The Dundee Manager Monorail

• Replies 854
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Im beginning to warm to this - but give him a 3 year contract and sack him in June when he's saved us. It's the Dundee way.

That bookies list is just f'n horrific. Certainly would go for Jocky. Has shown he is able to get the best from what is generally a crap squad, and don't we half have that, unlike a lot of the managers quoted that have needed time to get their own squad assembled. Given the long term contracts we have and the limits of our budget I would get him till May 18 with the plan to hand over to McPake. If cash is available then Jocky with Jack Ross to replace once the season is over

1 minute ago, RossDee01 said:

Owen Coyle can get right to f**k.

Thank You.

He is the one I would credit with finally turning St Johnstone round and started them on the road to where we are now. maybe some long term and open minds needed here

He is the one I would credit with finally turning St Johnstone round and started them on the road to where we are now. maybe some long term and open minds needed here

In all seriousness I still wouldn't take him tbh. Like you said he failed down south (and pretty miserably at that). He did do well at Saints, but he just doesn't strike me as the type of guy that will ever be a great manager.

The owners have got connections with Houston Dynamo who did have Owen Coyle employed for a time, hes now failed at Bolton and Blackburn so unlikely to get anything more down south, this job might be at his sort of level now.

The chat was that he had essentially agreed to take the Motherwell job replacing McGhee. The club wanted him and he was seemingly keen.

However it's supposed to have fallen through when it became apparent that him taking a job within a certain timeframe of him having been binned by Blackburn would substantially reduce the money he was due from his pay out so he pulled out.

I'd imagine it'd be a similar situation here.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

The chat was that he had essentially agreed to take the Motherwell job replacing McGhee. The club wanted him and he was seemingly keen.

However it's supposed to have fallen through when it became apparent that him taking a job within a certain timeframe of him having been binned by Blackburn would substantially reduce the money he was due from his pay out so he pulled out.

I'd imagine it'd be a similar situation here.

Either that, or he sobered up and realised WTF he'd agreed to.

Either that, or he sobered up and realised WTF he'd agreed to.

Quite possibly but either way there was enough oddness around the timeline before Robinson eventually got the job to suggest that there was someone lined up as a first choice and it fell through. Whether that person was Coyle or not, f**k knows but there were quite a few folk who are normally pretty sound with info indicating that it was.

We went public suggesting we hoped to have someone announced quickly, then it was before the Aberdeen game before ending up having interviews after that then eventually appointing a guy who was already at the club.

Scottish based rules out: Alan Stubbs, any exotic ex-Dee, any American, Owen Coyle?

Available now rules out: Jim Duffy, Jack Ross, David Hopkirk, Scott Paterson, Barry Smith, Darren Young, Peter Houston, Gary Locke.

Removing the couple of unrealistic targets in the odds such as Walter Smith.

That leaves a selection of Brian McClair, Archie Knox (Who fits the knows the players criteria), Jocky Scott, Mark McGhee and Terry Butcher.

Out of that list I'd go for Jocky first for the short term as McClair would be too much of a risk in comparison. McClair would be 2nd. McGhee and Butcher would be depressing.

Archived