New clubs in the East of Scotland

18 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Not wishing to contradict you but my post did say it was EC Youth who were running Craigie and they'd broken away from FCE

Bridges may be mended in due course though 

Fair enough, I had heard it was FC Edinburgh/Edinburgh City, with an eye on making Craigroyston effectively their reserves (and changing their name)

17 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Fair enough, I had heard it was FC Edinburgh/Edinburgh City, with an eye on making Craigroyston effectively their reserves (and changing their name)

The Edinburgh City Whites amateur side are the remnants of the 2004 teams.  Same coaching staff. 

The Fc Edinburgh / Edinburgh city seniors decided they did not want any of the edinburgh city 2004s / 2005s into the FC edinburgh / edinburgh city u20s when the 2004 side finished under 18s.  So they felt compelled to go amateur.   Couple of the same players but mostly new players came in as in the main, the 2004 boys joined other non Edinburgh city u20s teams.

This cause a further breakdown in relations between the two  (ok, there was nothing left) The boys club felt that they were (correctly as it transpired) a unrelated entity to the senior team that shared their name but no part of the larger group.

The seniors change of name just confirmed this.

The take over of Craigroyston was primarily a vehicle for Edinburgh city boys to have a route forward into u20s and senior football that FC Edinburgh denied them.   

This is something that Edinburgh city youth felt they needed as otherwise lads at 14/15 will play for teams that do.  Like tynecastle, hutchie vale, spartans etc.  Those three are all heavily linked into the boys teams.  

Thats they way it should be, as thats how you get free access to replacement players who have affinity to the badge.

What is the unknown in all this is the effect the total and utter back pedalling of FC Edinburgh / Edinburgh City will have here.

Will there now be relations between the two Edinburgh city's again?  Or will the boys club fold their tend and go the Craigroyston route?

Time will tell......  

It doesn’t matter how many posts I read explain the situation, I still have no idea what’s happening.

It is all an absolute shambles tbh and embarrassing for anyone connected with City (or whatever they are called these days)

4 hours ago, Spyro said:

It doesn’t matter how many posts I read explain the situation, I still have no idea what’s happening.

It is all an absolute shambles tbh and embarrassing for anyone connected with City (or whatever they are called these days)

Yep.  Its a shambles.   

The team calling itself Edinburgh city this season is a rebrand of an EOS team called Postal United.

Its really got hee haw to do with the real Edinburgh City who play out of Forrester's high school / Broomhouse area of Edinburgh.

The 'senior side' has a name that is nothing but a badge of convenience.  They should have stuck with FC Edinburgh.

Sooner they get relegated back out the league the better.

Im as bitter as sour lemons.

Unless of course that the leaders of the boys club have kissed and made up with the imposter senior side in which case I'm really chuffed (who says football fans are a fickle bunch 🙂  )

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:

Craigroyston have added an amateur side under their wing as Edinburgh North of the LEAFA have become Craigroyston AFC.

Ok.  In another example of edinburgh being nuts, Craigroyston boys club play in muirhouse and have very little, if anything to do with Craigroyston seniors who play in trinity.  In fact the boys club is about 100 yards from civil service strollers ground.  

Edinburgh north AFC have played under different names and at a number of locations in North edinburgh over the years as they can be difficult tenants  (allegedly)

In the past few years they have been saughton sounders, lauriston thistle, st bernards and civil service strollers (sundays) They played at craigroyston boys club last season and have been asked (aka telt) if they want to stay there this season, they need to change their name....

So they have.  This one is nothing to do with the Edin city stuff that is ongoing.

I thought there was a St Bernards youth set up that was sort of a continuation of the old 1878 club.

Who knows? It's like comics when I was a lad- Whizzer and Chips merged with Buster which I think had already merged with Whoopee

5 hours ago, oldandround said:

Ok.  In another example of edinburgh being nuts, Craigroyston boys club play in muirhouse and have very little, if anything to do with Craigroyston seniors who play in trinity.  In fact the boys club is about 100 yards from civil service strollers ground.  

Edinburgh north AFC have played under different names and at a number of locations in North edinburgh over the years as they can be difficult tenants  (allegedly)

In the past few years they have been saughton sounders, lauriston thistle, st bernards and civil service strollers (sundays) They played at craigroyston boys club last season and have been asked (aka telt) if they want to stay there this season, they need to change their name....

So they have.  This one is nothing to do with the Edin city stuff that is ongoing.

Are Saughton Sounders gone now!? 

Remember them appearing out of nowhere a few of seasons ago with 3-4 ammy teams straight out the box and a lot of hype but haven't heard much since

23 hours ago, oldandround said:

Also the club playing as Civil Service Strollers in the Sunday amateurs was formerly Silverknowes. They were whipping boys 2 seasons ago when in my teams league, but last season they strengthened significantly, mainly due to having a lot of Edinburgh North boys playing for them. They're now back in my teams league, the Sunday Morning Championship, so curious to see how they look.

17 hours ago, Spyro said:

Are Saughton Sounders gone now!? 

Remember them appearing out of nowhere a few of seasons ago with 3-4 ammy teams straight out the box and a lot of hype but haven't heard much since

They have done. Was only 2 years ago they organised the FNT Summer Cup which many LEAFA teams from Saturday and Sunday participated in. Like you say, they had 3 teams on the go at one point, a Saturday, a Sunday morning and a Sunday afternoon. Ahead of the 2022/23 season though, only the Sunday afternoon team remained as Saughton Sounders. Their Saturday team is/was the aforementioned Edinburgh North while their Sunday morning team rebranded as Broomhall and have just been promoted to the Sunday Morning Premier League. Their Sunday afternoon team however folded during the 22/23 season campaign, meaning they're no more.

Not sure exactly where it all went wrong, but Sean Burt who was heavily involved with them and managed at least one of their teams, got a first team coaching position at Hearts Ladies, so stepped back from Saughton. I believe he's now Eva Olid's assistant manager.

Was fascinated to find out that West Linton had a team, and wish I had known about them during my year staying in nearby Blyth Bridge. Granted that was during Covid so don't know how many games were going on at that point. Gotta add it to my list of borders teams I need to go and see (all of them are currently on the list).

Preparations in West Linton are gearing up. Somebody has bought some wee stickers to adorn the new Football Stadium road signs.

I can tell you for a fact that you won’t be getting lost if you come to a game here. Had you missed the big football stadium looking thing, very visible from the main road as you entered the village, the wee stickers will surely see you right. 

IMG_8045.jpeg