The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I know how this'll sound coming from me, but I'm not sure, from what I've seen of him so far, he'll ever be a regular scorer at this level and I think by the end of the season you'll all be a bit less hot about him.

He looks like one who'll end up useful as a "c**t" up front, like your Chris Kane/Danny Mullen types, whos value comes from taking on CBs and opening up space for others rather than bagging goals. He doesn't seem to have the pace to break away from CBs and doesn't seem to strike the ball well enough to beat keepers.

I doubt English sides will go near him yet so a new deal would be easy for you, but a smart club wouldn't be planning for him as first choice next season IMO, he'd be competition to Brophy in my mind.

As I say, I know what response this'll get, but it's easy for strikers coming into good sides. He's still got rakes to develop too I guess, so I look forward to all the replies to this in 10 months when Rotherham spend £2m on him after 40 goals in 40 games.

Even from the first 5 minutes when he came on away at United, it looked as if he had something about him.

That impression has only got stronger.

If Saints can extend his contract by a year or two I really don’t see this as being much of a risk.

I appreciate it's not a like for like comparison but Greive, after just 6 appearances, has scored the same number of goals that Curtis Main has over 24 games - with the caveat that not all games saw them in the starting line up.

31 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know how this'll sound coming from me, but I'm not sure, from what I've seen of him so far, he'll ever be a regular scorer at this level and I think by the end of the season you'll all be a bit less hot about him.

He looks like one who'll end up useful as a "c**t" up front, like your Chris Kane/Danny Mullen types, whos value comes from taking on CBs and opening up space for others rather than bagging goals. He doesn't seem to have the pace to break away from CBs and doesn't seem to strike the ball well enough to beat keepers.

I doubt English sides will go near him yet so a new deal would be easy for you, but a smart club wouldn't be planning for him as first choice next season IMO, he'd be competition to Brophy in my mind.

As I say, I know what response this'll get, but it's easy for strikers coming into good sides. He's still got rakes to develop too I guess, so I look forward to all the replies to this in 10 months when Rotherham spend £2m on him after 40 goals in 40 games.

Get where you are coming from and after the first very short cameo appearances I thought he looked very raw and it would take until next season before he even started making the squad in a regular basis. However due to injury to Brophy , Dennis going to Carlisle and Main and Erwin being useless the lad was forced into the team from the start as there was no-one else. And he has been a revelation over those 3 games. His workrate is at least as good as Brophy and he tends to stay nearer the penalty spot whereas Brophy will often go wide. His link-up play is also better as he isn't as greedy as Brophy. I have had to revise my views. If he keeps this up he will be undoubtedly be an asset but hopefully he will improve as he adjusts to Scottish football. Great attitude, great workrate and great game awareness. His goals have not been spectacular so far but as long as he contributes and rolls them in from 1 yard then he'll do more than fine.

41 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I know it's only one of your carthorse CB's, but...............

2 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Time to batten down the hatches as Aberdeen are now looking for a new manager. 

Would like to think Goodwin will think it's too early and rule himself out, the same as he did when we ruled himself out of taking the Saints job the first time round.

I have a fear they will come calling

5 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Get where you are coming from and after the first very short cameo appearances I thought he looked very raw and it would take until next season before he even started making the squad in a regular basis. However due to injury to Brophy , Dennis going to Carlisle and Main and Erwin being useless the lad was forced into the team from the start as there was no-one else. And he has been a revelation over those 3 games. His workrate is at least as good as Brophy and he tends to stay nearer the penalty spot whereas Brophy will often go wide. His link-up play is also better as he isn't as greedy as Brophy. I have had to revise my views. If he keeps this up he will be undoubtedly be an asset but hopefully he will improve as he adjusts to Scottish football. Great attitude, great workrate and great game awareness. His goals have not been spectacular so far but as long as he contributes and rolls them in from 1 yard then he'll do more than fine.

Aye I mean I didn't mean to criticise him or anything. Strikers who work like f**k, have a touch, and can poach goals are vital for clubs in this Country. 

I'm just not sure I've seen anything from him to suggest he'll do anything but score tap ins, so he'll only ever be as good as the others in your attack, if that makes sense?

Just now, AW saint said:

I have a fear they will come calling

They will probably want to chat to him at the very least and he's within his rights to chat to them.

Their set up is different from ours though, he likes full control of transfers.

I think it's too early for him, personally. 

From what Goody said at the Smisa Q&A I don't know if he'll be chomping at the bit to go to Aberdeen. The usual Caveat of "Money talks" does apply however.

He's done a brilliant job and I'd love for him to see out the season especially given the run we're on. To be honest I'd have been surprised if he was here after the summer anyways.

50 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think you have this so wrong. He has a strikers instinct which Danny Mullen doesnt have.

His pace is good but it is his positional play that stands out. He can poach as well as hit from around the box. 

I think he will grab more goals than any one of our other forwards. 

He reminds me a bit of a young McCoist but with better work rate. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye I mean I didn't mean to criticise him or anything. Strikers who work like f**k, have a touch, and can poach goals are vital for clubs in this Country. 

I'm just not sure I've seen anything from him to suggest he'll do anything but score tap ins, so he'll only ever be as good as the others in your attack, if that makes sense?

Well Main and Erwin simply can't score at all so Greive (or anyone from the terracing) is a big improvement on that. Brophy tends to score from distance. Greive's game awareness means he creates space for others and himself and I can see him helping players like Ronan and Kiltie score more. Greive gives us something no other of our strikers gives.

OK, so in recent discussions about Jamie McGrath and Jak Alnwick, I once more state my opinion that the days of me seeing a McGarvey, McAvennie or Clarke in the stripes for a good while before they leave are gone, and I accept that. I know a player who shines for even one season these days will likely be offski.

Now with Greive, we are discussing scouts sniffing around, and us maybe losing, a player who has been here just about long enough to be able to find his way from the training centre in Ralston to the stadium without getting lost and needing Google Maps.

Thank fcuk I grew up in the 70s and 80s watching fitba’ in my prime years of going every week, home and away. I genuinely don’t see myself as an old fart who thinks everything was better in the old days, but I do genuinely think the days of Jim McLean having guys on ten year contracts at ten quid a week were better for supporters.

Just as we learn to spell the boy’s name correctly too. Thanks for your service (all five minutes), best wishes, have we got a sell on clause, hope he doesn’t go to Hibs or Aberdeen, yadda yadda…. Just getting the inevitable patter in early. 🤐

1 minute ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

A note of caution would be that fans in the stands were quite literally directing 'We're  not worthy' gestures towards Jens Paeslack at this stage of his Saints career.

To be fair Greive has already shown in his short stint in appearances, that’s he’s got miles more natural ability.

Paeslack was good for two things, stealing from fellow pro’s and making plaster cast impressions of his dick.

As a going away gift for Stephen McGarry.

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

They will probably want to chat to him at the very least and he's within his rights to chat to them.

Their set up is different from ours though, he likes full control of transfers.

I think it's too early for him, personally. 

Too early? It’s only Aberdeen mate ffs.

They were big in the 80’s, dwindling crowds and no c**t wants to live in Aberdeen either.

I could understand him going if the likes of Hearts came in for him but not Aberdeen 😅