The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

In the second half today, those new electronic advertising boards were a complete pain-in-the-arse from the West Stand. Maybe just down to the all-too-rare combination of it not quite being dark yet and the floodlights only being at half-power, but the boards, especially with white adverts, were so bright, they really affected viewing the game properly.

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Thoughts on McMenamin. He looks like a player but he is frustrating to watch. I am not convinced he is top drawer yet. 

I do think he needs to do better. 

I think he's went off the boil a wee bit the last 2 games. Think he needs a goal to kick on. 

13 hours ago, AW saint said:

Thoughts on McMenamin. He looks like a player but he is frustrating to watch. I am not convinced he is top drawer yet. 

Best I’ve seen him playing was for N Ireland.  He’ll come good - definitely has the ability 

14 hours ago, AW saint said:

My thoughts on McMenamin are that he is another player who is fitting in just fine to a St Mirren squad who have no top drawer world beaters but no duds. I am hard pressed to think of a single player, in or around the first team, who isn’t contributing, who isn’t popular, and who I don’t particularly rate much. I believe this is our strength this season. We have managed to knit together a bunch of guys who are all decent - and I mean that in a complimentary way too. Look at yesterday - Strain is out, Flynniesta just slotted in. When Robbo’ made his substitutions, every single player leaving, or coming on, was roundly applauded and genuinely appreciated. I genuinely cannot remember, in my St Mirren supporting lifetime, a squad where there was no-one getting the boo-boy treatment, or, in the case of some 1990s squads, were genuinely rubbish. Even guys like Billy Stark, or Kenny McLean for example weren’t always flavour of the month. Not saying they were rounded on mercilessly, but they didn’t always feel the love from the terraces.

McMenamin is proving to be another good signing in my book. He has a trick in him, a nice turn away from defenders to create space, can deliver a good cross, or play in team-mates. We just need to keep the St Mirren 2023/24 squad together. Players and management team. The summer transfer window thankfully passed without any major ‘incident’. Get through January in similar fashion and let’s see how it ends up. Hopefully top 6, and Europe. We look more than capable.

Edited by pozbaird

15 hours ago, Stan Bo said:

I think he's went off the boil a wee bit the last 2 games. Think he needs a goal to kick on. 

This is exactly what he needs, there’s  no doubting his ability as he is still getting used to Scottish football. 

It’s worthwhile pointing out that every single team we’ve played have been doubling up on him defensively, sometimes in regards to yesterday there were 3 men on him.

No doubt in my mind he’s vital to our system of play.

I think McMenamin has been excellent and a big part in our good form. Bear in mind he's been part time for most of his career. He played a couple of seasons full time in a predominantly part time league, before moving to us. Since the he's been an ever present in our side as well as playing internationally. He's going to have games where he's a bit off the boil. 

I thought he did ok yesterday too, neat wee turn before passing it to Baccus at the first goal.

17 hours ago, pozbaird said:

In the second half today, those new electronic advertising boards were a complete pain-in-the-arse from the West Stand. Maybe just down to the all-too-rare combination of it not quite being dark yet and the floodlights only being at half-power, but the boards, especially with white adverts, were so bright, they really affected viewing the game properly.

Perhaps it depends where you sit in West stand. I thought pre install that they were going to be a nightmare but I’m on the half way line mid way up the stand and I’ve not found them to be intrusive. I really thought I would be bothered by them. 

I did notice that the new scoreboard has gone “Casio” watch style retro with the graphics. 

IMG_4583.thumb.jpeg.c445fa321e912885982ed4ad13b5d7af.jpeg

Didn’t notice any Big front door corner adverts so perhaps @Div has not paid his bills. 

52 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Perhaps it depends where you sit in West stand. I thought pre install that they were going to be a nightmare but I’m on the half way line mid way up the stand and I’ve not found them to be intrusive. I really thought I would be bothered by them. 

I did notice that the new scoreboard has gone “Casio” watch style retro with the graphics. 

IMG_4583.thumb.jpeg.c445fa321e912885982ed4ad13b5d7af.jpeg

Didn’t notice any Big front door corner adverts so perhaps @Div has not paid his bills. 

With the clocks changing and it being darker overhead, and the floodlights being on full, will be interesting to see what the boards are like at the next home game. I’m in W3 row H. During the second half of the second half, when they were showing the white background adverts (University of WS?), they were very bright, and very intrusive - when play was anywhere nearer the Gentleman’s Pavilion side at all. There were blue and red background adverts, and they were fine. If it continues to be an issue, should be a doddle surely, to simply have no all-white background adverts allowed in autumn / winter games. If that all-white advert was indeed for the University, the boards were so bright white, and the logo so small, that you couldn’t see who the advert was for anyway. They’d be better changing it to a darker background with a bigger more visible logo anyway. I actually didn’t mind the new boards at all, unless it was the glaring white advert. Should have taken a ‘view from my seat’ style photo, but I was too busy watching goals going in. ⚽😎

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

I can’t for the life of me understand why the new advertising boards would annoy you. Every premiership ground has them, so everyone should be used to them by now. 

They annoyed me because at my mid-level seat in the West Stand, on a day with only semi-darkness overhead, and half-strength floodlights, the all-white adverts were so bright that they absolutely interfered with watching play when it was towards the Main Stand side of the pitch. The other adverts, with a black, blue, or red background were fine.

Pretty clear explanation of why I, and others around me, were annoyed by them, but a very easy fix would be to eradicate white background adverts. They’d be fine in early season games, they may well be fine in completely dark, night-time games under full floodlights. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

With the clocks changing and it being darker overhead, and the floodlights being on full, will be interesting to see what the boards are like at the next home game. I’m in W3 row H. During the second half of the second half, when they were showing the white background adverts (University of WS?), they were very bright, and very intrusive - when play was anywhere nearer the Gentleman’s Pavilion side at all. There were blue and red background adverts, and they were fine. If it continues to be an issue, should be a doddle surely, to simply have no all-white background adverts allowed in autumn / winter games. If that all-white advert was indeed for the University, the boards were so bright white, and the logo so small, that you couldn’t see who the advert was for anyway. They’d be better changing it to a darker background with a bigger more visible logo anyway. I actually didn’t mind the new boards at all, unless it was the glaring white advert. Should have taken a ‘view from my seat’ style photo, but I was too busy watching goals going in. ⚽😎

Once a graphic designer always....

Just now, elvis said:

Did anyone  else notice once the Ninety minutes were up  yesterday the 3 minutes added on was counting down under the 45  that's a new thing and the graphics are way better now.

Good to see you Elvis. You've not been around these parts much lately.

Celtic have proven very prone to the odd shiter this season and last season we took it to them in all our games, we were very unlucky not to leave Parkhead with a win in the last game.

If we play to our strengths, we could sneak off with something.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Celtic have proven very prone to the odd shiter this season and last season we took it to them in all our games, we were very unlucky not to leave Parkhead with a win in the last game.

If we play to our strengths, we could sneak off with something.

Won't be allowed.