The Photography Thread

On 28/12/2023 at 15:35, derek_holmes said:

Couple of shots of Kilchurn Castle taken on Boxing Day morning - one pre-sunrise and the other with some light hitting the castle. Reasonable reflections despite the stiff breeze. Not sure I've got the skill or the patience to get rid of the fence in Photoshop. Great location, though.

kilchurn castle.jpg

kilchurn castle-2.jpg

THis boy took a photo of kilchurn castle as well and about 10.30 into that video there's a tutorial using luminar on how to remove the fence using ai. You should be able to do it using Photoshop as well although what I've found with the majority of ai infills is that it's at a lower quality than the image you're using so may look a bit naff. 

On 28/12/2023 at 15:35, derek_holmes said:

Couple of shots of Kilchurn Castle taken on Boxing Day morning - one pre-sunrise and the other with some light hitting the castle. Reasonable reflections despite the stiff breeze. Not sure I've got the skill or the patience to get rid of the fence in Photoshop. Great location, though.

kilchurn castle.jpg

kilchurn castle-2.jpg

That's spectacular mate.

On 29/12/2023 at 20:09, greendot said:

THis boy took a photo of kilchurn castle as well and about 10.30 into that video there's a tutorial using luminar on how to remove the fence using ai. You should be able to do it using Photoshop as well although what I've found with the majority of ai infills is that it's at a lower quality than the image you're using so may look a bit naff. 

Thanks for this. Updated Photoshop and gave the generative fill tool a go. Not too shabby, although as you say the filled section is noticeably softer than the rest of the image when zoomed in.

kilchurn castle 3.jpg

So since I started I've shot sports, and sports only. 

This year I promise I will get into landscape and will finish the year with at least 2 images I'm happy to print....the only thing is I have no idea what I'm doing. (as seen in the below pics).

Anyone have any books/YouTube Vids that they would recomend?

416062904_7384389191611048_7151962725447626339_n.jpg.dee1ac687b759cb73f208abc2b2f0875.jpg

416000960_7384390204944280_7503957620535355577_n.jpg.ceffaa04bc2703997f20a03b1c45603a.jpg

13 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

This year I promise I will get into landscape and will finish the year with at least 2 images I'm happy to print....the only thing is I have no idea what I'm doing. (as seen in the below pics).

416062904_7384389191611048_7151962725447626339_n.jpg.dee1ac687b759cb73f208abc2b2f0875.jpg

416000960_7384390204944280_7503957620535355577_n.jpg.ceffaa04bc2703997f20a03b1c45603a.jpg

The bottom one with the tree isn't a bad effort to be honest. You've slowed the shutter speed down so got that smokey effect on the water. Composition is quite good too. Once you get going you'll understand how to use ND filters to really maximise the water effect. Do you shoot in an auto programme or use manual? Manual is the way to go so you'll need to understand the exposure triangle (ISO, shutter speed and aperture). Once you've got your head around that (and it's not difficult) you're well on your way. Also, always shoot in RAW and not Jpg as this will give you so much more versatility when editing your images in Lightroom or Photoshop.

For landscape I'd also recommend a full frame camera and lens although not essential when starting out. I use a 20mm prime and a 24-70mm for most of my landscape stuff. I'd also recommend a good sturdy tri-pod and a cable release. You're trying to minimise movement to get the sharpest of images.

You'll learn loads from watching YouTube videos (if you can put up with all the fecking adverts)and guys I'd recommend following are: 

1) Hendry Turner (keeps it simple and a really likeable guy)

2) Thomas Heaton

3) Nigel Danson

There are loads to be honest. Just Google learn landscape photography. Everyone has their own style and you'll learn loads no matter who you follow.

I started off doing wildlife and that can be frustrating so moved over to landscape which is equally frustrating. I'm now dabbling in street photography which is interesting but equally frustrating. 🫤 All very enjoyable though and every day is a school day.

14 hours ago, Mackie The Staggie said:

Landscape photography YouTubers for some reason seem to be mostly dour men from the north of England (and the occasional bubbly man from the north of England). I'd add the likes of Adam Karnacz, Ian Worth, Gary Gough, Stuart McGlennon and Mads Peter Iversen to Stevo's list of likeable people who produce impressive work, know what they're talking about and are good at putting across the basics of things like composition, settings, use of filters, editing techniques etc without being too dogmatic. You obviously know your way around a camera so it won't be information overload like it can be for many people (myself included when I started out).

