East Kilbride v Cowdenbeath. 2nd Division play-off

1 hour ago, Cowden316 said:

Better speak to the chairman on his views of LL too then

Andy I am ambitious for this football club but if you are happy to settle for utter garbage on a Saturday going into the gunner for a pint then I am doing a runner as if the atmosphere of EK who are a good outfit is anything to go by it doesn't appeal to me. 

If we do drop yes you have to make the most of it but I fear fans ambitions will go and I for one will lose interest as the club won't be able to sustain a future in the LL due to the costs we have at CP

Scott i'm not happy to settle for utter "garbage" I was just trying to educate you about the background of the Lowland League and it's grounds (The Gunner thing was a piss take by the way its one of the most notorious pubs in Edinburgh, google it:P I don't even drink anyway).

Your luck enough to have started going to games when we were on what would have been our high of the modern era, i've been at and seen many of the lows which preceded the Championship years, Hemmings, Stewart etc.

No  one wants to go into the Lowland League we all know the implications of dropping down, i'm lucky or unlucky enough to be a shareholder and know how much it takes us to keep going.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

If the purpose was to cobble together a feeder league for the pyramid structure then yes I suppose it does meet that purpose.

However, the way it's fast tracked a bunch of boys clubs and no marks to within 1 level of the SPFL is an utter farce. I have no problem with clubs like spartans, Edinburgh city etc but clubs with literally no fan base or traditional like Cumbernauld Colts, BSC Glasgow, Edusport, East Kilbride chucked in with no real attempt to include junior clubs is a shambles.

Edinburgh City are a league club mate.

When you say "clubs like Cumbernauld Colts, BSC Glasgow, Edusport, East Kilbride" you've actually named them all, there are no more "like" them. I must admit Edusport replacing a traditional club like Preston is a blow.

That leaves 12, or 10 if you take away the 2 Uni teams. But Edinburgh Uni are as near to a traditional club as you can get tbh. 

1 minute ago, cowdenbeath said:

Scott i'm not happy to settle for utter "garbage" I was just trying to educate you about the background of the Lowland League and it's grounds (The Gunner thing was a piss take by the way its one of the most notorious pubs in Edinburgh, google it:P I don't even drink anyway).

Your luck enough to have started going to games when we were on what would have been our high of the modern era, i've been at and seen many of the lows which preceded the Championship years, Hemmings, Stewart etc.

No  one wants to go into the Lowland League we all know the implications of dropping down, i'm lucky or unlucky enough to be a shareholder and know how much it takes us to keep going.

Guys like you are admirable Andy for the club

The gunners good job its now closed then

If the worst happens maybe we will romp the LL and enjoy a season back to the SPFL but I fear it will take the club back years and we might never recover 

Just now, Cowden316 said:

Guys like you are admirable Andy for the club

The gunners good job its now closed then

If the worst happens maybe we will romp the LL and enjoy a season back to the SPFL but I fear it will take the club back years and we might never recover 

As I said 316 I was just trying to educate you earlier:lol: Its a big 90 minutes on Saturday and hopefully we will come out the right end, if the worse comes to the worse we will just have to grin and bare it and rebuild which would obviously be hard.

Its at times like this everyone needs to stick together and work and get behind the club.

As for the Gunner someone once told me the bit about Renton in the bog in the 1st Trainspotting film was meant to be in the Gunner, don't know if its true or a load of pish:lol:

2 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

As I said 316 I was just trying to educate you earlier:lol: Its a big 90 minutes on Saturday and hopefully we will come out the right end, if the worse comes to the worse we will just have to grin and bare it and rebuild which would obviously be hard.

Its at times like this everyone needs to stick together and work and get behind the club.

As for the Gunner someone once told me the bit about Renton in the bog in the 1st Trainspotting film was meant to be in the Gunner, don't know if its true or a load of pish:lol:

Back in the day I played an amateur game at West Pilton Circus. You had wifies with arms like Popeye leaning on the windowsills. At ten to three the locals came out the Gunner and stood along the touchline trying to trip up the players. Our ref got dog's abuse then he sent off a home player and then made an excuse about the ball being burst and abandoned the game. We just got in the cars without getting changed :lol:

12 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Absolutely Andy it's times like this the true supporters continue to back the club

Hopefully we do it on Saturday and if we don't as hard as it will be we will have to stick together and continue fundraising efforts as the goal in all of this is to ensure a sustainable bright future for the club maintaining its history at the heart of the community for decades to come.

The gunner story is probably true

The bog scene was filmed at the bookies on pennywell road. Not far from the gunner. Not there now tho. Pulled down few years ago.

Just now, johnmc80 said:

The bog scene was filmed at the bookies on pennywell road. Not far from the gunner. Not there now tho. Pulled down few years ago.

