The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I’m not overly concerned about today but it has to be said that our League Cup record in recent years has been terrible. If I’ve read the stats right, since winning it we’ve gone out at the earliest stage 7 times in 12 seasons. Would love to get a proper cup run again soon.

I am far from a pampers knickerwetter but 4 to 6 guys out may well be tough for many clubs in our league but most other teams have deeper squads than us.

Didn't Killie change 9 player today and only lost in ET, and despite playing with 10 men for most of the 120 minutes?

2 or 3 might be back soon, but I do hope we get at least 2 more very good players in.

The goal was poor but we never created much at all and today's starting  3 midfielders were not up to this level yet.

16 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Get the upcoming Celtic game out of the way, and act like the season starts fresh again with the Dundee game. Can’t see how else to react. Re-group and go again. I’m far from going Pampers shopping tomorrow, but it definitely feels like the feelgood factor is in danger of heading towards the U-Bend at the moment. All we need now is for Dundee United to draw Spartans at home to right royally round off an increasingly scunnersome week.

I agree. Whilst it is not time to buy any pampers there are areas we need to address. 

Yes we are having a nightmare with injuries. Yes we have played a lot of games in a short time. 

And yes we have new players trying to bed in. 

However there are worrying trends. 

Defensively we are missing a player like Bolton on the right. 

We lack a defensive midfielder

And finally we lack a striker who offers us something different. 

I am no way panicing but hope we can fix things before the window closes. 

Long way to go but best to fix things now and not later in the season. 

Lastly Balcombe is a great shot stopper but he is suspect at crosses and needs to dominate more at corners. 

1 hour ago, greenock saint said:

Anyone else having probs with iptv this season or is it just my new provider? Cheers

My provider had some buffering yesterday and claimed sky had added extra security for start of EPL. Much better today. 

3 hours ago, northstbuddie said:

Why is the Premier Sports commentary team unapologetic United homers? Surely they could have got a more balanced team.

It's more like a United TV livestream.

It wasn’t a Premier Sports commentary team.

It was a DUTV commentary team.

Premier Sports are simply streaming the club streams. 

The only Premier Sports commentary teams are on the featured live games. 
Rangers v St. Johnstone and Celtic v Hibs. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Thanks for that clarification.

21 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I watched on SMTV. Gordon McCome was commentating.

1 hour ago, jimmy boo said:

My provider had some buffering yesterday and claimed sky had added extra security for start of EPL. Much better today. 

Cheers mate, I changed provider last month and all channels are fine apart from the Scottish games, they are almost unwatchable. Might end up going back to previous provider. 

Absolutely not giving the guy a fair crack of the whip but Smyth does look dreadful,  despite the two goals.  Looks like he's running through treacle and speed of thought seems even slower. Totally powderpuff in the middle without MOH. 

Don't agree with the calls for a new striker,  we have 4 pretty good and varied striking options, the service needs to be better.  

Ultimately, we dont have 'like for like' contenders for our wingers in Kiltie and McMenamin. They both got injured at the same time which was unfortunate. 

Imo this forced the formation from 5-2-3 to a 5-3-2 this season, to use our large selection of central-ish midfielders and 4 strikers. To now end up with O'hara, CBM and Adeniran injured. These are probably your top 2 if not 3 picks for central midfield all out. On top of your top 2 wingers. 

We have been anihilated with injuries on top of european football. 

Theres plenty of culprits for today with poor performances. If we start with the same midfield as today against Celtic we are in trouble. 

Anyone else notice how downbeat the manager looked in his post match interview. 
I think we need at least two quality additions to the squad, hopefully they materialise soon.

Given the amount of recent games in Europe and playing Thursday Sunday for a few weeks, its clear that fatigue and injuries have taken their toll, we currently have some players who for whatever reason, are just not at it. 
For us to replicate the last two seasons that has to change quickly.

1 hour ago, AberdeenBud said:

Absolutely not giving the guy a fair crack of the whip but Smyth does look dreadful,  despite the two goals.  Looks like he's running through treacle and speed of thought seems even slower. Totally powderpuff in the middle without MOH. 

Don't agree with the calls for a new striker,  we have 4 pretty good and varied striking options, the service needs to be better.  

Id say Toyosi and Mandron are both capable of 9/10 goals and can link well the others I would have my doubts 

3 hours ago, zildjian said:

Ultimately, we dont have 'like for like' contenders for our wingers in Kiltie and McMenamin. They both got injured at the same time which was unfortunate. 

Imo this forced the formation from 5-2-3 to a 5-3-2 this season, to use our large selection of central-ish midfielders and 4 strikers. To now end up with O'hara, CBM and Adeniran injured. These are probably your top 2 if not 3 picks for central midfield all out. On top of your top 2 wingers. 

Theres plenty of culprits for today with poor performances. If we start with the same midfield as today against Celtic we are in trouble. 

pretty sure we will be in trouble..........but then again with St Mirren, you just never know................. it's the hope that gets you.

3 hours ago, zildjian said:

Post match interview. 

spot on evaluation, no hiding, I can respect that, hopefully he can work some magic for the Celtic game, but don't bet your house on it.......please.

When I looked at the fixture list for August, I knew it would be difficult, and this has been compounded by the number of injuries all in the same area of the park. Celtic and Dundee away are also tough games to end the month. 

No need to panic though, I'm sure we'll be better when injuries ease and we are playing fewer games.

I hope they work on in training how to set up to defend set plays, Balcombe didn't cover himself in glory last week or yesterday but the set up by the whole defence was really sloppy.

12 hours ago, zildjian said:

Left winger Maolida still available.  (Cue out of our league posts)

Badly need a fully fit O'Hara, CBM and Adeniran. 

What worried me most is Goga, Fraser and Lacovitti don't have the speed of Taylor.

Not only fast forwards but even Moult found loads of space at one point - I know we were chasing the game but, Brann exposed this too.