The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, callum-g said:

Any gossip on where Ryan Strain will end up ?

I’d assumed he would be like Baccus and already be set up with a new team , was waiting on the scarf pic.

There was a rumour about Hull but that's literally the only sniff I've read.

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

The sort of game where my money would have been lumped straight onto Bet365…. ‘Baccus, yellow card’.

However…

Charles Dunne, red, for pulling a guy back 30 yards out.

49 minutes ago, callum-g said:

Any gossip on where Ryan Strain will end up ?

I’d assumed he would be like Baccus and already be set up with a new team , was waiting on the scarf pic.

I have a bad feeling he is Hearts bound. No inside info just a feeling. He was very chatty with their players after the recent game. 

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I have a bad feeling he is Hearts bound. No inside info just a feeling. He was very chatty with their players after the recent game. 

He’s played internationally with Atkinson, Rowles and Devlin - that’s probably why.

Ryan Strain should be playing English Championship based on his football ability but his fitness for a professional footballer isn’t good enough. He’s blowing out his arse after 60/70 minutes every week. 

Edited by SS77

2 minutes ago, SS77 said:

He’s played internationally with Atkinson, Rowles and Devlin - that’s probably why.

Ryan Strain should be playing English Championship based on his football ability but his fitness for a professional footballer isn’t good enough. He’s blowing out his arse after 60/70 minutes every week. 

Given where Baccus ended up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Strain turn up at someone like Salford City.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Given where Baccus ended up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Strain turn up at someone like Salford City.

Salford, despite their rich owners only finished in the lower reaches of League 2 last season. I think he'll end up either at one of the bigger League 1 teams like Bolton or Wigan or Hearts or Aberdeen up here.

Edited by Hendo

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

There was a rumour about Hull but that's literally the only sniff I've read.

The Hull City scout would’ve been as well getting a season ticket at Saints he was at that many games. Either that or it was a Saints fan who’s favourite jacket was a Hull City one.

23 minutes ago, SS77 said:

And there is a demand of more league games and extra cup competitions down south too. 

21 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Our last home game against Kilmarnock a couple of weeks ago should stand us in good stead then….

Relax Killie fans, relax. You did a job on us, fair do’s. Only kidding, etc. 😜

But they are still dirty #£%#s

4 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

And there is a demand of more league games and extra cup competitions down south too. 

Agree with this, the lower English leagues are an absolute physical slog. I'm not convinced Strain is suited to that at all. A move abroad, or Hearts, Hibs etc would be much better for his career 

1 hour ago, Stan Bo said:

Agree with this, the lower English leagues are an absolute physical slog. I'm not convinced Strain is suited to that at all. A move abroad, or Hearts, Hibs etc would be much better for his career 

If he wanted to trouser a bigger pay packet, then aye, move to Hibs. If he wanted to play under three shite managers in three seasons, then aye, move to Hibs.

Last I heard was that Strain was on his way to Hull City, but I guess that might be up in the air given that they have just bagged their manager. 
I read some article on Twitter today saying that Stevie Mallan and his agent have alerted Scottish clubs of his desire to return home and get himself a club in the premiership.

Seems he’s still recovering from an injury. If fit he’d be a good signing but doesn’t strike me as a typical Robbo type of player he’d go for.

12 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If he wanted to trouser a bigger pay packet, then aye, move to Hibs. If he wanted to play under three shite managers in three seasons, then aye, move to Hibs.

You are describing a massive improvement in recruitment at Easter Road there. Only 3 managers over 3 seasons would be relative stability for them. 

9 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Stevie Mallan and his agent have alerted Scottish clubs of his desire to return home and get himself a club in the premiership.

Seems he’s still recovering from an injury. If fit he’d be a good signing but doesn’t strike me as a typical Robbo type of player he’d go for.

4 goals in the last 2 years, manages about 1 match in every 2.

It's a no from me.

Maybe Livingstone will offer him a deal

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Avoid for the same reasons as I said we should avoiding Kyle Magennis last season.

Only Mallan isn't as talented. A better striker of a ball than Magennis but a far less talented player who floats in an out of games. He'd be a ridiculous downgrade on what Baccus was bringing in there. He's the sort of player who'd fit Dundee Utd or St. Johnstone far better than us.

Edited by djchapsticks

31 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

You could find room for Mallan in a 4-2-3-1 but never in a 4-3-3.

Imagine Mallan trying to play in the 5-2-3.

10 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Imagine Mallan trying to play in the 5-2-3.

It's been kind of forgotten how shite he was until Ross brought in McGinn and Magennis to do his running in the great escape season. Let him concentrate on banging in 40 yarders.

16 minutes ago, GAD said:

It's been kind of forgotten how shite he was until Ross brought in McGinn and Magennis to do his running in the great escape season. Let him concentrate on banging in 40 yarders.

As I say, a wonderful striker of a ball. One of the best I've seen at St. Mirren. Give him a loose or a dead ball 20-30 yards from goal and there's a proper shout it's going to be there or thereabouts.

An all action midfielder he is not, though. It wouldn't carry him through games at the level we are at juat now and hope to stay at.