New clubs in the East of Scotland

41 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

"Sorry, despite ticking all the boxes for membership we think yer pish, so bugger off" 🙄

How would you handle community youth clubs who decide to join and field a Senior side eg  Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts a few seasons back? no track record at all, tell them to bugger off as well?  What about the clubs in the WoSFL who joined without much (or no) track record?

It may not have crossed your mind, but perhaps Linton Hotspur actually know what is required to compete, and once confirmed as members, will set about strengthening their squad? given their professionalism shown with their application to date, I'd be very surprised if they're going into this with their ammy squad.

And for that matter, Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts needed some time to get going, the first season they struggled, but by now they are clearly of added value for the league. Tweedmouth are even a better example. They struggled for years but used the time to develop as a club. Now they aren't the league whipping boys anymore, they improved a lot and found their level. These projects need time, Linton Hotspur will likely be no exception. They deserve a chance and if it doesn't work out, they can just go back to the amateurs.

49 minutes ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Looking forward to Linton Hotspur v Hawick Royal Albert being described as a Borders derby. Hawick is 46 miles away! (Every other team in that league is closer to West Linton than Hawick. The closest league team being Edinburgh College, at a mere 18 miles distant, and the closest EOSFL team being Penicuik at nine miles.)

Only 22 miles to Lanark though 😂

It's funny but not a reason to question their league position. In my line of work, you find boundaries are a strange beast with many exceptions to the rule! 

9 hours ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

By way of explanation....when I played amateur football I always looked up at the Junior and East of Scotland teams.  They were, in my opinion - and many others; a step up in quality.

Whenever we played against teams at this level, we tried all the harder to get 'one-over' them.  We rarely succeeded.

Later I made the step up and played both Junior and East of Scotland.  We played friendlies against amateur teams and they always hard fought - to the point it was almost dangerous playing against them.  If you weren't sharp you could end up injured.  That told me the desire to get one over the 'big boys' was still there.

By letting in a team who finished fourth bottom, of the bottom league in season 2021/22.....a team who are currently sitting third bottom in the third division of the amateur league will, IN MY OPIONION, drop the standard of the league.

Linton Hotspur may have a nice ground, but will they be competitive?  They might have reached the final of the South Cup last season - but they have shown nothing that would convince me that they'll enhance the standard of football in the East of Scotland league.

The step up is there.  Try telling Harthill Royal or Fauldhouse that they are an amateur side - I'm sure they'd be furious.  Both teams take pride in playing in the EoS league, and at the higher than amateur level.

It seems there's an air of 'If you build it, they will come' in all of this.

The EoS league should be looking to keep the standard high.  The league should always be a step up for an amateur player.  Allowing teams in on the basis they have a nice pitch and facilities is stupid.  If, and when Linton Hotspurs join the league and lose heavily week in, week out - they'll fold or head back to the amateurs.  And the league will be left looking stupid.

As I say, MY OPINION - so don't bother coming back with the character assassination comments if it differs from yours.

WOSL board for this pish. You forgot to mention "glorified boys clubs" though. Which is of course what all football clubs were at one point.

4 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Not being pedantic. But it's maybe worth pointing out that Syngenta were a new club at adult level. Linton are an established amateur club. 

I know it's not comparable but just to highlight a few clubs that came over from the joonyurs at the same time.

Whitburn, Armadale and to a lesser extent Athletic of the Boness persuasion. They are progressing fairly rapid but not over exerting from what I see out here. Syngenta never appeared to have a plan in place, just go senior and it will all work out.

Syngenta and boness played junior before going to the pyramid 

2 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

Syngenta and boness played junior before going to the pyramid 

I meant they started an adult team; that's what I meant by senior. But I understand it can be misconstrued.

I seen them at Junior level. Before and after the Pennies Incident.

Athletic as we all know were meant to be United's wee team back then.

I was just trying to highlight that not all new clubs are like Syngenta.

Knew them back in youth coaching days, always thought they were better than all around them.

9 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Indeed... partly as their access to Grangemouth was too limited. Then joined East Juniors, and became tenants at Dunipace.

