St Mirren v Dundee United 15/3/17

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

United were rotten until Mikkleson came on.

When they went 4 up top second half and were shelling the ball and winning it more often than not you felt we were going to throw it away.

Still the boys dug deep and got the result.

Only hope Harry Davis injury isn't too bad. He's been great but I suspect that might finish his season.

Dislocated knee from what I've been told.

Fantastic result and very much a game of two halves. Both of which we saw us drawing in different strengths.

The first half we were very much in control aside from a 5 minute spell where we seemed to switch off after the Utd player went off injured. This gave them a bit of an opening and sure enough they scored during it. That aside, the onus was on us to attack without creating too many clear cut opportunities - goals aside - but again, we certainly deserved the lead. Mallan's goal, fantastic as it was, was a horrific mixture of bad wall organisation and positioning by the keeper. He more or less invited Mallan to knock it in.

Davis' injury is a sickener and one I hope doesn't unsettle us too badly. Baird is capable enough but Harry really has been our defensive shining light. It's time for MacKenzie to step in and lead the back four in the same manner now. Hopefully the reports of a dislocated kneecap were wide of the mark and it was certainly encouraging to see him standing in the tunnel (albeit on crutches) and cheering the team on in the last 10 minutes.

The second half was very much a case of digging in and trying to absorb Utd pressure and we did so pretty decently. Utd hit the post and had one ruled off for offside (correctly by looks of things) but aside from a brilliant Andreu strike, just really huffed and puffed without challenging us. Our third goal looked like the same old story of spurning a low driven cross along the six yard box but thankfully, Morgan got his foot onto it before it could break clear. We had a great chance to seal it at the very death but passed it up.

All in all a fantastic three points and over the piece, just about deserved, especially as we tired really badly in the last 15 minutes. Really drives home just how much of an opportunity we passed up last Wednesday but not point in looking back. Thankfully, Saturday sees the end of this long run of Saturday-Wednesday fixtures and we can look forward to once a week for the next Month or so and hopefully a less tired squad.

Every game is now our biggest of the season but the next three league games will make or break us. QotS away, followed by Ayr and Dumbarton at home all have to be approached as winnable.

That second half was excruciating but we got there in the end. I thought Gary Irvine was fantastic again (clearly still hates the DABs) and Cammy Smith put a hell of a shift in, he pretty much did all of Sutton's pressing for him and set up the third goal through sheer persistence. Magennis had some great bits of play when he came on too.

2 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

That second half was excruciating but we got there in the end. I thought Gary Irvine was fantastic again (clearly still hates the DABs) and Cammy Smith put a hell of a shift in, he pretty much did all of Sutton's pressing for him and set up the third goal through sheer persistence. Magennis had some great bits of play when he came on too.

I thought Smith looked shattered by the point of the third goal, so was surprised he worked his way into the position to drive it.

Loy had his best game in a Saints shirt as well tonight. He did some amount of leg work.

You're clearly the sort of moron who sees St Mirren's position as more important than our own, so I'll just stop now.

I work in Greenock and a guy Ton fan only talks to me about St Mirren's position and never mentions the wonderful season Morton are having. Quite incredible really

1 minute ago, Kingston Bud said:

I work in Greenock and a guy Ton fan only talks to me about St Mirren's position and never mentions the wonderful season Morton are having. Quite incredible really

To be fair I talk about how great Morton are to everyone apart from St. Mirren fans. The Midden fans I know only get hit with reminders of how shit their season is. Horses for courses.

2 minutes ago, Kingston Bud said:

Just like Rangers and Celtic fans who only want to talk about the other 1

I thought we deserved it, but the second half was one hell of a tough watch. It will be some effort if we can take anything from the Qos game as they were absolutely running on fumes for the last 25 mins. Ross will probably have to shake things up a bit. I imagine Magennis and Stelios will certainly play on Saturday.

Hope we play the U20s in the diddy cup final. We need everyone fit for the important games and that ain't one of them.

Edit to add: Jack on Radio Scotland tonight admitted he maybe should have fielded a weaker team against Celtic. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

To be fair I talk about how great Morton are to everyone apart from St. Mirren fans. The Midden fans I know only get hit with reminders of how shit their season is. Horses for courses.

I don't know any morton fans to talk to.....thank f**k.

Archived