The Photography Thread

18 hours ago, SilverWolfe said:

IMG_0587.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

Like the water view composition with the liner off-center and partially obscured. Too many people try to center things and ruin pictures.

The road/burn combination reminds me of some professionally composed computer wallpaper, perhaps because of the brilliant blue sky. I like it. Nice work.

21 hours ago, Stevo Fife said:

Very nice. Love the Flamingo pic. Where was that taken? We were watching them a few weeks back in Larnaca but only had a 24-70 lens so no reach. Amazing birds.

12 hours ago, Venti said:

Best thing is the road & burn seem to taper off along with the hill.

Great shot.

Cheers Guys.

The Flamingo's were actually shot in Rancho Texas Zoo in Lanzarote. Really hoping to get out and get some real wildlife when i get a decent camera. 40th in September so hopefully the Mrs will sort something. 

The Road & Burn one is my own favourite, it was taken in the Kilpatrick Hills up behind where I live, we walk up to the Greenside Reservoir, some cracking views up there. 

4 hours ago, SilverWolfe said:

Cheers Guys.

The Flamingo's were actually shot in Rancho Texas Zoo in Lanzarote. Really hoping to get out and get some real wildlife when i get a decent camera. 40th in September so hopefully the Mrs will sort something. 

The Road & Burn one is my own favourite, it was taken in the Kilpatrick Hills up behind where I live, we walk up to the Greenside Reservoir, some cracking views up there. 

I’d seriously look at the road and burn picture as a stock photo, might make a few pence.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a premium compact camera? I'm looking for an alternative to my DSLR particularly when I'm away travelling. I've had enough of lugging heavy glass around the place especially in hotter climates. I've been looking through the latest offerings from the usual companies but it can get pretty confusing pretty quick! At a push I could possibly look at a mirror less 4/3 camera probably with a wide angle lens as I'll probably be shooting landscapes most of the time albeit I appreciate that you can still take lands ape photos with a telephoto as well!

I’m about to start an SQA certificated level 4 photography course. 

Do you lovely people have any suggestions for supplemental photography training or resources that you would recommend in partnership?

Thank you.

On 19/01/2024 at 08:05, greendot said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a premium compact camera? I'm looking for an alternative to my DSLR particularly when I'm away travelling. I've had enough of lugging heavy glass around the place especially in hotter climates. I've been looking through the latest offerings from the usual companies but it can get pretty confusing pretty quick! At a push I could possibly look at a mirror less 4/3 camera probably with a wide angle lens as I'll probably be shooting landscapes most of the time albeit I appreciate that you can still take lands ape photos with a telephoto as well!

Not something I'm familiar with but just Google for options.

I started off many moons ago with a Panasonic Lumix 4/3 and it was a brilliant camera. Super sharp and lightweight.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-travel-camera

On 19/01/2024 at 08:40, Molotov said:

I’m about to start an SQA certificated level 4 photography course. 

Do you lovely people have any suggestions for supplemental photography training or resources that you would recommend in partnership?

Thank you.

Lots of great info on Youtube.

My mate joined the School of Photography and he swears by it. His photography has come on great past few months.

Just now, Stevo Fife said:

Not something I'm familiar with but just Google for options.

I started off many moons ago with a Panasonic Lumix 4/3 and it was a brilliant camera. Super sharp and lightweight.

https://www.techradar.com/news/best-travel-camera

Aye I'm trawling the talk photogrpahy forums as they've got a series of dedicated threads for each camera so folk are posting photos of their work on flickr which has their original image size so they're good for pixel peeping!  A lot of the cameras that I'm looking at are in and around the 20mp range so it's really about looking at other options to see which is the preferrable choice. A bit of a minefield none the less!

4 minutes ago, greendot said:

Aye I'm trawling the talk photogrpahy forums as they've got a series of dedicated threads for each camera so folk are posting photos of their work on flickr which has their original image size so they're good for pixel peeping!  A lot of the cameras that I'm looking at are in and around the 20mp range so it's really about looking at other options to see which is the preferrable choice. A bit of a minefield none the less!

I wouldn't get too hung up on mp. Folk seem to think the better the mp the better the camera/image. Not necessarily the case. 

I take my DSLR away regardless even if abroad, so using a compact not my thing. Obvious downside is weight but I can live with that for image quality. Will move over to mirrorless eventually once I'm convinced and can afford it. Had a go on the Nikon Z8 last week and not a lot lighter than the D850 which Is what I currently use. Image quality I don't see that much of a difference. Lens are certainly lighter which is a huge plus. 

On 19/01/2024 at 08:05, greendot said:

I had a lovely wee Lumix LX3 I think with a Leica lens which I gave away to my son, and I think I upgraded it to a LX7 as I was going to Canada for a big anniversary. Metal body but very compact and it took RAW and had a moderate zoom so I carted it to fitba games in my pooch. I just use the phone now as it's better quality anyway but I imagine they have reached about the LX20 by this time and it was only about £200 quid from that geezer in Fife. I don't know if he's still trading but the likes of Panamoz will be good for price. Also a lot of my friends are using the Olympus 4/3 these days although I don't fancy such a small sensor, I'm just as happy carting my big gear for all the difference they keep going on about.