The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Absolutely crying out for a creative midfielder 

Unfortunate that McMenamin and Kiltie are injured at the same time. They'll be available for most of the season though. Idowu looks like he could offer something different too.

1 hour ago, Buttocks Brown said:

KVV isn't in a good situation.

Under contract in the Netherlands until 2026, but playing zero football because of a disagreement with the manager. Probably won't play for Groningen again. Meanwhile, his partner is living in Scotland with their baby daughter.

Have to assume he'll be eager to continue his career in Scotland: the sticking point will be his wages and Groningen's demands. I think their preference will be a permanent transfer. As the week progresses, it wouldn't be a surprise if we hear other teams are in for him.

Personally, I think he's exactly what we need. Might take a wee while to get him up to speed though.

Fwiw, the story seems to be that he got a wage bump as a result of Groningen’s promotion (and it triggered an additional payment for us, which was nice).

Either way, he’d appear to be on an even more substantial wage now than he was in January.

While it’s clearly not an ideal situation it’s difficult to imagine him leaving that sort of money on the table given his contract still has two years to run.

It really feels like it’s about how much Groningen are willing to eat of that contract to keep him out of sight, out of mind.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Will sound more dickish than I mean, but who else is going to want him?

Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee, Hearts, Hibernian, Kilmarnock, Rangers, St Johnstone won't want or need him.

So you're left with United, Motherwell, County, and yourselves.

He won't fit a Goodwin side, and he won't want to live in Dingwall, so that leaves just you and Motherwell. Motherwell have spent (at least one) fee on a striker already this Summer.

Said similar in our thread earlier.

I mean, we’re still quoted as wanting to bring in a couple more forwards on account of our injuries which makes me think there’s a small chance we might ask the question but it feels unlikely when you look at the profile of those we’ve been linked with.

Assuming he wants back to Scotland (and the Central belt specifically) to cut about with his missus and wean St Mirren feels like his best (only?) option.

Which isn’t to be snide it just looks like his options are pretty limited especially as he’s barely kicked a baw since December last year.

10 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

Young Sutherland moving to the EPL for a sizeable fee that will part fund the wages for KVV it would appear.

We all know that every club in Scotland are selling clubs, but it would be good to see some of the products of our youth system play some first team games before they get hoovered up.

The club know he won’t sign another contract so it makes sense to cash in while we can.

Yeah, it's a shame that Reid, Campbell and now Sutherland have gone down south and won't have managed double figures in first team appearances for us between them. Guessing Sutherland will have featured more for Alloa than he did for us.

It's nearly a decade since McGinn and McLean left but I still feel a connection with them and like to see them doing well (especially for Scotland) because they were first team regulars for a while. Can't really see that happening with the trio mentioned above.

On a vaguely related note, would be nice of Lincoln sold Erhahon before the window shuts as that would be another chunk of cash. Seems to be very highly rated and they're hoping for a record fee if/when he goes. Was a bit worried his contract was up next summer and they'd sell him for a cut price fee in January but just found an article from May this year saying he has more than two years left on his contract so happy days.

Villa's success over the last few years makes it pretty unlikely we'll be seeing McGinn sold anytime soon sadly.

10 hours ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Idowu looks like he could offer something different too.

Not convinced by him so far. He had a decent second half against Hibs but since then every game has passed him by. Wasn’t surprised to see he was the one dropped on Sunday. When we have a fully fit squad, I’d think he’ll be the midfielder with the most limited game time. 

Just saw that lad Liam Smith who has signed for Thistle from Swansea. His career path sums up the way the system is broken for clubs of our size and players of a certain age.

Nobody will convince me that this kid wouldn't have been better off (except perhaps financially) staying with Killie.

As @djchapsticks has been explaining, this is just the way of things now and it's a bit shit but can't see it changing any time soon.

Screenshot_20240828-090534.png

15 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Just saw that lad Liam Smith who has signed for Thistle from Swansea. His career path sums up the way the system is broken for clubs of our size and players of a certain age.

Nobody will convince me that this kid wouldn't have been better off (except perhaps financially) staying with Killie.

As @djchapsticks has been explaining, this is just the way of things now and it's a bit shit but can't see it changing any time soon.

Looks like a loan to Thistle but your point stands.

For every Ethan Erhahon who makes the move south and seems to progress, there are a dozen others who either languish on the sidelines or have multiple disruptive and often fruitless loan moves.

Aye, it is very much the way of things now and the financial considerations dictate that it will remain so, but it doesn't seem to be a great formula for producing and nurturing talent.

It is also frustrating that we seldom get to see the best young prospects play at our clubs despite the time and effort that has been put in to develop them.

47 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Not convinced by him so far. He had a decent second half against Hibs but since then every game has passed him by. Wasn’t surprised to see he was the one dropped on Sunday. When we have a fully fit squad, I’d think he’ll be the midfielder with the most limited game time. 

I think him and Smyth are in the same camp at the moment for me. 

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Looks like a loan to Thistle but your point stands.

