The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

Few Motherwell fans think our new big, quick and physical striker is Louis Moult. Not sure he's particularly quick these days. 

That's slightly skewing the throught process. More accurately we've got reason to believe he's coming back, and a few motherwell fans are hoping that means back to Robinson rather than back to Motherwell, as Winston Ingram has more functioning legs than Louis Moult does.

9 minutes ago, saintmurn said:

Few Motherwell fans think our new big, quick and physical striker is Louis Moult. Not sure he's particularly quick these days. 

Scott Burns has alluded to Moult signing for somebody. Easy to link that with Robinson’s comments and their prior history…

26 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I am sorry but this seems like a logical fail.

You admit everyone is affected by need to rebuild but then say that's "not a level playing field".

It is a level playing field.

All the teams in the group stages needed to be ready to compete by 15 July 2023. That's a requirement which applied to all, and couldn't BE more of a "level playing field".

I don't know whether you mean, instead, that it's more "level" if it's later on so we are ready to thrash lower league opposition but, if we weren't as ready as we should have been v Montrose, that's our problem. But that sounds perilously close to demanding that a competition is bent to our needs and a wee bit entitled.

Nope.

It isn't a level playing field.

Team A might have made all their signing while Team B are still in the process (or waiting for clearance, etc).

A level playing field in a cup competition would be all clubs having their full squads in place (regardless of league placing). 

Effectively,  what you are suggesting is that the preseason only runs to the middle of July?

3 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Nope.

Team A might have made all their signing while Team B are still in the process (or waiting for clearance, etc).

A level playing field in a cup competition would be all clubs having their full squads in place (regardless of league placing). 

Effectively,  what you are suggesting is that the preseason only runs to the middle of July?

So is it not a level playing field during the season with one team having more injuries and suspensions too.

The core of last years team, 8 players played for us against Montrose. I haven't checked but would be surprised if they didn't start at least 3 new players too.

1 hour ago, Drooper said:

Nope.

I don't understand the logic here.

In that case, it wouldn't be a level playing field if a team signed a player in the January window only to play him in a Scottish Cup game. Said team would have a distinct unfair advantage then.

Montrose, Spartans and Stenhousemuir had the exact same date as we did for the beginning of the cup competition. The defeat lies squarely on us. Not on the format or anything being unfair.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

6 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I don''t understand the logic here.

In that case, it wouldn't be a level playing field if a team saigned a player in January window only to play him in a Scottish Cup game. Said team would have a distinct unfair advanytage then.

Montrose, Spartans and Stenhousemuir had the exact same date as we did for the beginning of the cup competition. The defeat lies squarely on us. Not on the format or anything being unfair.

I'm not talking about our defeat at the weekend. Yes, that lies squarely with us. Of course it does.

What I am saying is that I think one of our two national Cup competitions is devalued on account of clubs (all or any) being expected to play without their squads for the season being in place.

The argument that injuries and suspensions are an equivalence is specious. That is a depleted squad on account of the natural course of events in a season, but still technically a full squad.

Edited by Drooper

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

OK then, we might as well tell players not to enjoy their close-season, they must keep match fit. We must tell guys who want to leave for other clubs not to do so. We must make all our new signings the week after the last season ends, so they will A. Be fit, and B. Can fully integrate into their new team both on and off the pitch.

St Mirren, for example should not be waiting on international clearance for one striker, and waiting on the paperwork to be dotted and crossed for an as yet un-named striker. We should have got rid of Carson and Main feckin’ ages ago. We should simply not have guys like McMenamin and Mandron still learning their new team-mates names. We should not have a manager trying new players in new formations in early July. Robinson should know his best team, his best formation, and how the new signings fit into that right off the bat.

Finally, fcuk the transfer window still having ages of time to run - that just fcuks things up even more. 

Look, I admit St Mirren fully deserve an arse kicking for meek losses to (no offence) Montrose, but as has been pointed out, we were guff in this LC Group pish last season, but went on to have a good Top 6 season where we even managed to get results against the uglies and were sniffing Hibs for Europe. Why is that? 

It is down to the format, IMHO. In great part. I want Robbo’ to have us ready for it, but when it transpires (again) that we look in re-build mode, trying to gain match fitness mode, and so on, I won’t demand his sacking over it. I get it, and he’ll have us ready for the league season, for sure. I don’t like it, I won’t apologise for not liking it, so ya boo sucks, etc.

If your club isn't giving the players a fitness plan over the summer then there's absolutely an issue there.

17 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

If your club isn't giving the players a fitness plan over the summer then there's absolutely an issue there.

Nah, you have taken this too far. I’m sure our guys are well aware of what is expected of them over the summer break.

I have no issue with the format, just the timing of the start of the competition. 

The summer is traditionally when clubs do the majority of their transfer business and to have a major cup competition start on July 15th when clubs are still trying to recruit and get fitness is unhelpful. 

17 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I have no issue with the format, just the timing of the start of the competition. 

The summer is traditionally when clubs do the majority of their transfer business and to have a major cup competition start on July 15th when clubs are still trying to recruit and get fitness is unhelpful. 

100% this.