New clubs in the East of Scotland

9 minutes ago, Marten said:

It should be considerably easier to set up than the WoSFL. There are only 17 clubs (and that's assuming that south of line Scone & Tayport join). Obviously, there has to be the provision of accepting amateur applicants, but I highly doubt there will be more than say 2 or 3 (if even that). With those numbers you can easily just rebrand the division and put it as a single division underneath the HL. There could be the potential to then split in 2 divisions to not have too big a gulf in standards, but that can be agreed for the second season or later.

HL seem to be positive to accommodate, there are obviously some hurdles to navigate, but I can't imagine they'd be too difficult.

Thanks - much appreciated. Can we assume that the new league will be operational for the 2021/22 season - covid permitting. I read on another thread that it may take a year to set up and a 2022/23 start may be more realistic.

18 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Thanks - much appreciated. Can we assume that the new league will be operational for the 2021/22 season - covid permitting. I read on another thread that it may take a year to set up and a 2022/23 start may be more realistic.

I hope it can be fully up and running for 2021/22 including promotion. But even if there is no promotion yet, it would be good to get the league set up asap anyway so clubs might be able to work towards licensing. I'm not involved with it myself and I do realise it depends on different parties. Time will tell I suppose.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

It should be considerably easier to set up than the WoSFL. There are only 17 clubs (and that's assuming that south of line Scone & Tayport join). Obviously, there has to be the provision of accepting amateur applicants, but I highly doubt there will be more than say 2 or 3 (if even that). With those numbers you can easily just rebrand the division and put it as a single division underneath the HL. There could be the potential to then split in 2 divisions to not have too big a gulf in standards, but that can be agreed for the second season or later.

HL seem to be positive to accommodate, there are obviously some hurdles to navigate, but I can't imagine they'd be too difficult.

There are a couple of amateurs / new teams meant to be joining the Tayside junior set up next season already (Kirkton, Fintry) and there are suspicions that some of the recent “defections” from Perth / North Fife might come back from the EOS since it might be considerably easier to make progress in the new set up than it is there. 

7 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

There are a couple of amateurs / new teams meant to be joining the Tayside junior set up next season already (Kirkton, Fintry) and there are suspicions that some of the recent “defections” from Perth / North Fife might come back from the EOS since it might be considerably easier to make progress in the new set up than it is there. 

It would be good for the league if a few teams join, I guess a 20 team league can be handled the first season, especially if it's next season and the season starts early as already indicated. If there are more, a conference-style first season might be needed I suppose.

Edited by Marten

9 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

Why would fife or perth teams go into highland feeder

7 minutes ago, Junior_Arab said:

there are suspicions that some of the recent “defections” from Perth / North Fife might come back from the EOS since it might be considerably easier to make progress in the new set up than it is there. 

I might put that in the same category of speculation that took place ahead of the 2019 AGMs when there were people that seemed to think Bo'ness United and Linlithgow Rose were making a comeback.

And in this case only applicable if the Midland League fell under the Lowland League. Even then Jeanfield are already Tier 6 and Kinnoull & Luncarty have probably exceeded some expectations with how well they've performed in the Conferences.

1 hour ago, Junior_Arab said:

Given the wide difference in standard between the current best and worst in the league maybe additional clubs could be attracted to apply if the starting minimum standards for facilities could lowered in the first season or two. This would allow interested clubs time to adjust and to create two divisions quickly.

Even if the top clubs went straight into a potential new combined top division with say the top clubs from the current North Region Juniors more clubs may be needed to make sure the Dundee/Angus division was viable from the start.

Apart from Tayport and Scone Thistle, would ambitious south of Tay Bridge clubs want to join a North of Tay Bridge league feeding into the Highland League let alone return to it? Being south of the Tay Bridge line currently rules out promotion to the Tier 5 Highland League. Would the North Region Juniors accept a south of Tay Bridge club into a Tier 6 division shared with the best of the current North Tayside Juniors?

Edited by Dev

All we need now is some genius on the PWG to say "where a club from south of a line through Dunnottar Castle (56.9460 N) finishes bottom of the Highland League and loses the lower pyramid play-off, they shall be relegated into the Midland League" and watch as this drops Fort William into it...

2 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Probably better in the juniors forum but where would these Kirkton/Fintry  teams be playing? Council pitches?

