2017/18 League Cup

craigkillie

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

We're overdue another roasting-hot-day-and-everybody's-blootered (with millions of goals) type trip to Stranraer.

Make it so.

Berwick is even longer overdue though. Especially since we've had them at Cappielow in cups three times since we were last there.

It's worth saying that although the SPFL schedule has dates Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat, last season the midweeks were actually scheduled for Tuesdays.

Aside from the alteration of the playing order in the Motherwell & Rangers group, last season these were the exceptions in the schedule:

Due to TV coverage
Arbroath v Dundee Utd on Friday 15th July
East Stirlingshire v Rangers on Friday 22nd July
Rangers v Stranraer on Monday 25th July
Dundee Utd v Dunfermline on Sunday 31st July
(Motherwell v Rangers and St Johnstone v Falkirk were also shown on Saturdays)

Other reasons
Airdrie v Partick on Friday 15th July ... to avoid clashing with Motherwell v Rangers :lol:
Cove v Raith on Friday 15th July ... groundsharing with Forfar who were also at home
Edinburgh City v Livingston on Wednesday 20th July ... Meadowbank used for athletics on Tuesdays
Cove v Montrose on Wednesday 27th July ... groundsharing with Forfar who were also at home
Edinburgh City v Hamilton ... Meadowbank used for athletics on Tuesdays
Arbroath v Cowdenbeath on Wednesday 27th July ... ??

Originally both Inverness and Ross County had one of their Saturday games delayed onto Sunday to avoid clashes of stewarding pools - and this meant Alloa v Ross County being scheduled for a Wednesday (i.e. so they didn't have 2 games in 3 days) - but with large crowds not expected they reverted to Saturdays and Tuesdays.

Anyone remember why Arbroath v Cowdenbeath was adjusted?

Anyway with City moving to Ainslie Park and Cove not qualifying most of those exceptions have disappeared.

12 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Other reasons
Airdrie v Partick on Friday 15th July ... to avoid clashing with Motherwell v Rangers :lol:

That's not accurate. Our clash with Airdrie was moved simply because the two clubs agreed it between themselves. There was no policing/stewarding/logistical issue with the game to be played on the Saturday, the clubs just arranged between themselves to make it the Friday night. 

17 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I know but I thought the reason was to avoid clashing with the 'big' game the next day in order to encourage home fans in particular? Sure I read that. If I dreamt it then my apologies.

I'm not sure what the motive from Airdrie's perspective, maybe they were hoping to attract more neutrals with it being the only game on in the central belt, but it suited Thistle to play it and we've developed a habit of playing cup games on Friday nights(see St Mirren in the Scottish Cup in 2015/16)

I don't think there was ever a clarified reason(saying it's moved because of x) which led to speculation from supporters of both sides. 

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's worth saying that although the SPFL schedule has dates Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed-Sat, last season the midweeks were actually scheduled for Tuesdays.

Aside from the alteration of the playing order in the Motherwell & Rangers group, last season these were the exceptions in the schedule:

Due to TV coverage
Arbroath v Dundee Utd on Friday 15th July
East Stirlingshire v Rangers on Friday 22nd July
Rangers v Stranraer on Monday 25th July
Dundee Utd v Dunfermline on Sunday 31st July
(Motherwell v Rangers and St Johnstone v Falkirk were also shown on Saturdays)

Other reasons
Cove v Raith on Friday 15th July ... groundsharing with Forfar who were also at home
Edinburgh City v Livingston on Wednesday 20th July ... Meadowbank used for athletics on Tuesdays
Cove v Montrose on Wednesday 27th July ... groundsharing with Forfar who were also at home
Edinburgh City v Hamilton ... Meadowbank used for athletics on Tuesdays
Arbroath v Cowdenbeath on Wednesday 27th July ... ??

Originally both Inverness and Ross County had one of their Saturday games delayed onto Sunday to avoid clashes of stewarding pools - and this meant Alloa v Ross County being scheduled for a Wednesday (i.e. so they didn't have 2 games in 3 days) - but with large crowds not expected they reverted to Saturdays and Tuesdays.

Anyone remember why Arbroath v Cowdenbeath was adjusted?

Anyway with City moving to Ainslie Park and Cove not qualifying most of those exceptions have disappeared.

Arbroath always play midweek home games on a Wednesday.

Archived