One thing I'd say is not to get too hung up on emulating the images the top YouTubers produce in their videos - as well as being very good photographers they're also out and about constantly in the best locations with the best conditions. As you'll know from sports photography, getting out with your camera, experimenting and making your own mistakes is the best way to learn.

Looking forward to seeing your two prints at the end of the year!

11 minutes ago, philpy said:

Sorry for clogging up the thread, but I love these little buggers.

P1050229.JPG

Same location?

I was walking the dog in Riverside Park (Glenrothes) a few weeks back and a Kingfisher was literally 5 feet in front of me. Couldn't believe it.

2 minutes ago, Stevo Fife said:

Same location?

I was walking the dog in Riverside Park (Glenrothes) a few weeks back and a Kingfisher was literally 5 feet in front of me. Couldn't believe it.

Yep. After 3 1/2 hours of searching for the otters, was just about to leave and it landed about 6ft away. 

19 minutes ago, philpy said:

Sorry for clogging up the thread, but I love these little buggers.

P1050229.JPG

Maybe it's your spirit animal.

23 minutes ago, philpy said:

Yep. After 3 1/2 hours of searching for the otters, was just about to leave and it landed about 6ft away. 

Must visit. Sounds like a good location.👍

Spent the New Year in Cyprus so thought I'd try a bit of street photography. These were all taken in the Northern Nicosia (Turkish side) in a wee area just off the UN buffer zone. Fascinating place, lovely people.

850_0459.jpg

850_0473-Edit.jpg

850_0484.jpg

850_0499-Facebook-2.jpg

850_0503.jpg

850_0509.jpg

850_0309.jpg

On 05/01/2024 at 09:56, Stevo Fife said:

The bottom one with the tree isn't a bad effort to be honest. You've slowed the shutter speed down so got that smokey effect on the water. Composition is quite good too. Once you get going you'll understand how to use ND filters to really maximise the water effect. Do you shoot in an auto programme or use manual? Manual is the way to go so you'll need to understand the exposure triangle (ISO, shutter speed and aperture). Once you've got your head around that (and it's not difficult) you're well on your way. Also, always shoot in RAW and not Jpg as this will give you so much more versatility when editing your images in Lightroom or Photoshop.

For landscape I'd also recommend a full frame camera and lens although not essential when starting out. I use a 20mm prime and a 24-70mm for most of my landscape stuff. I'd also recommend a good sturdy tri-pod and a cable release. You're trying to minimise movement to get the sharpest of images.

You'll learn loads from watching YouTube videos (if you can put up with all the fecking adverts)and guys I'd recommend following are: 

1) Hendry Turner (keeps it simple and a really likeable guy)

2) Thomas Heaton

3) Nigel Danson

There are loads to be honest. Just Google learn landscape photography. Everyone has their own style and you'll learn loads no matter who you follow.

I started off doing wildlife and that can be frustrating so moved over to landscape which is equally frustrating. I'm now dabbling in street photography which is interesting but equally frustrating. 🫤 All very enjoyable though and every day is a school day.

I shot on manual so everything was controlled and shot RAW which is the opposite to what I do when out at the football.  Heaton is the reason why I'm giving landscapes a serious shot this year, I'll get onto the other 2 and see what I can get from them.

I think the issue I'm going to have is not so much the technical side, but more the 'talent' side, being able to identify the compositions and views I found really difficult, in fact when I was out I took images of 3 scenes....and the first one was so bad I've scrubbed it from existence already.

On 05/01/2024 at 11:05, derek_holmes said:

Landscape photography YouTubers for some reason seem to be mostly dour men from the north of England (and the occasional bubbly man from the north of England). I'd add the likes of Adam Karnacz, Ian Worth, Gary Gough, Stuart McGlennon and Mads Peter Iversen to Stevo's list of likeable people who produce impressive work, know what they're talking about and are good at putting across the basics of things like composition, settings, use of filters, editing techniques etc without being too dogmatic. You obviously know your way around a camera so it won't be information overload like it can be for many people (myself included when I started out).

One thing I'd say is not to get too hung up on emulating the images the top YouTubers produce in their videos - as well as being very good photographers they're also out and about constantly in the best locations with the best conditions. As you'll know from sports photography, getting out with your camera, experimenting and making your own mistakes is the best way to learn.

Looking forward to seeing your two prints at the end of the year!

I'll get onto the other suggestions, thanks.

I think the issue i have is I can look at a photo and see why it works....but I can't get that when I'm out in the filed (so to speak) I think it's a case that right now I'm rushing the process and don't have a checklist to work through.  I do when I cover a game or race