The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

But for the 93rd minute equaliser last midweek that would have been 5 top division wins in a row.

In my 46 years of watching Saints that's something I can't recall us achieving. 

When Dargo scored the last goal at Love St that was 4 wins in a row, maybe @billyg or @ZingaliMan who have been following us for longer than me can recall 5 in a row?

But for the 93rd minute equaliser last midweek that would have been 5 top division wins in a row.
When Dargo scored the last goal at Love St that was 4 wins in a row, maybe [mention=61]billyg[/mention] or [mention=79550]ZingaliMan[/mention] who have been following us for longer than me can recall 5 in a row?

It’s very ‘if your auntie had baws…’, but had we held on against Motherwell we’d be in fourth, 9 points behind Hearts with a game in hand against Dundee.

To Lex’s point, the nature of the league this season seems to be that finishing anywhere from 4th to 10th is realistic (so much for last season’s mega hue being our best chance at top six…). There’s nothing to fear from the sides around us, particularly the ‘big’ clubs like Aberdeen and Hibs - if we can add a few more goals to our play, it could be some finish to the season…

26 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

When Dargo scored the last goal at Love St that was 4 wins in a row, maybe @billyg or @ZingaliMan who have been following us for longer than me can recall 5 in a row?

We managed two blocks of 4 wins in top league in 80/81.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Prog_Season.php?season=1980

Had it not been for this rearranged game we would have had 7 consecutive wins in the league.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198104150

30 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I can't recall 5 in a row in the top league. We've done 4 on a few occasions. In 68/69 we opened with 11 unbeaten , and after Xmas had 4 wins in a row followed by a win in the SC !

6 hours ago, Officer Michaels said:

That squad beats this squad. Probably 5-0.

Alnwick

Van Zanten, Shaughnessy, Dunne, Dummett

McGinn, Goodwin, Ronan

Teale, Thommo, Isma

Bench- Samson, Cheesy, Tanser, McLean, McGowan, Kiltie, Brophy

My 2013/now select. Thing is, we have a much better manager now so will finish higher in the league than that team ever did.

12 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Has Peter Urminsky been recalled by St Mirren? I notice he was on the bench for the team during last night's match with St Johnstone. There's been no communication from Stenhousemuir to say he's officially returned to Paisley.

Think it's a development loan so we're allowed to if Stenny don't have a game?

Lyness picked up a knock apparently in training which was why Urminsky was needed last night.

I'd imagine he'll be available for Stenny again on Saturday though.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Lyness picked up a knock apparently in training which was why Urminsky was needed last night.

Thank God. Thank God!

9 hours ago, Officer Michaels said:

That squad beats this squad. Probably 5-0.

Don't know about the 5-0 part, we haven't beaten anyone in the league by more than one goal all season 😅

The 2013 team had better players. Dummett, McGinn and McLean all went on to be established at EPL level and capped for their country. Teale and Thompson were also internationals with EPL experience who had some of their best years with us. 

We clearly have a better team now though, with worse players. Which is because of the manager. 

45 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

I haven't seen the highlights of the Annan game but know he saved a penalty. How was he otherwise?

Unorthodox. I wasn't down at Galabank but I was there for his debut against Elgin City and he was slapping at crosses and letting routine shots bounce out off his chest. He did apparently do a lot better against Annan Athletic and made some impressive saves, including the penalty, but still looked a little erratic at times.

He has, however, become a bit of a cult hero amongst the Stenny support. After the Elgin game, he was high-fiving the home fans as they were leaving the ground. He really seems like an endearing big guy.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

It depends on Alnwick's wellbeing. He clearly was in some discomfort last night and given the opposition on Saturday if there were any doubts around him it's possible he might be given a game out to recover.

Greive has really surprised me. When you pick up a striker from amateur football you’re expecting a bit of talent, maybe a decent shot on him. You’re also expecting raw, erratic and not tactically disciplined. He doesn’t play like that at all.
What our system needs from the striker is a lot of back to goal play. We need him to hold the ball up and lay it off to the wide players, to draw fouls and get us up the pitch and generally be a pain in the arse for defenders. The kind of hard work you’re not expecting an amateur to be good at.
He’s excelled at that in the last two games. He’s actually been involved in the last three goals. Its him pressing JDH initially that causes him to turn into Ronan against Hibs. It’s him that’s backing into the defender and (em) winning the penalty last night, and it’s him holding the ball up, laying it off, then continuing his run into the box to tap it in and win the game. He plays like an experienced professional and I hope we are already thinking of offering contract extension - although I don’t think he’ll sign it.
Given his performances I assume we are now out of the free agent market for a striker, good. Brophy is back in a few weeks, I’m not sure he will get back in the team.

Sadly that's me chucked SMISA been a member from day one when it first started up. Semi retired now with the cost of living going to rise substantially the time has come job done club now in fan ownership.  Great win last night put a wee step in the fans foot. Can't make the cup game but will make the trip to Livingston oh if we can win that one. 

A discussion I had with a mate, when our otherwise scintillating conversation hit the buffers - assuming both were in their prime years, who would you take back to the SMiSA DinkyDome? Jamie McGrath, or Andy Dorman.

I’d take Dorman. Opinions, opinions.