Incidentally as it stands next season's Third Division could well be:

Bathgate Thistle, Craigroyston, Edinburgh College, Fauldhouse United, Harthill Royal, Hawick Royal Albert, Linton Hotspur, Livingston Utd, Lochgelly Albert, Pumpherston, Stoneyburn

so decent but not outlandishly formidable.

Over last 15yrs most amateur + youth entrants or takeovers have more than held their own anyway... Tynecastle, LTHV and Inverkeithing... Leith and Burntisland... Tweedmouth and Edinburgh South... they're spread right across the divisions.

Your awfully sure West Calder going to finish third and get promoted  to second division. Edinburgh  College are still 3rd on goal difference. Just saying lol 😆 

Edited by Pumphyman

3 hours ago, Pumphyman said:

Your awfully sure West Calder going to finish third and get promoted  to second division. Edinburgh  College are still 3rd on goal difference. Just saying lol 😆 

Well said Pumphyman, you beat me too it. Good old HibeeJibee must have something against the STUDENTS. By all accounts it looks like West Calder are self destructing. Come on all CLASSMATES sharpen those pencils and get promotion to Division 2.

22 hours ago, MrIrvinePollock said:

By way of explanation....when I played amateur football I always looked up at the Junior and East of Scotland teams.  They were, in my opinion - and many others; a step up in quality.

Whenever we played against teams at this level, we tried all the harder to get 'one-over' them.  We rarely succeeded.

Later I made the step up and played both Junior and East of Scotland.  We played friendlies against amateur teams and they always hard fought - to the point it was almost dangerous playing against them.  If you weren't sharp you could end up injured.  That told me the desire to get one over the 'big boys' was still there.

By letting in a team who finished fourth bottom, of the bottom league in season 2021/22.....a team who are currently sitting third bottom in the third division of the amateur league will, IN MY OPIONION, drop the standard of the league.

Linton Hotspur may have a nice ground, but will they be competitive?  They might have reached the final of the South Cup last season - but they have shown nothing that would convince me that they'll enhance the standard of football in the East of Scotland league.

The step up is there.  Try telling Harthill Royal or Fauldhouse that they are an amateur side - I'm sure they'd be furious.  Both teams take pride in playing in the EoS league, and at the higher than amateur level.

It seems there's an air of 'If you build it, they will come' in all of this.

The EoS league should be looking to keep the standard high.  The league should always be a step up for an amateur player.  Allowing teams in on the basis they have a nice pitch and facilities is stupid.  If, and when Linton Hotspurs join the league and lose heavily week in, week out - they'll fold or head back to the amateurs.  And the league will be left looking stupid.

As I say, MY OPINION - so don't bother coming back with the character assassination comments if it differs from yours.

Disagree with some of that, there is an overlap between a good amatuer team and a Third division EOS team. 

You used Harthill as an example. They signed 5/6 boys from my Sunday team back in December. We are a bog standard amateur team, and they have improved dramatically. 

12 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

I meant they started an adult team; that's what I meant by senior. But I understand it can be misconstrued.

I seen them at Junior level. Before and after the Pennies Incident.

Athletic as we all know were meant to be United's wee team back then.

I was just trying to highlight that not all new clubs are like Syngenta.

Knew them back in youth coaching days, always thought they were better than all around them.

Syngenta should have stuck to youth football. Thats the bread and butter for them. Spent decades competing with Gairdoch to be the best set up in the Falkirk area and were well respected. 

The Pennies fiasco should never have happened and has left a stain on their reputation.

1 hour ago, latapythelegend said:

Syngenta should have stuck to youth football. Thats the bread and butter for them. Spent decades competing with Gairdoch to be the best set up in the Falkirk area and were well respected. 

The Pennies fiasco should never have happened and has left a stain on their reputation.

Totally agree 're Pennies.

Yes the boys that started were struggling but the way that Pennies were brought in was abhorrent. 

Syngenta at youth level always had this air of superiority.

There's no harm in youth setups going adult. As long as they do it properly.

There are examples recently; Gartcairn, St.Cadocs.

6 hours ago, Pumphyman said:

3 hours ago, Nittenrab said:

Well said Pumphyman, you beat me too it. Good old HibeeJibee must have something against the STUDENTS. By all accounts it looks like West Calder are self destructing. Come on all CLASSMATES sharpen those pencils and get promotion to Division 2.

