Motherwell v Dundee 25th of Feb

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our defending was so bad I found it funny. Joe Chalmers isn't a footballer and I don't rate him but fans abusing him after every bad touch/pass etc and cheering when he was subbed isn't going to help.

Jules never recovered from his comedy own goal and was useless on the ball - punting it without looking every time. Again our fans abusing him isn't going to help anyone. The cheering every time Samson caught the ball was cringey as well.

I'd have given McGhee till the end of the season but I can't see how he can recover from that fans reaction. His position is untenable.

I'd have happily given McGhee til the end of the season but while you could maybe put the 7-2 at Pittodrie down to a mass, collective shitemare to then go and ship 5 in the first half at home against Dundee in such comedy fashion is, as others have said, completely unacceptable.

It's difficult not to feel that something's not right. With McGhee being out of contract in the summer he's become this sort of elephant in the room figure.

Our (lack of) defending today was absolutely spectacular. With Robinson coming back in I can't help but wonder if we've anticipated the possibility of having to make a decision on McGhee imminently.

18 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Our defending was so bad I found it funny. Joe Chalmers isn't a footballer and I don't rate him but fans abusing him after every bad touch/pass etc and cheering when he was subbed isn't going to help.

All jokes aside, and I realise I've been panning Chalmers for literally about a year now, but that was hard to see, and genuinely felt for the guy.

This sympathy should not be confused with thinking he's anything other than dross, either.

Got the feeling even at 1-1 that Dundee could give Well a bit of a doing, some of the play was comical. Particularly enjoyed the free kick where the Motherwell player passed it straight to the 1 man wall of Wighton. 

Thought James Vincent was exceptional, even the way he kept pushing everyone to press Motherwell at every throw in. Good result for us. 

As close to 4th as 11th now which is a nice position to be in!

Just now, thisGRAEME said:

All jokes aside, and I realise I've been panning Chalmers for literally about a year now, but that was hard to see, and genuinely felt for the guy.

This sympathy should not be confused with thinking he's anything other than dross, either.

And yet McGhee has picked him for almost every game when he has been fit.

Pockets of fans booing clearly hasn't sent the message that is is unacceptable for Joe Chalmers to be in a Motherwell shirt. Hopefully today got the message across.

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd have happily given McGhee til the end of the season but while you could maybe put the 7-2 at Pittodrie down to a mass, collective shitemare to then go and ship 5 in the first half at home against Dundee in such comedy fashion is, as others have said, completely unacceptable.

It's difficult not to feel that something's not right. With McGhee being out of contract in the summer he's become this sort of elephant in the room figure.

Our (lack of) defending today was absolutely spectacular. With Robinson coming back in I can't help but wonder if we've anticipated the possibility of having to make a decision on McGhee imminently.

Pretty much.  I think McGhee has had a lot of bad luck this season. Referee's have not been kind.  Neither have injuries and suspensions, there can't be many times he's been able to put out his best team.  And McGhee can hardly be held responsible for the McManus debacle at Ibrox, the wild deflection off Lasley against Hearts, or a defender scoring an 18 yard backwards header OG today.  And top of all that he has a very hard job even when every thing goes according to plan and I don't think enough of our supporters realise that.

However, he has lost the majority of fans, looks like he's lost the players after that performance today and his recent interviews have been pretty erratic. 

I don't expect anyone to come in and make Joe Chalmers a player and I don't expect us to get significantly better because we have a poor team, outside the front two but McGhee's team seems like it is up.

A loss next week would surely be the end. 

He's the one that's turned our team around. Love the big guy. Such a dominant force. Doesn't score a lot but he drags the whole team into the opposition half and that's what we were badly lacking.

I think having Vincent in and Hateley out has made a big difference in the past 2 games.

Archived