The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 25/09/2023 at 11:43, medals said:

image.thumb.png.bd94821a851069b24c1dc47557f63138.png

What's the next record to break?

It might be for the first 6 games but in 1968-69 Saints went 11 unbeaten in the league (6 wins, 5 draws) culminating in the 1-0 defeat of Rangers in front of 42,653.

ETA I see BtB has beaten me to it.

Edited by Arch Stanton

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

It might be for the first 6 games but in 1968-69 Saints went 10 unbeaten (5 wins, 5 draws) culminating in the 1-0 defeat of Rangers in front of 42, 653.

ETA I see BtB has beaten me to it.

We are 10 games unbeaten currently... 8 wins and 2 draws

Obviously this includes 4 cup games

Edited by medals

57 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

From W2, not a snowball in Hell's chance of seeing the archive game footage being displayed on that miniature screen. Utterly pointless. Waste of fucking money if that's it !!

What about a huge magnifying glass positioned in front of it.

18 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

He did mention a week or so back about Robinson being a massive influence on him when he was both injured and going through a rough spell personally in non football related issues.  Glad he's came back so far this season with a bit of a bang.

Him and his wife were in a pretty bad car crash last October.

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

From W2, not a snowball in Hell's chance of seeing the archive game footage being displayed on that miniature screen. Utterly pointless. Waste of fucking money if that's it !!

What about a huge magnifying glass positioned in front of it.

Have to admit, I was completely underwhelmed by the new scoreboard too. I expected it to be at least a bit bigger than the old one. (Now someone in the know will probably post that it is actually one foot wider and six inches taller, or something). Anyway, from W3, not only does it look the same size, it actually appears to be facing at a worse angle than the old one. It appears to be pointing more towards the South family stand. Maybe deliberate, to give them a fighting chance of actually seeing the thing from way down there. I definitely expected it to be noticeably bigger and better. Wasn’t expecting the Dallas Cowboys scoreboard, but, you know.

Aye, I know, moan, moan, moan. 😜

13 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Have to admit, I was completely underwhelmed by the new scoreboard too. I expected it to be at least a bit bigger than the old one. (Now someone in the know will probably post that it is actually one foot wider and six inches taller, or something). Anyway, from W3, not only does it look the same size, it actually appears to be facing at a worse angle than the old one. It appears to be pointing more towards the South family stand. Maybe deliberate, to give them a fighting chance of actually seeing the thing from way down there. I definitely expected it to be noticeably bigger and better. Wasn’t expecting the Dallas Cowboys scoreboard, but, you know.

Aye, I know, moan, moan, moan. 😜

I could barely see the old one from W3. The new one appears to be roughly the same size but further back and at a worse angle.

18 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I could barely see the old one from W3. The new one appears to be roughly the same size but further back and at a worse angle.

Agree. Maybe it’s just like in your house when you move the telly to decorate the room or something…. Can you ever get it back into the position that was perfect from before? No. Five trips back to your couch to look at the telly and hear your better half saying ‘think it needs a couple of inches out from the curtains, a wee bit more turned towards me…’ Yes. You hear that alright. 😀

It’s not that big a deal to me in reality though. I managed at fitba’ without a scoreboard at all for donkeys years. Bring back the big board on the trackside wall where someone slotted the H/T scores in under the letters ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’, etc, and you looked at your match programme to see what game ‘A’ etc actually was. Bring back the macaroon bars an’ ra’ speer-mint choo-ing guuum guys while you’re at it.

I believe the new scoreboard isn’t running the latest software yet. I’ll say one thing in seriousness though. Surely to goodness the new software, when the clock hits 45mins and 90mins, won’t just stop dead and sit motionless at 45 or 90. Surely it will turn red, and continue counting time being played over and above. On Saturday, at 1-0 and still nervy, the announcer says ‘the fourth official has announced a minimum of seven minutes added time, seven minutes’ (or whatever), and our scoreboard is frozen. It always is. Surely they can have it continue on so we know we’ve played X amount of added time without looking at our watches every ten seconds while saying ‘blow your fcuking whistle Walsh, you p***k’…. Or whatever.

Edited by pozbaird

9 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

.I’ll say one thing in seriousness though. Surely to goodness the new software, when the clock hits 45mins and 90mins, won’t just stop dead and sit motionless at 45 or 90. Surely it will turn red, and continue counting time being played over and above..

That's not allowed.

55 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Is there an actual reason given for why it's not allowed? Always seemed strange to me that it wasn't.

I believe it’s still down to the fact that the referee can still control exactly when he blows the final whistle. 

Although the additional time may be given as 6mins the ref can play longer if he believes it warrants it. Perhaps a goal or an injury takes place in additional time.

7 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I believe it’s still down to the fact that the referee can still control exactly when he blows the final whistle. 

Although the additional time may be given as 6mins the ref can play longer if he believes it warrants it. Perhaps a goal or an injury takes place in additional time.

None of this justifies why paying customers are not allowed to be shown how much time has elapsed. Another case of treating football fans as second best. IMHO.