The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Jordan Marshall has a cracking engine and cross on him but not a chance is he top flight quality, even as a back-up. I quite liked him at Dundee but he's extremely weak defensively to the point of being a liability and his attacking attributes aren't good enough to make up for that. 

A very average Championship level LB. Strapp would be a superior signing if you had to go for one.

Very odd that the booming diagonal (out the park although I get that isn't the intention) appears to have been an actually planned tactic in both away games yet at home to Arbroath we reverted to playing some decent football. I can't get my head round that at all especially given the level of opposition and then there is the persisting with it after it ended out the park the first half dozen times. 

18 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Very odd that the booming diagonal (out the park although I get that isn't the intention) appears to have been an actually planned tactic in both away games yet at home to Arbroath we reverted to playing some decent football. I can't get my head round that at all especially given the level of opposition and then there is the persisting with it after it ended out the park the first half dozen times. 

How do you know that the ball going out the park isn’t intentional?

I remember when we used to use this tactic from kick offs under Gus MacP and Billy Mehmet ran down the wing at kick off but the ball always went out. I was at an agm where a supporter asked why we did this if the ball always went out.

Gus answered that the whole point was to put the ball out and Mehmet was to stop them taking a quick throw. It allowed us to get the ball into their half, get players forward and put them under pressure..

Rugby tactic! 

No problems with Gallacher going to United, seems like Dundee is the destination for our ex-defenders. What I find odd is that Goodwin clearly thought Gallacher wasn't good enough for the Premiership with Aberdeen as he shipped him out early, and for little money, now the role is reversed and we are shipping him back to a Goodwin side for little money.

54 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Dunne tried it a few times on Saturday and Robinson did his dinger. Unsure if it was because of poor quality, or because he wasn’t meant to be doing it.

1 hour ago, aldo_j said:

Dunne tried it a few times on Saturday and Robinson did his dinger. Unsure if it was because of poor quality, or because he wasn’t meant to be doing it.

I was sat right behind Robbo at Montrose and he didn't really react to the umpteen misplaced diagonals which baffled me at the time. He did get animated though when Dunne and Gallagher were tippy tappy between each other as the second half progressed which suggested to me the instructions had been to get the ball forward quickly. It's the total change in tactics at home from that style which is baffling. 

If we can beat Forfar and win the group then we'll be unseeded so fairly likely we'll get a tough tie in round 2: 25% chance it'll be Old Firm.

Still, if all Olusanya contributes this season is that Cowdenbeath goal then it could prove to be very valuable. Killie got to Hampden last year after coming out of the group stage unseeded.

1 minute ago, Buttocks Brown said:

If we can beat Forfar and win the group then we'll be unseeded so fairly likely we'll get a tough tie in round 2: 25% chance it'll be Old Firm.

Still, if all Olusanya contributes this season is that Cowdenbeath goal then it could prove to be very valuable. Killie got to Hampden last year after coming out of the group stage unseeded.

If we beat Forfar surely we will be seeded?

Thought I'd have a look at the squad and look at all our current options for positions in the 3-5-2. I might be pushing it a bit with some of them but see what you think. Players listed in no particular order. 

GK
Hemming
Carson
Urminsky

RWB
Strain
Fraser
Bolton
O'Hara
Flynn

LWB
Tanser
Sutherland
R Taylor
McMenamin

CB
Dunne
Gogic
Fraser
R Taylor
Bolton
O'Hara (?!)
Kenny

DM
Gogic
O'Hara
Baccus
Flynn

CM
Baccus
O'Hara
Kiltie
CBM
F Taylor

ST
Nahmani
Mandron
McMenamin
Ayunga
Greive
Olusanya
Offord
Jamieson

1 minute ago, medals said:

If we beat Forfar surely we will be seeded?

No chance 9pts will be enough to be seeded.

There are only 3 seeded places up for grabs and it looks pretty likely that Airdrie and Ross County will take two of those with perfect 12 point records.

Some of the other groups will have 11pt winners or at worst 10.

1 minute ago, Div said:

No chance 9pts will be enough to be seeded.

There are only 3 seeded places up for grabs and it looks pretty likely that Airdrie and Ross County will take two of those with perfect 12 point records.

Some of the other groups will have 11pt winners or at worst 10.

Yeah your right, I forgot it was only the 3 top group winners who were seeded. Cheers

Just now, medals said:

Yeah your right, I forgot it was only the 3 top group winners who were seeded. Cheers

Really annoying as we could not have asked for a better group. We really should have had the 12 points.

Makes it extremely hard to progress in the next round, IF we get there.

2 minutes ago, Div said:

Really annoying as we could not have asked for a better group. We really should have had the 12 points.

Makes it extremely hard to progress in the next round, IF we get there.

All depends on who we draw and how we play.

Teams like Airdrie are in that pot