The Photography Thread

On 05/01/2024 at 15:22, philpy said:

It's very easy to find, just near portobello 

Yeah, it's a reasonably reliable pond as well as the burn alongside, quite often otters too. Also the boating pond at Musselburgh by the racecourse, plus Mavisbank House pond near me. Plenty Kingfishers about if you have patience. A couple here from a well-known pond in Penicuik last Sunday:

R5__2383-Enhanced-NR.thumb.jpg.f27a974e893e88934b943599e09fe214.jpg

R5__2458-Enhanced-NR.thumb.jpg.95213801dbfe261a2e45e218e1245cc9.jpg

Edited by The Mantis

14 hours ago, philpy said:

Back at figgate today, been every day except Wednesday 😂

Down at Musselburgh at 9.30 looking for the Black-Necked Grebe that's been hanging around at the river mouth. Never saw it but you could easily nip down. It was seen earlier in the morning but comes and goes.
Only waited half an hour as it was absolutely Baltic. Also male Goldeneye starting to do their daft courtship displays. Got good shots of the Slavonian Grebe at Holyrood a few weeks back but don't know if it's still around.

51 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Down at Musselburgh at 9.30 looking for the Black-Necked Grebe that's been hanging around at the river mouth. Never saw it but you could easily nip down. It was seen earlier in the morning but comes and goes.
Only waited half an hour as it was absolutely Baltic. Also male Goldeneye starting to do their daft courtship displays. Got good shots of the Slavonian Grebe at Holyrood a few weeks back but don't know if it's still around.

I'm currently at figgate again, according to someone here the otters are very active today. 

Had the perfect otter photo ruined by a dog walker who saw the otter, but didn't actually think to put her dog on the straightaway. Thankfully it never got at the otter, but it wasn't far away 🤬

3 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Crushing the other's ribcage in with their legs?

45 minutes ago, Venti said:

Crushing the other's ribcage in with their legs?

😂
I've seen a few fairly violent Mallard couplings where they nearly drown the female but this is the kind of thing, just showing off

uuidD2B1A5A7-BF77-466C-9493-4DD8D2C5928Elibrary1type1mode1loctruecaptrue.thumb.jpeg.cd0dbaed7a2cd1380e20c6bb91de0ed8.jpeg

1 minute ago, The Mantis said:

😂
I've seen a few fairly violent Mallard couplings where they nearly drown the female but this is the kind of thing, just showing off

uuidD2B1A5A7-BF77-466C-9493-4DD8D2C5928Elibrary1type1mode1loctruecaptrue.thumb.jpeg.cd0dbaed7a2cd1380e20c6bb91de0ed8.jpeg

"Where's the money Lebowski?!"

On 06/01/2024 at 09:14, Stevo Fife said:

Spent the New Year in Cyprus so thought I'd try a bit of street photography. These were all taken in the Northern Nicosia (Turkish side) in a wee area just off the UN buffer zone. Fascinating place, lovely people.

850_0459.jpg

850_0473-Edit.jpg

850_0484.jpg

850_0499-Facebook-2.jpg

850_0503.jpg

850_0509.jpg

850_0309.jpg

Absolutely love these. The one of the old boy with the fag sat looking at you is a belter. 

Do you ask their permission to publish or is it just a case if free reign as their on public land?

I'm thinking about getting into photography. This would be the route I'd go down. (I've thought about it for years but just never bit the bullet and done it).

On 06/01/2024 at 09:14, Stevo Fife said:

Spent the New Year in Cyprus so thought I'd try a bit of street photography. These were all taken in the Northern Nicosia (Turkish side) in a wee area just off the UN buffer zone. Fascinating place, lovely people.

850_0459.jpg

850_0473-Edit.jpg

850_0484.jpg

850_0499-Facebook-2.jpg

850_0503.jpg

850_0509.jpg

850_0309.jpg

These are fascinating captures. Love the black and white almost sepia. Reminds me of my time in Cyprus when hubby was stationed there back in late 80s. Such a friendly island despite the politics. 

6 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

Absolutely love these. The one of the old boy with the fag sat looking at you is a belter. 

Do you ask their permission to publish or is it just a case if free reign as their on public land?

I'm thinking about getting into photography. This would be the route I'd go down. (I've thought about it for years but just never bit the bullet and done it).

Too kind sir.

If they see me trying to take a pic then I politely ask if it's ok. That's just good manners. If they are oblivious, then I just take the shot. The oblivious ones tend to work better as more natural I guess. Ideally, you don't want them staring at the camera and smiling but sometimes that just works fine.

If it's something you're interested in then just do it. Never a dull moment and lots to learn.

6 hours ago, Carol Anne said:

These are fascinating captures. Love the black and white almost sepia. Reminds me of my time in Cyprus when hubby was stationed there back in late 80s. Such a friendly island despite the politics. 

My fourth visit and will probably go back. My stepson is based in Nicosia for 6 months with the UN so was a good excuse to go for New Year. Nicosia is an amazing city. Can't quite believe how much Limassol and Paphos have grown in size since my first visit in 92. Quite disappointed as they have lost most their character.

Have enjoyed spending the last few days working through this thread. Some very talented people on here. 

I'm just in the learning phase at the moment so just using my iphone when out and about. Sorry to bring the quality barrier crashing down but would like to share some photos on here.  

I'm sure ill be on here soon enough asking questions about equipment etc

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

On 07/01/2024 at 23:37, The Mantis said:

😂

Great photo but I can't help but think It looks like a rabbit/bird hybrid floating on its back!

10 hours ago, SilverWolfe said:

Have enjoyed spending the last few days working through this thread. Some very talented people on here. 

I'm just in the learning phase at the moment so just using my iphone when out and about. Sorry to bring the quality barrier crashing down but would like to share some photos on here.  

I'm sure ill be on here soon enough asking questions about equipment etc

IMG_0158.jpeg

IMG_0488.jpeg

IMG_0587.jpeg

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_1045.jpeg

IMG_1222.jpeg

Very nice. Love the Flamingo pic. Where was that taken? We were watching them a few weeks back in Larnaca but only had a 24-70 lens so no reach. Amazing birds.

On 07/01/2024 at 23:09, Stevo Fife said:

Might as well chuck in a couple of Cypriot sunsets. 🌅

850_0342.jpg

850_0402.jpg

850_0444.jpg

Belters.

Could hear John Williams' Binary Sunset playing in my head while looking at them.

Spoiler

Edited by Venti