Kirkton AFC Facebook

News Report ⚽

The committee and management team from Kirkton AFC will  move to take over Downfield Junior Football club from the Start of season 2021 / 2022

More news to follow soon ⚽

Kirkton afc will continue to play in the Saturday morning next season with a new manager and squad so this page will still be active all the best Barry and the lads 💙💛

The above recent posts would suggest that Kirkton AFC will not be an applicant for the ML for next season.

2 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Kirkton AFC Facebook

News Report ⚽

The committee and management team from Kirkton AFC will  move to take over Downfield Junior Football club from the Start of season 2021 / 2022

Kirkton afc will continue to play in the Saturday morning next season with a new manager and squad so this page will still be active all the best Barry and the lads 💙💛

The above recent posts would suggest that Kirkton AFC will not be an applicant for the ML for next season.

That makes sense if they are just taking over Downfield. I suppose Fintry could play out of Fairfield 

21 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Kirkton AFC Facebook

News Report ⚽

Sounds like a name change for Kirkton with an additional team i.e.  teams in both the Saturday Morning League and the equivalent to the current ERJFA Tayside - North Juniors.

Downfield may not be that far away from Licencing standards judging by NLS photos.

Edited by Dev

4 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Been told SJFA are meeting with the LL tonight. Things not worked out with the HL last week?

The east region email statement that appears to have leaked out mentioned the HL meeting went amicably and they had also requested the LL meeting so not a safe assumption on that last bit.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The east region email statement that appears to have leaked out mentioned the HL meeting went amicably and they had also requested the LL meeting so not a safe assumption on that last bit.

See that now. Cheers. Covering all bases I suppose then. Be interested to know the outcome of the Tayside clubs vote last month over their preference in pursuing a path North or South. Anyone any idea?

Personally, I don't think having a Midland league underneath the LL has a realistic chance of happening. But it's fair enough to at least discuss it, so when it comes to a vote between the clubs it's clear what is and isn't possible and they can tell the clubs they tried all avenues. I'm firmly expecting it to ultimately come under the HL.

58 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Been told SJFA are meeting with the LL tonight. Things not worked out with the HL last week?

Hope that they can address the issue of the Tay boundary and the anomaly that would arise if Tayport and Scone Thistle are allowed to compete in a ML feeding into the HL.

A properly reasoned and fair justification would need to be established for Tayport and Scone to be treated as an exception. Their circumstances in my view are very different to Harthill and Luncarty.

Edited by Pyramidic

13 hours ago, Dev said:

Given the wide difference in standard between the current best and worst in the league maybe additional clubs could be attracted to apply if the starting minimum standards for facilities could lowered in the first season or two. This would allow interested clubs time to adjust and to create two divisions quickly.

Even if the top clubs went straight into a potential new combined top division with say the top clubs from the current North Region Juniors more clubs may be needed to make sure the Dundee/Angus division was viable from the start.

Apart from Tayport and Scone Thistle, would ambitious south of Tay Bridge clubs want to join a North of Tay Bridge league feeding into the Highland League let alone return to it? Being south of the Tay Bridge line currently rules out promotion to the Tier 5 Highland League. Would the North Region Juniors accept a south of Tay Bridge club into a Tier 6 division shared with the best of the current North Tayside Juniors?

It's not ruled out, the line officially only applies to relegation from the SPFL. If the HL accepts the Midland League as a feeder, there is no reason why a south of Tay club like Tayport couldn't end up in the HL if they win the ML as a licensed club and then win a promotion play-off. The Highland League doesn't restrict membership of the league to a certain area in their constitution (neither does the LL), so Tayport could get up to the HL in theory.

Obviously there is the scope for boundaries between the EOS and ML and between the HL and LL (for more than just SPFL relegated teams), but for that a new agreement between the relevant parties is needed, which is not in place now.

15 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Hope that they can address the issue of the Tay boundary and the anomaly that would arise if Tayport and Scone Thistle are allowed to compete in a ML feeding into the HL.

A properly reasoned and fair justification would need to be established for Tayport and Scone to be treated as an exception. Their circumstances in my view are very different to Harthill and Luncarty.

How exactly can you see Harthill and Luncarty as an exception but not Tayport? The line of latitude runs through part of the town/village, just like Luncarty. The ground happens to be the wrong side of for their preference of feeder league ifthe Midland goes Highland.

The only difference is that if Tayport chose to remain with Tayside teams, they'd be the only one of the three to stick with traditional rivals.