To be fair he did state "as it stands" and "could well be" 

16 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Indeed... partly as their access to Grangemouth was too limited. Then joined East Juniors, and became tenants at Dunipace.

Incidentally as it stands next season's Third Division could well be:

Bathgate Thistle, Craigroyston, Edinburgh College, Fauldhouse United, Harthill Royal, Hawick Royal Albert, Linton Hotspur, Livingston Utd, Lochgelly Albert, Pumpherston, Stoneyburn

so decent but not outlandishly formidable.

Over last 15yrs most amateur + youth entrants or takeovers have more than held their own anyway... Tynecastle, LTHV and Inverkeithing... Leith and Burntisland... Tweedmouth and Edinburgh South... they're spread right across the divisions.

3 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Totally agree 're Pennies.

Yes the boys that started were struggling but the way that Pennies were brought in was abhorrent. 

Syngenta at youth level always had this air of superiority.

There's no harm in youth setups going adult. As long as they do it properly.

There are examples recently; Gartcairn, St.Cadocs.

Are you sure about that. Someone must be pumping money in just just same. St cadocs paid us a substantial fee for a player if it was just a boys club

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

As it stands

Bathgate Thistle, Craigroyston, West Calder, Fauldhouse United, Harthill Royal, Hawick Royal Albert, Linton Hotspur, Livingston Utd, Lochgelly Albert, Pumpherston, Stoneyburn

3 hours ago, newcastle broon said:

It was also posted before last night's results: at that point West Calder were 1pt behind but with 1 game-in-hand; similarly Ormiston were 3pts behind Craigroyston but with 3 games-in-hand.

Having dropped points yesterday West Calder is probably at a slight disadvantage: their run-in includes Bo'ness Athletic, Armadale and Bathgate, whereas College has Pumpherston, Stoneyburn and Livingston Utd.

Then again on the last day of the season there's a potentially tasty West Calder v Edinburgh College showdown.

Edited by HibeeJibee

34 minutes ago, searchers1963 said:

Are you sure about that. Someone must be pumping money in just just same. St cadocs paid us a substantial fee for a player if it was just a boys club

Oh I know they both have monies. Personally dont see issue with clubs getting injection of funds.

It's how it's used short term and long term.

Gartcairn have a great wee set up at the Sports Centre in Airdrie. St Cadocs I know were looking at Crookfur Park, that's went quiet. Behind the scenes from what I know both are as secure as they can be.

Syngenta as far as I hear were never close to getting a base but kept talking about it, the adult side were never fully an integral part of the club. The same scenario has played out at Rossvale and BSC.

There will aleays be successes and failures. And that's how it should be.

I know we all had a bit of fun at Camelon's expense but if Santa is there for the long haul thats fantastic. If/when he moves on as long as the club are not left high and dry all's good.

2 hours ago, HorseyGhirl said:

St Cadocs I know were looking at Crookfur Park, that's went quiet. Behind the scenes from what I know both are as secure as they can be.

Do they actually have half a chance of getting Crookur? Or will this just turn into another Rossvale, Edinburgh South, Syngenta carry on where they've no chance of laying roots where they claim to come from and just bumble about trashing other teams' parks? 

5 minutes ago, juniorref said:

Is it not only 2 up from the Third Division so the leagues can be brought to 16-16-16-12?

That's what I thought, did think there was something not right there! Had to get the fingers and toes out to make sure I hadn't forgotten anyone 😂

2 minutes ago, juniorref said:

Is it not only 2 up from the Third Division so the leagues can be brought to 16-16-16-12?

Linlithgow promoted with no one replacing them.

image.png.aa513bf71a39a4b196d0e4fe729a80ea.png

Only have to worry about the slight possibility of Brechin City winning promotion, leading to Edinburgh University coming down from the Lowland League.

1 hour ago, Spyro said:

Do they actually have half a chance of getting Crookur? Or will this just turn into another Rossvale, Edinburgh South, Syngenta carry on where they've no chance of laying roots where they claim to come from and just bumble about trashing other teams' parks? 

To be honest the residents nearby are very vocal in their objections. Either just before or after covid Barrhead YFC put forward a proposal to turn Crookfur into their base. I think that's as far as it got.

There's been no word on where St.Cadocs are at in their proposal.