For every Ethan Erhahon who makes the move south and seems to progress, there are a dozen others who either languish on the sidelines or have multiple disruptive and often fruitless loan moves.

Aye, it is very much the way of things now and the financial considerations dictate that it will remain so, but it doesn't seem to be a great formula for producing and nurturing talent.

It is also frustrating that we seldom get to see the best young prospects play at our clubs despite the time and effort that has been put in to develop them.

Ethan's situation was a bit of a strange but more fortunate one for us and probably him too. He was being scouted by the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool and a few other big clubs when in our under 18s. When he made the step up to the first team, he was forced to play out of position for the rest of the season at left-back under Kearney. This probably set his development back a couple of years, though allowed us through time to work his way into our midfield. 
I believe that Goodwin wasn't a fan of his attitude at the beginning (sent him out on loan in January 2020 window) though through time seen him as a more valuable asset in the middle of the park post covid.

Ethan himself seen Saints as a good pathway for his development as he had signed an extension to his contract, though was close to moving before covid prevented any movement. 

It's worked out well for him as he develops at a lower level in English football, whilst gathering the plaudits for his performances, which could lead him higher up the ladder through time. Seems very level headed and willing to bide his time, with Saints having a good sell on fee on him.

I always believed he would make the top in the game and I still do believe he will become the next player to help us benefit from a wee windfall on his next move.

Differing reports on the fee for Sutherland. Scott Burns says £200k with a 20% sell on and add on's taking the fee to over £400k. Other reports say £300k upfront with add on's 

Either way it is too low a figure. 

Of course he could walk away for nothing. 

Whatever figure we get we need to boost the squad for the season. 

A couple of players who know the way to goal would be good. 

21 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Differing reports on the fee for Sutherland. Scott Burns says £200k with a 20% sell on and add on's taking the fee to over £400k. Other reports say £300k upfront with add on's 

Either way it is too low a figure. 

Of course he could walk away for nothing. 

Whatever figure we get we need to boost the squad for the season. 

A couple of players who know the way to goal would be good. 

I think if the player is indicating he is not signing a new contract, is keen on a move to Wolves and he can walk for less at the end of the season, it's better taking this offer for a player who wants to be elsewhere with days of the window left.

Can't argue with the player wanting to move to a bigger club and opportunity and  also the club for doubling what they would get next summer. 

He's barely kicked a ball for our first team so his value isn't going to exceed what we receive unfortunately unless he progresses to another sale which we will cash in on.

Edited by smellthepaw

3 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Did you see his wee interview on X?

He looked like he'd just been told his lifelong boyhood pet had just died.

22 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Did you see his wee interview on X?

He looked like he'd just been told his lifelong boyhood pet had just died.

Yeah, that was what made me look him up. It was definitely how you sound if you leave Killie for Man City then find yourself at Partick Thistle six years later. Like I said, I feel bad for the boy.

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye.

We have 2 youngsters who are apparently very highly rated.

Callan Hammill is 15yo and will apparently sign for Arsenal next Summer after he's turned 16 (he turned down Celtic/Rangers this Summer).

Brodie Dair is 16yo and seems like he'll stick around longer (based on not a lot, but it sounds like he's always a year group ahead (scored for the u18s at 15yo) and his dad is a former player, so I think they'll want him playing games as quickly as possible instead of jumping to move).

If I'm right in thinking one stays and one goes, it'll be interesting to watch their paths considering they're about the same age.

25 minutes ago, RagaRocker said:

And it ended up being a massive success. Incredible stuff. 

You are mentioned in the papers as the inspiration for this. £9000 in 2 days for preterm newborns in the rural areas of Almaty.

IMG_20240828_133426.jpg

Wow! Outstanding effort!

I despise English football with every fibre of my being.

Too often we see promising young players poached from Scottish clubs either before they make a single senior appearance, or with a handful of gams under their belt, to go and fill the academy of some jobber EPL side.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it from the players side of things. They have no way of knowing if an offer like that will come around again and he'd be stupid to turn that money down. It's a no brainer.

I'm equal parts pleased for the lad and annoyed by the practices of these English clubs.

But let's be real, the chances of Sutherland making the Wolves first team ad being an EPL regular are almost non-existent. They'll have about three £20million+ players waiting to step in and play in his position ahead of him. He'll most likely play for their academy, perhaps go to L1/2 down south on loan, probably end up signing for a team down there and then be back up playing for Motherwell or Killie etc in 3/4 years time.

The quicker English fitba goes bust, the better for us all.

Be mental to turn our nose up at KVV despite his age and lack of football, given how many goals he scored in the Premiership just two seasons ago.

That said, we don't really have months to wait for a player to get up to speed and there is also a genuine question about how many chances we're actually creating for any striker to thrive off. It's not been that many to be fair.

We've got a good squad, but when you look around the Premiership I think you could say that about most of the teams to be honest. It's going to be very, very fine lines between "success"  and failure this season. A couple of key additions in the next couple of days could make all the difference, particularly with a few players missing and quite a few of the new boys still struggling to get fully match fit.