P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

12 hours ago, Deanburn Dave said:

Are you sure they are shags and not cormorants ?

8 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Not sure of difference.

Look like cormorants to me.  Shags have a steeper forehead feature than the ones in that photo, which show a more gentle profile.

We've had a big pair of Wood Pigeons visiting our back garden for a while now. Last summer they walked into the kitchen looking for food. 

I had no idea and when they saw me one of them flew into a window and fell into the sink.

Literally shat itself and I had to wash all the dishes again.

Edited by Tony Ferrino

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The Latin classification for the Tibetan Blackbird is Turdus Maximus who sounds like an acquaintance of Biggus Dickus. 

Likewise the American Robin (not a robin - more like a blackbird, but that's the septics for you) Turdus Migratorius, which could be a synonym for one of those times where you think you're bursting for a shite but it turns out just to be a really big fart.

Also Tickell's Thrush (Turdus Unicolor) which is what you get after a couple of nights on the Guinness.

On 25/09/2022 at 23:25, tamthebam said:

Can't be the old man- the robin is too energetic!

I had a robin hovering 10cm in front of my face before stealing a bit of toastie from my hand as I went to eat it*.  Little shit**.

*toastie, not the robin.

**robin, not the toastie 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Carnage/drama in the garden today, been watching some kind of thrush for the past few weeks, eating the white berries off next doors rowan tree, it's slightly bigger than a blackbird/brown /speckled breast, quite aggresive. Quite rare?

Mrs heard a thud against kitchen window this morning, must've hit it, trying to escape the sparrowhawk, which was plucking it below the window. Next doors cat then showed up, and sparrowhawk flew away with it's pray.

Get that the hawk has to eat, but think that was maybe a rare bird, (anybody know) only really seen that one.

Thank you.

9 minutes ago, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Carnage/drama in the garden today, been watching some kind of thrush for the past few weeks, eating the white berries off next doors rowan tree, it's slightly bigger than a blackbird/brown /speckled breast, quite aggresive. Quite rare?

Mrs heard a thud against kitchen window this morning, must've hit it, trying to escape the sparrowhawk, which was plucking it below the window. Next doors cat then showed up, and sparrowhawk flew away with it's pray.

Get that the hawk has to eat, but think that was maybe a rare bird, (anybody know) only really seen that one.

Thank you.

Even rarer now.