The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Deal is signed.

Great tactic, get it done when weve been on a poor run, saved plenty £ on the negotiations. 

2 months to suss out who will be our new RWB and hopefully a few other additions etc. 

Players back by/before then too.

Loving our medium term vision too.

Edited by medals
Last para added

20 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I reckon there would be plenty of clubs that would be happy to take Robinson on based on the last 2 years of massive success and not base any decision off the first part of this season.

The time will eventually come when he moves on to something better but for now I’m glad we’re backing our best manager in decades with this extension.

What clubs?

Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs all changed their manager since the end of last season, he wasn't approached by any of them, and that's while his stock was much higher than now. He's never linked with any of the jobs that come up every single week in the EFL. What club is approaching us for permission to speak to him?

13 minutes ago, Lex said:

What clubs?

Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs all changed their manager since the end of last season, he wasn't approached by any of them, and that's while his stock was much higher than now. He's never linked with any of the jobs that come up every single week in the EFL. What club is approaching us for permission to speak to him?

I’ve no idea and neither do you - we don’t work in the board room and the club obviously feel the need to protect a very valuable asset.

Amazed that you’re the only one who’s got a negative outlook on rewarding our best manager in decades with a new contract but each to their own mate.

On 20/10/2024 at 07:43, RandomGuy. said:

Guess what interview was yesterday, and what interview was his last with Motherwell, before he resigned stating he'd spent a while there, improved everything at the club from when he joined, but realised things were going stale and he couldn't sort it.

Screenshot_20241020_073506_Chrome.thumb.jpg.de82b61aaa07d079f5900ec030c98f52.jpg

Or...

Screenshot_20241020_073525_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3539c37d435c8656c9985b27d19a4de0.jpg

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I can't explain it, but the vibes of this extension feel off.

I'm not saying it's a bad decision or will go wrong or anything, it just feels like it's ending badly.

Keep trying. You'll be right eventually.

48 minutes ago, SS77 said:

I’ve no idea and neither do you - we don’t work in the board room and the club obviously feel the need to protect a very valuable asset.

Amazed that you’re the only one who’s got a negative outlook on rewarding our best manager in decades with a new contract but each to their own mate.

So you can't name any club that would hypothetically be interested in him? As I've said, the clubs who potentially could be interested sack managers all the time, he's never seriously linked. Any time his name did come up in relation to Hearts or Aberdeen or whoever there was a fair bit of recoil from their fans. 

Of course if any bigger club did want him he'd be off like a rat up a drain pipe, this contract changes nothing in that regard. Just means it would be a bit more expensive compensation for whoever that bigger club is.

I think we're quite safe there. A quick glance at our summer recruitment or recent form would turn the nose of any potential suitor. 

I agree with @Lex that SRs career seems to have reached a plateau for the moment but time would have been running down on his old contract and publicly backing him with a two year extension now seems better than letting things drift - it's a good decision.

32 minutes ago, Lex said:

So you can't name any club that would hypothetically be interested in him? As I've said, the clubs who potentially could be interested sack managers all the time, he's never seriously linked. Any time his name did come up in relation to Hearts or Aberdeen or whoever there was a fair bit of recoil from their fans. 

Of course if any bigger club did want him he'd be off like a rat up a drain pipe, this contract changes nothing in that regard. Just means it would be a bit more expensive compensation for whoever that bigger club is.

I think we're quite safe there. A quick glance at our summer recruitment or recent form would turn the nose of any potential suitor. 

I think it’s fair to assume that plenty of clubs in England will have looked at him or likely sounded his interest out via his agent if you look at the last 2 seasons he’s had with us - it’s been success after success and the club is probably in the best shape it’s been in my lifetime. He’s had us punching well above our weight and competing at the right end of the table consistently and I doubt a small chunk of this season will put off any potential interest.

As for the summer recruitment I’ll probably reserve judgement until we’ve played the 29 league games and the potential Scottish Cup run we’ve got remaining. We’ve seen it take time for some guys to hit the ground running. I think having so many injuries and off the field issues can’t have helped anyone find any form of consistency.

At the end of the day - I think it’s a great bit of business by the club to tie up our biggest asset but you don’t agree and that’s football for you.

Edited by SS77

In 88-89 season Man U didn't win any of their 9 opening games. The following season again after a poor start the fans wanted Fergie out. He went on to be the most successful manager of all time. Not that I am suggesting Robbo is the new Fergie but it shows managers do not always have continuous winning streaks - even the best managers. Shows fans know little. 

Robbo has been fantastic for us and it is great news we are extending his contract. 

Reckon Hibs would be interested on Robbo as Gray has been a disaster so far. Dundee, Dundee Utd, and Killie would all be interested as well if they were looking for a new manager and Robbo was out of contract. Don't think he would be unemployed for long. But the good news he is still with us.

Loads of decent opinions on a breadth from more negative to positive in the above posts. 

For me this is also about continuity on a path, that let's face it has been a lot better in SR's tenure than for decades before.

What I love most is that all of us want more successes, even those who are more pessimistic.

I'm expecting that our current form is the low point of this season and there is better to come.

Have Hearts not just appointed a new manager who was sacked from his last two jobs?

To suggest that a relatively poor run of form would result in no club even considering appointing a specific manager is absurd. It happens all the time! At every level of the game.

Any number of variables can impact on a team's form. Robinson hasn't become a poor manager this season. He needs to work on a number of issues, but I suspect he knows that better than anyone.