P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

3 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

We have lots of them in the area. I don't mind them as they tend to, as you say, stay in pairs. I hate the feral pigeons with a passion though. They come in a flock of, at times, 20 or more and devour every bit of food that is lying about. I hate them. 

Aye we like having them around. They're interesting to watch searching through the twigs on the ground for the nest, and the cat will sit staring at them for hours licking her lips. She wouldn't have a clue what to do with it if she caught one, mind.

9 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Aye we like having them around. They're interesting to watch searching through the twigs on the ground for the nest, and the cat will sit staring at them for hours licking her lips. She wouldn't have a clue what to do with it if she caught one, mind.

I think the wood pigeons are funny. they don't seem to be the sharpest tools in the toolbox compared to other birds, but they do give you a laugh.

I left my trailcam out in the garden a few days ago and one of the clips showed two fledgling magpies teasing a wood pigeon by sneaking up behind it and pulling it's tail feathers.

The clip after had the pigeon battering one of the magpies to buggery before it flies off defeated. Had always thought of the woodies as big passive things, but it seems they don't suffer fools.

24 minutes ago, Rizzo said:

I left my trailcam out in the garden a few days ago and one of the clips showed two fledgling magpies teasing a wood pigeon by sneaking up behind it and pulling it's tail feathers.

The clip after had the pigeon battering one of the magpies to buggery before it flies off defeated. Had always thought of the woodies as big passive things, but it seems they don't suffer fools.

The Maggie thought it was messing with the Dove of Peace but wound up the Pigeon of Paggars instead!

23 hours ago, Rizzo said:

Ive got three or four wood pigeons come in and the magpies try dive bombing them off their feeding table but the pigeons give zero fúcks.

I dont know if they are brave or just stupid. 

57 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Ive got three or four wood pigeons come in and the magpies try dive bombing them off their feeding table but the pigeons give zero fúcks.

I dont know if they are brave or just stupid. 

I get the impression they're a bit stupid too. One was having a staring contest with the cat earlier and just sat there as the cat crept up to about 3 feet away. No sense of alarm whatsoever. They have pea-sized brains for quite a large bird. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/08/2023 at 22:41, Archie McSquackle said:

Herons seem to be getting more comfortable around people going by this one at Firhill Basin a few days ago.

20230807_133130.jpg

Haha...those are not people....they are ducks.

Anyway, one two separate occasions on Saturday I saw four ospreys (same four) flying over the river near my house.....have seen two together a few times but this definitely looked like a family outing. Suspect they will be going on their holidays to Senegal or Nigeria in the next three weeks or so.

Doing the shore walk at Carron Valley Reservoir with Mrs p and we saw three ospreys flying above the reservoir and trees, apparently they are there regularly.

Didn't have the required quality of camera unfortunately; if only @sugna had been with us.

On 19/08/2023 at 12:07, Zetterlund said:

Getting a bit creeped out by this well-fed woody staring at me through the blinds for the last 20 minutes.

He's maybe waiting for the cat to come out to play.

20230819_112511.jpg

I think he's sitting digesting food. Apparently they have to sit still to do that properly.