The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

30 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Main is a real loss to our style of play - can’t see him being replaced easily 

The beauty of Main was that his strength and workrate let us play in a 4-3-3 style, with a press at the front, but with only two strikers. Our purchases so far do make me wonder if we'll go for a 4-3-3, maybe attempting something clever with Gogic being midfield but dropping back in when needed so Strain and Tanser can still get forward.

2 hours ago, Div said:

I think by all accounts, although the door was left slightly ajar there, that it is now closed.

From what I can gather there was a willingness on the part of the player to stay if certain terms were met, and there was a desire for the club for him to stay but alas it looks like they were too far apart in what he wanted versus what we were willing pay him.

He's still living round the corner from me and his family seem well settled here.

A shame but the manager has a budget and it's entirely his call as to how he uses it.

He is better looking to get a deal from the Burgh. 

They are throwing crazy money at has beens

21 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I’m sure we could have afforded to keep Main but he’d probably have been on too much compared to others in the squad.

We’ll find out next season how easily or otherwise he is to replace! 

That's a good point that isn't often considered.

Its all good and well to push the boat out to keep or bring players in but there has to be a sensible and equitable wage structure.  Otherwise the club could create tension and rumblings in the squad.

The atmosphere and morale around the playing squad seems to have been very positive and contributory factor in terms of our relative success of late, so why undermine that if it can be avoided?

21 minutes ago, Mac28 said:

MIsery Hunters mentioned the club might bring Small back up on loan if he is available. Wouldnt mind it as long as he screws the head and doesnt get any stupid red cards again

The lad has ability. If he is with us for the season he will be an asset and will mature.

Edited by medals

2 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I think he priced himself out of a new deal. 

Until he's fixed up elsewhere, he'll still hope we are a fall back option and he can reduce his demands. (Or his agent's demands).

Question is, will he turn before we sign another striker and shut the door on his fallback plan.

48 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Marcus Fraser the vice captain

I can’t imagine you’d be making him vice captain if you were trying to replace him as some have suggested……

That's quite the resurrection for Fraser as at the end of the 21/22 season when Robinson came in, it looked to all that he was keen to shift him out. He'd failed to track back, got mentioned by the manager in the post match comments then dropped for a few games.

I'll be honest, I still don't know if the guy is a RCB, RB or RWB, but I think he's been a much better signing for us than the County fans claimed he'd be. Not that they said he'd flop, more that perhaps he'd peaked and was likely to fade as his career went on.

26 minutes ago, Ric said:

That's quite the resurrection for Fraser as at the end of the 21/22 season when Robinson came in, it looked to all that he was keen to shift him out. He'd failed to track back, got mentioned by the manager in the post match comments then dropped for a few games.

I'll be honest, I still don't know if the guy is a RCB, RB or RWB, but I think he's been a much better signing for us than the County fans claimed he'd be. Not that they said he'd flop, more that perhaps he'd peaked and was likely to fade as his career went on.

Even at the start of last season, it looked like Shaughnessy was the preferred option in defence but Fraser won out in the end.

He’s good IMO. If he were better then he wouldn’t be playing for St Mirren!

Fans always want to better the team but I’ve seen far worse in defence than Fraser and it’s sometimes not until someone leaves and is replaced by someone worse that you realise what you’ve lost! 

A team like us needs guys like Marcus Fraser types. Guys who are good enough, and a good fit at the club, but not so good as to attract suitors after one great season. I do not mean that as a slight on Marcus Fraser at all. A good solid core of decent players can go a long way.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

A team like us needs guys like Marcus Fraser types. Guys who are good enough, and a good fit at the club, but not so good as to attract suitors after one great season. I do not mean that as a slight on Marcus Fraser at all. A good solid core of decent players can go a long way.

From memory, I'd say most of our successful teams in the 70s and 80s had a selection of "solid players" like Fraser.

Considering we never paid a fee for the lad, and that he's very low maintenance (no nightclub stories, or betting scandals), I think he's turned out a bargain. As @Captain Saintsible says, if he was better he'd probably not still be with us, but equally, like you said, that's not a slight on the guy.

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

This'll be his fourth (?) season with us. Most players these days dont manage four seasons with a club, so fair play to him, we're lucky to get two seasons out a player before they get binned or move on looking for a better gig. He very rarely has a bad game too. I wish there were more Marcus Frasers around that we could pick up.

1 minute ago, houston_bud said:

This'll be his fourth (?) season with us. Most players these days dont manage four seasons with a club, so fair play to him, we're lucky to get two seasons out a player before they get binned or move on looking for a better gig. He very rarely has a bad game too. I wish there were more Marcus Frasers around that we could pick up.

Shuggie Murray, David Van Zanten… didn’t spend entire careers at St Mirren, but that’s the type of guys I bracket with Marcus Fraser. Good pros.

Maybe Curtis didn't have a big money move lined up after all?

I'd take him back, but certainly wouldn't break the bank Brophy style to sign him. I also wouldn't mind seeing him rock up at a Kilmarnock or Motherwell. Robinson is the only manager that seems to get a tune out of him.