I was meaning it was supposed to be the Gunner rather than being filmed there.

43 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I'm not trolling, if Pele is on about the fact it's an artificial pitch then it's just not an excuse anymore.

5-10 years ago you could maybe use it as one, but now? Players play on it all the time, well used to playing on the stuff.

Surely you agree?

Blaming everything and anything on anyone but the players won't help and probably hasn't helped.

I'd agree about the older artificial pitches. I've had both knees wrecked by playing on them even although everyone st the time thought they were wonderful. Even now all the artificial pitches aren't the same ( Montrose and Forfar for example) If it was me I'd always prefer a grass pitch.

I'm not sure "blaming" players half way through a playoff is such a good idea. 

If we cannot beat EK at home we will have to live with it. Then we can start the blame game.

Should never have been in this position anyway.

All this Gunner talk and yous are all forgetting the Strollers have bar facilities within their ground,  probably one of the cheapest on the LL circuit as well as the best pies so there just isn't really any need to be looking elsewhere for refreshments to be fair :guinness:chef:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Muzza81 said:

No two grass pitches at this level play the same either. Our players will regualrly play on pitches identical to EK's one so that's not really a valid excuse.

And for what it's worth the Lowland League is excellent. It serves the exact purpose it is meant to - I'm not really sure what slagging it is meant to achieve or what people think the league should be like.

This. We can't sit and complain when other leagues ie England slate us for our set-up up here, when the upper tiers of our very game slate the lower tiers in exactly the same way. Trickle down snobbery.

57 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I'm not trolling, if Pele is on about the fact it's an artificial pitch then it's just not an excuse anymore.

5-10 years ago you could maybe use it as one, but now? Players play on it all the time, well used to playing on the stuff.

Surely you agree?

Blaming everything and anything on anyone but the players won't help and probably hasn't helped.

That wasn't my point.

With the exception of a handful of players, we were awful yesterday. We haven't been that bad under Locke.

Sure they should have no problem on a plastic pitch. However, K-Park is not like a league ground with a plastic pitch. It is a training ground and I think some of our players subconsciously treated it like a training game and couldn't snap out of that mentality. EK were far more alert and up for the game.

I also think some of our players had a shock to their system and suddenly realised that this might be the future for them. No disrespect to EK, as it is a smart little ground, but it was like a big step down going from league grounds to a training park (and I know this isn't a typical non league ground). I think some of the players were shell shocked.

I also think our line up and tactics were wrong. I would have started with Buchanan and brought Muirhead on later for Renton. It was perfect for getting the ball on the ground and running at EK, not hoofing balls to Renton! Carrick needs the ball on the ground and players like Buchanan, Moore, Muirhead and Rooney around him.

Guest TOPFITTER

Well travelled to the "K PARK" yesterday as a neutral courtesy of a friends invitation and was pleasantly surprised, EK definitely did the Lowland League proud as they were the Equal of their SPFL visitors.

Had Cowdenbeath taken their chances in the first 10 minutes the tie could have been over, however EK weathered the storm grew into the game and bossed the rest of the half but themselves failed to find a finish. Second period EK continued to look the better but as Cowden realised they were starting to match and sometimes threaten EK a belief seemed to return and the game probably rightly finished 0-0. Jao Victoria, Winter and McNeil  EK's biggest dangers, for Cowden, Rumsby and his defense most able, Renton up front an impostor of a centre forward, has the presence but appears not that arsed if he uses it or not.

So keenly set up for the second leg, one that is hard to call, a newly confident Cowden if they manage to keep the EK attack at bay could edge it but EK a team looking to make the right kind of history with a goal scoring threat might just pull it off.

Which part of Central Park is best to avoid the Roasters of the Cowden support's pathetic loud mouthed comments or at least avoid the worst of the volume??? ;)

8 minutes ago, TOPFITTER said:

Which part of Central Park is best to avoid the Roasters of the Cowden support's pathetic loud mouthed comments or at least avoid the worst of the volume??? ;)

Nowhere. The accoustics are fantastic.

Guest TOPFITTER
1 minute ago, HenryHill said:

Nowhere. The accoustics are fantastic.

Thanks for that, earphones and radio on then ;)

Some of the stuff being trotted-out above is nonsense. There are no "public parks" in LL... indeed there is only 1 in EOSL now at Peebles (and it's an ex-SFL ground!). All of the clubs except 1 have seated stands; all of the clubs except 4 have floodlights; every one has cover, hardstanding, toilets and so on.

As pointed-out several of them are actually SPFL grounds. Others such as Spartans, Gala, Hawick and Gretna are little different.

East Stirlingshire did finish 2nd and scored over 100 goals. They also failed to win one-third of their league games and didn't reach either of the cup finals they were targeting.

Archived