The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Until Celtic stopped trying, Killie were dreadful. We put up ten times the fight against Sevco than Killie were doing against the green arse cheek. We really need to put them to the sword at home on Saturday, if we don’t, and the other results actually conspire against us, then we’ll deserve everything we get. I’m confident we won’t fcuk this up. Not this team, not this time. Play our usual home game, don’t switch off in defence like we did at Sevco Central, and we’ll win. No time for the usual ‘ach but this is St Mirren you know’… get intae’ them from the off.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Until Celtic stopped trying, Killie were dreadful. We put up ten times the fight against Sevco than Killie were doing against the green arse cheek. We really need to put them to the sword at home on Saturday, if we don’t, and the other results actually conspire against us, then we’ll deserve everything we get. I’m confident we won’t fcuk this up. Not this team, not this time. Play our usual home game, don’t switch off in defence like we did at Sevco Central, and we’ll win. No time for the usual ‘ach but this is St Mirren you know’… get intae’ them from the off.

Pretty much this, there's a reason we're 16 points ahead of Killie, plus we're at home, everything is lined up in our favour,

on the other hand. Charlie Brown Football GIF

Hopefully we start well on Saturday and get an early goal, if we do I think the Killie heads will go down.

As an aside, one thing that really sticks out is the players who have played for Robbo before and wanted to again. He seems to get the best out of them and they play their best football under him; Watt, OHara, Main, Carson, added to all the comments about it being the best dressing room others have been part of.

We need to be in and at them from early doors. No pissing about, no room for nerves.

We need to treat it as you should treat a fixture vs a team that has taken two points on their travels all season. Agreed, none of this 'aye but you know what we're like' shite. 

The top six finish in and of itself is secondary in importance here - if we were scrambling for the last place in the top six with no real prospect of finishing anything other than sixth, this would be a bit of a 'so what' for me if I'm honest but the fact that any one of the three European slots are a very realistic possibility to us means we need to get in at the right end of the table for once.

It's a really massive opportunity, we haven't qualified for Europe by virtue of our league performance since 1984/85 got us into the 85/86 UEFA Cup.

2 hours ago, elvis said:

We will get fucked next week  it's what we do best a team with no away wins you can see it coming a mile away .Come on Utd.

In comparative terms by our own very low standards of the past 35 or so years, these are without doubt the good times.

So serious question,  why can't you enjoy them a wee bit for what they are when they come around?

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

We need to be in and at them from early doors. No pissing about, no room for nerves.

We need to treat it as you should treat a fixture vs a team that has taken two points on their travels all season. Agreed, none of this 'aye but you know what we're like' shite. 

The top six finish in and of itself is secondary in importance here - if we were scrambling for the last place in the top six with no real prospect of finishing anything other than sixth, this would be a bit of a 'so what' for me if I'm honest but the fact that any one of the three European slots are a very realistic possibility to us means we need to get in at the right end of the table for once.

It's a really massive opportunity, we haven't qualified for Europe by virtue of our league performance since 1984/85 got us into the 85/86 UEFA Cup.

All very sensible. Problem is the anxiety over this top six thing is brewing for a a few very good reasons, most notably the fucking game at Accies a couple years back. 

The reason we shouldn't be anxious is that this is a very, very different St Mirren team. The mentality, the approach, it's all incredible. If this was behind closed doors, we'd blow Killie away. Danger is the crowd anxiety creeps onto the pitch. Folk can argue all day about whether that should affect players, but it does. So if I'm Killie I'm trying to do what we did to Hearts - get under their skin and let the crowd get twisty.

Fucking hell, man, I've said the knot in my stomach has gone this season but this week it's gonna be back in a big way. If I'm entirely honest, I've sort-of missed it 👀

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

In comparative terms by our own very low standards of the past 35 or so years, these are without doubt the good times.

So serious question,  why can't you enjoy them a wee bit for what they are when they come around?

I enjoy every win we get but over the years the pessimist in me is waiting on the boot in the balls we seem to get every time there is a game we need to get a result in.

1 minute ago, elvis said:

I enjoy every win we get but over the years the pessimist in me is waiting on the boot in the balls we seem to get every time there is a game we need to get a result in.

There's no point in waiting on it. It will happen eventually. It always does, so when we're on a relative high, it's best to enjoy rather than tense up and worry about the downfall.

Make hay while the sun shines and all that.

Can't believe I'm getting this wound up over the prospect of getting in the top six. It's just been too long since we did anything at all in the top league.

I've been getting a horrible feeling since the results at the weekend ... I'm wrong on most things so hope I am on this, too!

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Even if we fail to make top 6 this is still the best season in ages. Robbo is the business. Imagine what we would be like with a bigger budget

Utd thought that, after their high finish last year and the European money that came with it - it has not turned out well for them this season.

The Dons also spent a packet and have had a really mixed season for their budget.

Yes I too think Robbo and Co are doing a fab job, but it's not that simple that it's almost guaranteed. 

We are in the safest hands we've had for a very long time, but good players can get injured, not work out for some reason and the good ones we lose have big shoes to fill.

Team know the top 6 prize is ours for the taking. Will they be up for it - guaranteed.  So as long as bad luck or players don't do daft stuff - we will grab it.

Killie are a poor side -worst defence - get right into them.

The alex Ferguson years were great but so we're Alex Wright years , we sat third behind the old firm for most of the season finishing 5th if my memory is right without looking it up . So who has been following the buds as long as I have. Billy G  Neil Kennedy who else ? 

5 minutes ago, medals said:

The Dons also spent a packet and have had a really mixed season for their budget.

Hard to agree with that.

They've spent about a million quid between Duk, Miovski and Ramadani.

They'll make at least 8x their outlay between those three when they sell them on and have hit form at just the right time. Yeah not every signing has been a hit - it never is but most of the bigger money spends are going to return for them.

I haven't seen anything about away tickets for this one yet - is this just Killie not sharing info (most likely), or are Saints a bit slow off the mark in making them available.

Fancy us to get something on Saturday, feel we were the better team in both the 0-0 draws (obviously the Rugby Park one hugely impacted by the early red card), and McInnes has always seemed to be a manager who takes himself to the brink of total failure before getting a result from nowhere.

Edited by craigkillie

8 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I'm presuming you weren't reading any Hearts threads in January/February this year.