The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

17 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

The QR2 page does not yet give the time in CET but at the top it says it's at "13:00 - your local time" so, until I read definitively otherwise on there, I am assuming QR2 is drawn at 1400 CET.

St Mirren will learn their opponents Wednesday, June 19. It will take place - the pre-amble, anyway - at 12pm (BST). It will be held in Nyon, Switzerland.

Really sad news. I started following Saints in 86 and Billy was such a great player in that team. 

Abers gonna get you is the best football chant ever. 

RIP Billy 🙏 

This one hits hard, I will always remember him at Hampden with the Scottish cup held aloft in front of the old covered terrace, and in Paisley that night. RIP wee man you remain a legend. 

The Billy Abercromby biography ‘Aber’s Gonnae’ Get Ye’ is one of the best fitba’ books I’ve read. One of those books that, if you are simply a Scottish football fan, not necessarily a St Mirren fan, is worth reading. As funny in parts as it is sad. Aber’ clearly had his issues, and demons. He married the lassie who lived across the road from me in Spateston, and back in the day, I played golf with him a couple of times at Lochwinnoch GC. Never knew him any more than that, but he was good company on the golf course. 

Goes without saying, the guy was a bona fide Saints legend. Like Fitzy, or Davie Lapsley etc. In the top bracket, no questions asked, of St Mirren legends.

RIP Aber’.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

The Billy Abercromby biography ‘Aber’s Gonnae’ Get Ye’ is one of the best fitba’ books I’ve read. One of those books that, if you are simply a Scottish football fan, not necessarily a St Mirren fan, is worth reading. As funny in parts as it is sad. Aber’ clearly had his issues, and demons. He married the lassie who lived across the road from me in Spateston, and back in the day, I played golf with him a couple of times at Lochwinnoch GC. Never knew him any more than that, but he was good company on the golf course. 

Goes without saying, the guy was a bona fide Saints legend. Like Fitzy, or Davie Lapsley etc. In the top bracket, no questions asked, of St Mirren legends.

RIP Aber’.

Agree about the book, very reflective, open and honest. Really sad that he wasnt able to conquer his demons.

RIP Aber.

22 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Agree about the book, very reflective, open and honest. Really sad that he wasnt able to conquer his demons.

RIP Aber.

I have never read the book, so just checked on Amazon. Rave reviews, 5 stars, but only one used copy available at £40. I’ll maybe try the library in Paisley.

RIP the wee man with a big heart.

Had the pleasure of meeting Billy a few seasons ago to give him the duplicate of his cup final winning shirt, as he'd lost the original.

He was so grateful and a gentleman too.

Sad news.

I can remember wee Billy sorting out Souness after he had signed for the blub mob. 

Great wee player who deserved a lot more reward out of the game.

At the 1st league home game of the season, hopefully a min applause will be held for him  🥺

Incredibly sad news about Aber. A tough one to take, particularly for fans of a certain age who saw him lift the cup. A true talisman in midfield. Aber's gonnae get ye!

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

RIP Aber’.

My mate text me the shocking news. I told him you need to read the autobiography one of the best football books I have read. The book hits the mark on football and life. 

Had the pleasure of meeting him when I was at hospitality at Love St, he had stayed away from the club for a number of years due to his personal issues and it was one of his first times back. 
Total gent and showed great patience with us fan boys who grew up watching him play. 
As everyone has said his book is well worth a read, another cup winner gone far too soon. 

Aber was one of my heroes growing up. Never forget the triple sending off.

Great player and true gent. We could be doing with a player like him. 

Shame he has gone so young.