The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I said the same thing earlier in the thread, Middlesbrough - and Hemming - are not going arrange a loan deal for him to sit on the bench. He's been brought in as first choice. 

It's possible that we sign another keeper but I'd doubt it'll be experienced player who waltzes straight into the starting 11.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Can we afford to go a whole season with two rookie keepers. Not for me we can’t. 

We went into season 78/79 with two rookie keepers

The oldest was 20 with 1 league appearance, the other was 17 with zero league appearances.

They both turned out okay…….

5 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

I said the same thing earlier in the thread, Middlesbrough - and Hemming - are not going arrange a loan deal for him to sit on the bench. He's been brought in as first choice. 

It's possible that we sign another keeper but I'd doubt it'll be experienced player who waltzes straight into the starting 11.

He'll start the season as first choice. If he underperforms then he'll either sit on the bench or be sent down the road regardless of Middlesbrough's or Hemming's expectations.

We are not at Middlesbrough or Zach Hemming's behest to play him every week if he is not performing but he will have the chance to establish himself between now and the end of August when the window closes.

This is why I don't like loan deals particularly.  This shite of 'you must play him x amount of games' nonsense. Boro had it written into Coulsen's loan deal as well and he was binned down the road in about 8 weeks.

Edited by djchapsticks

At least the club have now said what is happening. Not a great situation but the sooner he leaves the better. 

We have until the end of August till the window closes. Hemming has the chance to prove himself until then. 

18 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The manager rightly not disclosing any kind of fallout, as it could possibly have an adverse effect on moving him on. 
Let’s hope we get shot of him quickly  and for a decent fee, then get someone like Hladky to replace him.

He was fab last season but 35 now and a year older.

If we get money for him and he's away quickly then that's good. There is no need for ill feeling in a squad that often talks about the amazing atmosphere they enjoy.

I don't doubt for a minute another GK will come in if he goes.

silly boy at his age to go in a huff and not back down.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

He'll start the season as first choice. If he underperforms then he'll either sit on the bench or be sent down the road regardless of Middlesbrough's or Hemming's expectations.

We are not at Middlesbrough or Zach Hemming's behest to play him every week if he is not performing but he will have the chance to establish himself between now and the end of August when the window closes.

This is why I don't like loan deals particularly.  This shite of 'you must play him x amount of games' nonsense. Boro had it written into Coulsen's loan deal as well and he was binned down the road in about 8 weeks.

Agreed. 

I'd be astounded if Robinson had agreed to any kind of deal that required him to play anyone. He doesn't strike me as someone who would humour that.

If he's rotten he'll get binned but I don't think he will be.

I also don't think he'll be as good as any of our previous 3 keepers, which will give give us all the opportunity to moan about the signing. 

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Agreed. 

I'd be astounded if Robinson had agreed to any kind of deal that required him to play anyone. He doesn't strike me as someone who would humour that.

If he's rotten he'll get binned but I don't think he will be.

I also don't think he'll be as good as any of our previous 3 keepers, which will give give us all the opportunity to moan about the signing. 

We've set ridiculous levels in the last 5 seasons in the goalkeeping department by our own standards. 3 straight home runs.

I honestly don't forsee a situation where we know a guy like Hladky is now not even going to make Ipswich's bench next season and we don't at least ask the question. I know that we did before Carson came on board!

The biggest issue aside from the obvious wages though is that it would need to be permanent. I definitely don't think we'd entertain two loaned goalies.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

We've set ridiculous levels in the last 5 seasons in the goalkeeping department by our own standards. 3 straight home runs.

I honestly don't forsee a situation where we know a guy like Hladky is now not even going to make Ipswich's bench next season and we don't at least ask the question. I know that we did before Carson came on board!

The biggest issue aside from the obvious wages though is that it would need to be permanent. I definitely don't think we'd entertain two loaned goalies.

I just can't see Hladky coming back. He'll be on a decent wedge there which we'll be miles off. I reckon he's more likely to stay down south. 

There are loads of good keepers out there.

Ok many are tied up, but a lot are not.

Given Foyle and SR have known about this for 3 months and already brought in Hemming as a 1st step, you'd have to believe that we have been looking at others anyway.

Now that it's clear there's no going back, and once Carson goes, then it's time to bring in cover and competition and let Peter go out on loan for games too as he's not getting much chance with us..

Hladky may or may not make the bench next season but clubs the size of Ipswich carry 3 keepers.

And Slicker is a young keeper, there’s no guarantee he’ll automatically be number 2.

And even as a number 3, Hladky will be on far more at Ipswich than we would pay and in a nice area of England. 

I think we can forget Hladky IMO

Would Joe Lewis be a realistic option now he’s left Aberdeen? Or have they binned him because his fork has gone?

At the moment I’m more concerned about where Robinson is planning to use McMenamin.

Certainly seems like the rumours of a fallout are spot on then regardless of what is being said in public.

Nobody bigger than the club and all that so best for all parties if TC moves on and does so as soon as possible.

Im not prepared to write off Hemming at this stage, same as you can’t totally discount Urminsky on the basis of a single game even if it was a very jittery performance, but I will be slightly terrified if we start the league season with those two as our only options. 

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Would Joe Lewis be a realistic option now he’s left Aberdeen? Or have they binned him because his fork has gone?

Hes trying to become an agent and is prioritising that over playing.

The wording he used suggested, to me so maybe wrong, he'd be moving back to England and trying to find a lower league side/part time side, and if he doesn't he'll just retire.

I noticed Robinson mentioned in his pre match interview that “we’ll tweak it slightly” just after the mention of formations.

He then goes on to talk about more forward options now that we didn’t have last season

I wouldn’t be surprised if we switch to 3-4-3 this season (which can be 5-4-1 when defending) while reverting to 3-5-2 in certain games.

I can’t see us signing McMenamin and then not playing him in the position he’s used to, on the wing. 

I wonder if we’ll see that sort of line up today, with maybe Kiltie playing wide on the other side and Mandron through the middle? 

Well at least we've got some clarity, however the most worrisome comment from Robinson is this one..

“We’ve signed a goalkeeper who I am very happy with and who will do very well for us."

Edit: I know, it's paper speak, he's obviously not going to play down the lad, and keepers rely on confidence so saying that sort of thing will only help, but to me, Hemming is Olusanya between the sticks.

Edited by Ric

Just now, Ric said:

Well at least we've got some clarity, however the most worrisome comment from Robinson is this one..

“We’ve signed a goalkeeper who I am very happy with and who will do very well for us."

A worrisome comment would have been

”We’ve signed a keeper who I’m very unhappy with and who will be hopeless” 😆😜

3 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

A worrisome comment would have been

”We’ve signed a keeper who I’m very unhappy with and who will be hopeless” 😆😜

Yeah, I added to my previous post.

You are of course right, and every keeper benefits from positive words. Interestingly he just says "he'll do very well for us" not that "he will be a direct replacement".

The biggest thing here is clarity, imo, having this rumble on in the dark wasn't doing anyone any good as we all know something was going on, just not what. The biggest thing is, if he wants to leave, he can leave, he just can't leave to a rival. He can train with the youth if he tries to push that through.

Edited by Ric