The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

18 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

Is there a chance that Robbo sees McMenamin as a wing back/midfielder rather than a striker? If so, then I think there's a chance we might go for another forward. 

Absolutely not. He'll play wide or as a second striker. He also prefers to play on the right as well although he's left footed, so he won't be displacing Strain.

Glad to see some options up top. At the end of the season in critical games we only had Main carrying an injury and Greive available with Kiltie also filling in with the young lads getting a cameo appearance of a few minutes.

And Ayunga won't be ready until Oct so we are not overloaded but now at least have some cover.

Saints linked with three different target men, and then somehow pull a 4th name out the bag from absolutely nowhere!

In Robbo and Foyle we trust.

Hope I’m wrong but find it pretty hard to believe we are looking for as many as three more.

A left wing back is a must, and I suppose if Baccus is leaving we need another one in there but hard to see what else we need unless someone else leaves.

Im half getting the impression Robinson doesnt actually have a plan for all these signings. Its just scattergunning players with attributes he likes and then he'll figure out how to fit them all in.

Usually doesnt work particularly well when managers do that.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Im half getting the impression Robinson doesnt actually have a plan for all these signings. Its just scattergunning players with attributes he likes and then he'll figure out how to fit them all in.

Did you read his commetns after the latest signing?

18 minutes ago, Div said:

Hope I’m wrong but find it pretty hard to believe we are looking for as many as three more.

A left wing back is a must, and I suppose if Baccus is leaving we need another one in there but hard to see what else we need unless someone else leaves.

I think we also need another centre half, given big Dec has had injury problems in the past. I see Fitzwater that was at Livvy is still unattached, might be an option unless he's aiming bigger.

47 minutes ago, Div said:

Do we have cover for Strain? I know Fraser can play there, Flynn at a push too (poor choice of words I know).

Ideally get someone in like Tait who is reliable in a couple of different positions for full back/wing back left and right sided.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You just concern yourself with your own teams signings and strategies...or lack of.

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Thanks for your opinion.  It's really valued. 

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You can debate the quality of the signings all you like but it's certainly not scattergun.

We've lost a number 9 and replaced him with a number 9

We've lost a winger and replaced him with a winger

We've lost, well, Brophy and replaced him with what is admittedly a bit of a wildcard in Nahmani. 

We have quite literally gone like for like in the window so far.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

You just concern yourself with your own teams signings and strategies...or lack of.

Our strategy is culling the wage bill, and age of the squad, after our previous manager saddled us with a huge expensive, below average, squad on multi-year deals.

Im comfortable with that even if it leads to relegation tbh.

37 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Mandron is a direct replacement for Main and McMenamin is the type of player we’ve been crying out for. 

Hardly a scattergun approach.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Our strategy is culling the wage bill, and age of the squad, after our previous manager saddled us with a huge expensive, below average, squad on multi-year deals.

Im comfortable with that even if it leads to relegation tbh.

Well, here's hoping.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

You can debate the quality of the signings all you like but it's certainly not scattergun.

We've lost a number 9 and replaced him with a number 9

We've lost a winger and replaced him with a winger

We've lost, well, Brophy and replaced him with what is admittedly a bit of a wildcard in Nahmani. 

We have quite literally gone like for like in the window so far.

Are you saying McMenamin is a Henderson replacement?

McMenamin will be used up front if youre playing the 3-5-2 again. Mandron is a different type of forward to Main, im sure, despite his size. Id worry Robinson has just spotted a big striker and assumed, as hes been bad for doing at every club it seems like.

42 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We've signed 4 players, one is a keeper which we needed, two are strikers to replace Main/Watt and Brophy (Madron was not who we expected, but he is definitely what we expected). The only different player is McMenamin, who we are hoping brings goals and creativity, something else we badly need.

It's about as far from "scattergun" as you can get, it's actually pretty conservative and very predictable.