P&B Bird Watch

RedRob72

A couple of twitchers on the road outside my job taking photographs of waxwings. Loads of them in a hedge in nests. 

The industrial estate is full of rowan trees so looks like they picked a good spot. 

Only my second sighting of a brambling at the weekend, and the first one where there was any chance of getting a decent photo. Loved seeing the patterns and colours, and its behaviour and appearance alongside a host of chaffinches. It seems much less assertive, but of course it wasn't backed-up by its mates.

Nevertheless, my confident assertion is that bramblings are the scruffier, less confident cousins of chaffinches.

118A7787.thumb.JPG.0497578ac4e37e120ad31e4297979cb9.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/13/peregrine-falcon-thieves-dna-database-scotland-wild-raptors-birds-aoe

George Smith helped secure the conviction of two men for trading in wild raptors. Now, his work is helping to unveil an illegal multimillion-pound international industry..............................

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

3 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/13/peregrine-falcon-thieves-dna-database-scotland-wild-raptors-birds-aoe

George Smith helped secure the conviction of two men for trading in wild raptors. Now, his work is helping to unveil an illegal multimillion-pound international industry..............................

Thanks for that. It was an interesting read. The two guys should have went to prison though

2 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Thanks for that. It was an interesting read. The two guys should have went to prison though

I think under normal circumstances they would be going to prison but the reality is our prisons are full. Hopefully some locals take out retribution on the pair of wee c***s.

West Glen road up from Kilmacolm is a good one.

I got to within touching distance of a buzzard that was resting on a fence post while driving down in the daytime last summer to both mine and it's surprise. A barn owl flew across my headlights going uphill at night a different day. 

Power lines are good for novices like myself spotting birds of prey. It can be hard to distinguish exactly what they are, but Dodside road going south from Newton Mearns is a decent place to look.

Edited by 2426255

treecreeper3.thumb.jpg.fc9e987242c24b02106b3e7110c53488.jpg

treecreeper4.thumb.jpg.8a5464ff39901b23229e54b25df36aaa.jpg

treecreeper5.thumb.jpg.f59f714d47bf15cbeda567a4a0c6669b.jpg

Spot the elusive Treecreeper (I must replace my good zoom lens that got knackered last year). 

I only saw one a few years ago and now I've seen three over a weekend in two different places. 

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/feb/24/flaco-new-york-citys-beloved-owl-dies-after-striking-building

"The Eurasian eagle owl named Flaco, which escaped New York City’s Central Park Zoo last year, has died after crashing into a building in Manhattan, officials said late on Friday..............."

• 3 weeks later...

A white doo.

Had to go to a shopping centre in a different part of town and saw this pigeon outside a chemist shop. It wasn’t perturbed by the number of people going in and out of the shop or walking past. It was still there about half an hour later when I went back to my car.

IMG_0267.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Recently seen a couple of river birds that are supposed to prefer quiet spots in urban sites. 

Saw a kingfisher in a (large) copse about 50 yards from an active building site. 

Saw a dipper about 10 yards from the bridge i was on which carries an A road out of brecon town centre. 

Also a goosander nesting in a park in the town centre, a stones throw from a massive Tesco. 

As well as those, the cormorant colony in my local park must be over 50 birds easily now. 

I can only assume that sewage is good for them 

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

Recently seen a couple of river birds that are supposed to prefer quiet spots in urban sites. 

Saw a kingfisher in a (large) copse about 50 yards from an active building site. 

Saw a dipper about 10 yards from the bridge i was on which carries an A road out of brecon town centre. 

Also a goosander nesting in a park in the town centre, a stones throw from a massive Tesco. 

As well as those, the cormorant colony in my local park must be over 50 birds easily now. 

I can only assume that sewage is good for them 

Cormorants and Goosanders means a plentiful supply of fish close by.

On 03/04/2024 at 14:42, Bigmouth Strikes Again said:

Sparrowhawk in garden.

hawk.jpg.2d1b5dc977c4692061a5fdf6d0a80a9d.jpg

One visited our garden today, and has left a body and blood everywhere. They could at least 'do the dishes' after they have dinner.

37 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

One visited our garden today, and has left a body and blood everywhere. They could at least 'do the dishes' after they have dinner.

Yeah, amazing, lightning fast in flight, total killing machine.