The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

6 minutes ago, Div said:

I don't mind helping out the Women's team, it is part of the club after all, but 3.5% of annual subs seems a bit much IMO, especially since that's then coming off the discretionary spend pot which is the one bit I really like about the monthly membership.

I'd rather just help the women's team out on a case by case basis, same as the rest of the club, rather than just blindly signing off £6K pa.

Think for that reason I'll vote against on this one.

Me too. I am happy to contribute for kit, coaching, equipment etc, but resent paying for their yearly jaunt to Germany. This request really bugs me. There is no need to waste our £5k going to Germany for a week for a competition. If this continues I'd consider leaving SMiSA. 

I'd also like to supporters' money being used to benefit supporters. What happened to the TVs on the concourses? How about hot water and decent hand driers in the loos? 

Yeah I voted against the trip to Germany. I don't think the Women's team are even close to the stage where that could be deemed to be a sensible use of funds, IMO.

I know they need to invest to get to where they want to be, but even the first team don't get to go abroad for training camps FFS!

1 minute ago, Div said:

Yeah, they haven't even told the members they aren't opening. I had to email to find out!

I can't remember if they opened last year for league cup games or not but it's not a good look.

I do like the club but I'm seriously considering sacking it off and going back to drinking in the town centre.

The football club have invested the square root of f**k all in the place since it opened 7 years ago. All they seem interested in is taking the monthly subscriptions and giving as little back as possible.

I’ve just looked back at the last email written by the “interim 1877 committee” on 6th July 2023.

It says: “The 1877 Club will reopen for the 1st home league game of season.”

Also talk further on of increasing membership fees. Really?

4 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah I voted against the trip to Germany. I don't think the Women's team are even close to the stage where that could be deemed to be a sensible use of funds, IMO.

I know they need to invest to get to where they want to be, but even the first team don't get to go abroad for training camps FFS!

Northern Ireland was probably more expensive than Germany tbf. But I totally get where you are coming from. 

12 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Me too. I am happy to contribute for kit, coaching, equipment etc, but resent paying for their yearly jaunt to Germany. This request really bugs me. There is no need to waste our £5k going to Germany for a week for a competition. If this continues I'd consider leaving SMiSA. 

I'd also like to supporters' money being used to benefit supporters. What happened to the TVs on the concourses? How about hot water and decent hand driers in the loos? 

I would have liked to have seen the Marching On group get more funds to help with the painting of the stadium. What a transformation that team have carried out. 
I’m sure the W7 team could do with a helping hand towards displays (without pyro obviously!).

Ideally I’d put as a proposal that the SMISA membership funds could help towards building a safe standing zone between West and Family stand rather than some more fcuking hospitality shite.

Edited by Molotov

11 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’ve just looked back at the last email written by the “interim 1877 committee” on 6th July 2023.

It says: “The 1877 Club will reopen for the 1st home league game of season.”

Also talk further on of increasing membership fees. Really?

Yeah they've just now sent an email confirming it won't be open on Sat.

If they are going to put the prices up then they have to do something major to justify it, like actually spending some money on the place.

If they just put the prices up and it's the status quo then I think a lot of members will walk, me included, which could well be the end game I suppose.

6 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah they've just now sent an email confirming it won't be open on Sat.

If they are going to put the prices up then they have to do something major to justify it, like actually spending some money on the place.

If they just put the prices up and it's the status quo then I think a lot of members will walk, me included, which could well be the end game I suppose.

Would be a great ready made hospitality room if the commercial department want to extend. Just saying!

30 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah, they haven't even told the members they aren't opening. I had to email to find out!

I can't remember if they opened last year for league cup games or not but it's not a good look.

I do like the club but I'm seriously considering sacking it off and going back to drinking in the town centre.

The football club have invested the square root of f**k all in the place since it opened 7 years ago. All they seem interested in is taking the monthly subscriptions and giving as little back as possible.

Funnily enough I just emailed them to ask what if any LC games they are showing on St Mirren TV. I would have expected this to be shared well in advance but it has become the norm to need to ask. Again £150 per year, so it’s not unreasonable to have some expectations of service 😕

What about all the members who paid £60 upfront to help get it of the ground in the first place and have paid every month since are they not getting allowed any input into any changes like smisa members get. The interim committee want  to make changes ie.turning the trophy area into an executive box . raising the fees .Are our subs helping to pay for that or is the football club contributing as well.

