there have to be trade offs made to find something satisfactory to everyone, but equally there have to be red lines on issues that clubs will never agree to.

Colt teams are the red line - they will never be acceptable in any situation. They could be giving £1M to every lower league club every season and it still wouldn't be worthwhile. No amount of money can ever stop it being an appalling idea which will kill lower league Scottish football.

The mildly amusing side effect of these bribes is to see exactly how weak these giants of world football are. This is something they really, really want, for all the reasons described on this thread countless times. Yet after all this time, the best they can manage is £3 million quid between them, and even then it has to be paid over five years. As you say, a million each per year wouldn't negate making the competition pointless, but it's funny to see just how little they have to offer.

Another amusing/depressing thought; if it wasn't stipulated that the money was to be split evenly between the 20 clubs in Leagues One and Two - and why would Celtgers give a shit what happened to it - it's absolutely odds-on that a club like Falkirk would argue that they're the big dogs in the lower leagues, and deserve more of the cash.

On 28/02/2021 at 11:25, edinabear said:

Looking positive that this is happening now. Wil bring some much needed finance and more fans to the league. 

It’s a certainty to help Scotland qualify for more major tournaments. That  then has a knock on effect of feel good factor meaning crowds will double throughout the country. This will lead to sky deals equal to England’s which allows teams to attract better players and win the champions league. This will make Scotland the place to be and the calibre of foreign females visiting to get their hole will be incredible.

Get the colts in ASAP!

Guest The Phoenix
46 minutes ago, big al said:

It’s a certainty to help Scotland qualify for more major tournaments. That  then has a knock on effect of feel good factor meaning crowds will double throughout the country. This will lead to sky deals equal to England’s which allows teams to attract better players and win the champions league. This will make Scotland the place to be and the calibre of foreign females visiting to get their hole will be incredible.

Get the colts in ASAP!

After 183 pages we finally get a well thought out constructive post. 

1 hour ago, big al said:

Get the colts in ASAP!

200.gif.5983d4dfa66434940a90cd38a4981aca.gif

On 01/03/2021 at 11:47, theboke said:

Intuitively against the colt firm but gave it some thought this morning. Possible benefits depending upon how it's done 

1. League expansion to 44 teams could push everyone up a couple of notches in a 14, 10, 10, 10 setup. I'd demand this as a tradeoff for their inclusion.

B. Colt teams would likely be relegated immediately from L2 because they'd be pants inconsistent so they would stop current L2 sides being relegated and would therefore expedite promotion of real teams in their place. So demand that they could be relegated to the LL and beyond as a tradeoff for their inclusion.

Yeah. Wring as much out of them as possible and watch their colts sink down the leagues. Hard-headed.

Like Jacksgranda seemed to be saying - please forgive me, sir, if I misunderstood - there is a long history of reserve teams in the Scottish leagues, so why is this any different? I don't know if Stranraer and Stirling Uni still have reserve teams in the pyramid, but should we be turfing them out too, if we're being consistent?

3 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Yeah. Wring as much out of them as possible and watch their colts sink down the leagues. Hard-headed.

Like Jacksgranda seemed to be saying - please forgive me, sir, if I misunderstood - there is a long history of reserve teams in the Scottish leagues, so why is this any different? I don't know if Stranraer and Stirling Uni still have reserve teams in the pyramid, but should we be turfing them out too, if we're being consistent?

I would, yes.

Folk who can't distinguish the difference between Stranraer reserves being admitted to the EoS league and Rangers and Celtic putting second teams in the league system are either deliberately being stupid or are morons. Either way, "ignore" seems the best option. 

There's a natural distinction between recreational football where it's more about football for the sake of the players and the professional, semi-pro and high-end amateur where it's about the club. I don't have a problem with reserve teams playing in recreational football, but they shouldn't be playing in the pyramid, it just seems disrespectful and unfair to the first teams in the same league.

But if there was an offer of say a million into the pot from each of the old firm, per season in perpetuity, to accept their reserves in the league, as a chairman you might be tempted.

Particularly if it was part of a beneficial general restructure, with the likelihood of their colts being the first thing cut whenever a lean year, financially, came along? Or no?

11 minutes ago, Oldster said:

But if there was an offer of say a million into the pot from each of the old firm, per season in perpetuity, to accept their reserves in the league, as a chairman you might be tempted.

Particularly if it was part of a beneficial general restructure, with the likelihood of their colts being the first thing cut whenever a lean year, financially, came along? Or no?

Naw!

22 minutes ago, Oldster said:

There is no restructure that included colt sides that could be described as "beneficial". You are removing the competitiveness from the competition, no money is worth that. The notion that the Old Firm would also happily just drop their colt teams from the league after a "lean year" is at the very least, fanciful. Bin it. Forever. Naecunt wants it.

54 minutes ago, Oldster said:

Would you be tempted by the offer of a million from a company which has never made a profit, has no spare cash, and can't find a bank willing to give it credit?

Ofcourse.

If I was a supporter of a League 2 club, I wonder if I could just ignore the colt teams in the league, dodge the games against them, but continue to support my team as usual. Might manage that if the money on offer helped my club long-term.

5 hours ago, big al said:

Get the colts in ASAP!

Exactly, it's positives all round. All premiership sides should have the chance to enter colt teams into the Pyramid

4 hours ago, Oldster said:

I wasn't advocating the inclusion of Colt/Reserve/youth teams, I merely mentioned that C Division which ran for about 10 years post WW2 included reserve sides.

I don't think C Division was a great hit, and if the Scottish League had picked up where they had left off - like the Football League - there wouldn't have been a C Division at all, as all the non reserve sides had been members of the league pre war, but were dumped out when the leagues were reorganised, albeit St Bernards had disappeared and Kings Park were replaced by Stirling Albion.

It worked allright for the first three season with teams going up and down between B & C divisions but after it was organised into 2 divisions the tiddlers were squeezed out by the big teams' reserve sides and if memory serves me right only 1 side (maybe 2) got promoted before the whole thing was wound up.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Folk who can't distinguish the difference between Stranraer reserves being admitted to the EoS league and Rangers and Celtic putting second teams in the league system are either deliberately being stupid or are morons. Either way, "ignore" seems the best option. 

I get there's a big difference and a dearth of leagues for Stranraer reserves to play in but it's a loophole that could be exploited.

There's a few others that need to go as well.

27 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I wasn't advocating the inclusion of Colt/Reserve/youth teams, I merely mentioned that C Division which ran for about 10 years post WW2 included reserve sides.

I don't think C Division was a great hit, and if the Scottish League had picked up where they had left off - like the Football League - there wouldn't have been a C Division at all, as all the non reserve sides had been members of the league pre war, but were dumped out when the leagues were reorganised, albeit St Bernards had disappeared and Kings Park were replaced by Stirling Albion.

It worked allright for the first three season with teams going up and down between B & C divisions but after it was organised into 2 divisions the tiddlers were squeezed out by the big teams' reserve sides and if memory serves me right only 1 side (maybe 2) got promoted before the whole thing was wound up.

Good knowledge. Enjoyed reading that!

The top division clubs had the chance to blood young players in the first team some years ago and took the piss out of the requirement to do so by throwing them on with a minute to go. The rule was quickly scrapped.

I'll add that any arrangement to put cash in would be subject to change at some point in the future and voted out by pliant Quislings.

Trust no one.