The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Good defender but would be daft to turn down a decent offer if it’s £100k+ for a guy his age with a year left on his deal. He done well for us second half of the season but he only played 6 months as he couldn’t get in the team up to January. Taylor is a readymade replacement.

12 minutes ago, Vietnam91 said:

Do any of the SMiSA board frequent the forum? If so can they DM me please?

I don’t think any of them bother with it.

A couple of the younger board members are on X under @jmcskeane and @stuartchawk and are always happy to chat.

11 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Good defender but would be daft to turn down a decent offer if it’s £100k+ for a guy his age with a year left on his deal. He done well for us second half of the season but he only played 6 months as he couldn’t get in the team up to January. Taylor is a readymade replacement.

Spot on. Good player, not convinced he's much better than our other defenders and has a history of injuries. If someone is willing to stump up decent money and he wants to leave, then I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Edited by houston_bud

Last summer we let Gallagher go as we had Bolton lined up. I assume we have someone almost certain to sign if we're letting Bolton go.

Will be disappointing to lose him as he thought he was tremendous after he got in the team, however if we get someone of similar ability and a chunk of cash then it's decent business. I hope we are replacing him as not overly convinced a return to Fraser, Gogic and Taylor as the back three is the way forward.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Last summer we let Gallagher go as we had Bolton lined up. I assume we have someone almost certain to sign if we're letting Bolton go.

Will be disappointing to lose him as he thought he was tremendous after he got in the team, however if we get someone of similar ability and a chunk of cash then it's decent business. I hope we are replacing him as not overly convinced a return to Fraser, Gogic and Taylor as the back three is the way forward.

Allegedly the manager can spend any transfer fee for Bolton.

11 minutes ago, buddie06smfc said:

Taylor is left footed a totally different type of player.

As Stu says we'll have a replacement lined up if Bolton goes.

21 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Taylor is left footed a totally different type of player.

As Stu says we'll have a replacement lined up if Bolton goes.

It was Taylor that Bolton replaced and pushed Fraser over to the left. I was implying we could revert back to the defence we lined up with prior to January.

I think the descriptions of “class” and “tremendous” are a wee bit wide of the mark.

After a pretty shaky start he settled down to be a decent player, but nothing special. 
Getting cash for him now would be a “tremendous” or “class” piece of business in my eyes.

Happy if he stays and happy if we get cash for him (assuming of course there is a replacement waiting in the wings). 

From the ever reliable DR.

St Mirren are set to sell James Bolton to Fleetwood Town.

The Buddies are ready to accept a six figure bid for their central defender.

Stephen Robinson signed him from Plymouth last year but is now going to turn a tidy profit.

The 29-year-old has now been given permission to open talks with Charlie Adam’s side and to finalise a move.

Robinson has been assured that any money he brings in will be reinvested back into his European-bound squad.

Robinson already has got some high quality names in his sights if the deal, as expected, goes through.

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

From the ever reliable DR.

St Mirren are set to sell James Bolton to Fleetwood Town.

The Buddies are ready to accept a six figure bid for their central defender.

Stephen Robinson signed him from Plymouth last year but is now going to turn a tidy profit.

The 29-year-old has now been given permission to open talks with Charlie Adam’s side and to finalise a move.

Robinson has been assured that any money he brings in will be reinvested back into his European-bound squad.

Robinson already has got some high quality names in his sights if the deal, as expected, goes through.

High quality names......???

3 hours ago, Marko van Haddock said:

I like the big man, but if we have a replacement lined up and the money can finance the move for a penalty box striker then carry on. 

From looking at our dealings so far, wouldn't be surprised to see us reverting to 4 at the back next season, at least in some games. I like Bolton but wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced by someone more comfortable playing with just one other central defender.