Edited by elvis

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Whenever I've seen Strapp play he looked decent. Always got stuck in against us, played like he genuinely hates us (no bad thing). 

Really handy long throws too.

Looks like he has served his time in the championship and has earned a step up, if I'm not mistaken. 

Wouldn't mind signing him as long as he didn't turn out to be another Dougie Imrie.

What is the issue with Imrie's time at St. Mirren?

Genuinely curious - he played in one of the worst Morton sides in living memory but is remembered fondly for the penalty at Celtic and is making a decent job of being a manager.

11 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

What is the issue with Imrie's time at St. Mirren?

Genuinely curious - he played in one of the worst Morton sides in living memory but is remembered fondly for the penalty at Celtic and is making a decent job of being a manager.

Whether it was out of position or he didn't feel it at the club he just didn't gel with us.

Some folk are meant to be at certain clubs and Imrie was like that with Hamilton in the top flight.

We have the same thing with David van Zanten who just didn't click at any other club aside from ourselves.

2 hours ago, Molotov said:

IMG_3179.thumb.jpeg.9e77d06eb46888ba285c41f6509eb80f.jpeg

I don’t quite understand the problem with SMISA paying 3.5% towards the women’s team when we are paying 30% towards the youth academy. Both are speculative investments. 
I think if we’re going to grow the club it should be even more.
The women’s game has the potential to bring in a lot more people to the St Mirren family. 
There’s been a lot of posts here about Alan Wardrobe and the old guard, well I for one would like to see the new guard be a lot more inclusive and bringing in the women’s team and the support they have is a good move in my humble opinion. 

3 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

I don’t quite understand the problem with SMISA paying 3.5% towards the women’s team when we are paying 30% towards the youth academy. Both are speculative investments. 

How much money have you made off youth players in the last 10 years?

36 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

How much money have you made off youth players in the last 10 years?

Quite a bit ranging from the £Million plus we got for John McGinn down to whatever you gave is for Cammy MacPherson.

The academy funding is an intriguing and complex issue affecting all clubs. 

The ”success” rate at elite level is very low. It is estimated that 97% of players signed up to EPL academies never make a single first team appearance. 

https://theconversation.com/being-released-from-a-football-academy-takes-a-serious-toll-on-young-players-new-research-189196

Some of St Mirren academy successes in terms of transfer fees have been rejected from other clubs eg Kenny McLean & Lewis Morgan. 

We are a selling club. Our model now is to try to provide a route for players to progress and get fees throughout their future career path. I’m sure the board are still hopeful that Aston Villa sell McGinn but I reckon that’s unlikely now. 

I like to see players progress through the system and into the first team. Unfortunately managers past, present and future tend to favour journeymen over youth. We have seen us bringing in guys like Josh Heaton, Cody Cooke and various others at the expense of youth. 
The sacrifices that young players make going through the academy system when most are just shirt fillers must be incredibly hard mentally on those players and their families. 

I liked the old system where our club did a lot of things to prepare the academy kids with opportunities outside of football with trades and education. 
I am not sure that happens any more. 

The club are under pressure financially every year with the academy and we have seen significant cuts to staff in recent years due to high losses. 

1 hour ago, Friskysteed said:

I think if we’re going to grow the club it should be even more.
The women’s game has the potential to bring in a lot more people to the St Mirren family. 
There’s been a lot of posts here about Alan Wardrobe and the old guard, well I for one would like to see the new guard be a lot more inclusive and bringing in the women’s team and the support they have is a good move in my humble opinion. 

Yeah that is reasonable. I'm not against SMiSA putting money into the Women's Team and appreciate they are building from next to nothing, I think it was more the Germany trip that irked me as I thought there must surely be something better they (the Women's team) could have been spending that money on.

I'll maybe rethink my vote on the 3.5%.

2 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Just looked at ticket sales for Saturday. Very poor! I thought folk'd be itching to get back.  

Wow, the place is going to be empty looking at the website. Not very encouraging